super street question.

I'm going to shave weight by putting one under the hood. Be losing a battery, tray, and a **** ton of wire!

Didn't know the rules would allow that? But if it will work then that's what is going to happen!

Might have screwed you up, here is how the rule reads. Think the little s in (s) behind the battery rule may have screwed that idea, sorry.

NHRDA Super-Street
» Heads-Up class with a 4/10ths Pro Tree, Laddered by ET, Auto Start on
» 2wd Minimum weight: 5000 lbs (w/ Driver) �1%, slick tires permitted
» 4wd Minimum weight: 6000 lbs (w/ Driver) �1%, DOT approved tires required
» Tube chassis, back halved, 4-link, 3-link style rear suspension prohibited
(Traction/Ladder Bars allowed)
» Hood Stacks prohibited
» Must have OEM Style transmission (Lenco, Liberty, Bruno, Clutchflite, Danco,
or similar prohibited )
» Engine must be forward of OEM Firewall
» Fuel Tank must be in stock location.
» Battery(s) must be forward of OEM Firewall
» Must meet NHRA tech and safety requirements for MPH and ET
» Must meet NHRA and/or IHRA licensing requirements for MPH and ET

Might have screwed you up, here is how the rule reads. Think the little s in (s) behind the battery rule may have screwed that idea, sorry.

Not screwed at all! That mean any and all battery(s) must be under the hood. Run one or run 2, 3 is even fine as long as it's all up front. If you're running a 12v cummins you only need a battery for the trans, NOS, etc....a lawn mower battery might suffice...use a jump pack to start it!

Last edited:
They already let us 2wd guys run true slicks, if they let us start moving weight rearward with battery relocation, you 4x4 guys wouldn't stand a chance!

Nothing in the rules says you can't put other ballast weight back there.

Nothing in the rules says you can't put other ballast weight back there.

If my 65% to 35% weight bias was flipped around to where 65% was on the rear axle.... look out, I'd be able to hook up with Mud Terrain street tires!

I have actually thought about adding ballast. Right now, I'm at 5400 lbs with driver so I/the truck need to lose 400 lbs before I start thinking about adding ballast.

Super Street is a future dream, the 11.90 index class is the perfect fit for my current power level. My goal is to get my truck to roll off the line with a consistent 5psi launch 2.1 second 60' time and run 11.90 @ 130 MPH. That should trip up all the other competitors that like to "fender race"!!!

Does anyone have an NHRA rule book? Wondering what the NHRA safety rules say about fuel tanks in the drivers compartment. The talk around here lately was to build a mid 50's F100 since I have 2 trucks worth of parts sitting at home. Only issue is the fuel tank in the stock location puts it in the drivers compartment. Planning to do an 11.90 build and then work into the SS class. Thoughts?

our SS/PS duramax.. currently with a scattered motor and still strapped to the trailer.. has a small fuel "cell" in stock location with one battery under the hood and a bed exit stack

haha last time i was at the track it was more like laggggggggg 330' mark SPOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLL but the slicks were cold and it was past the better track prep so I skated down the rest of the track. Hopefully the new converter and cam fix that though (and having the nitrous useable) but ill never be at the track due to work and my parts pile will just get bigger and bigger.

Last edited:
Does anyone have an NHRA rule book? Wondering what the NHRA safety rules say about fuel tanks in the drivers compartment. The talk around here lately was to build a mid 50's F100 since I have 2 trucks worth of parts sitting at home. Only issue is the fuel tank in the stock location puts it in the drivers compartment. Planning to do an 11.90 build and then work into the SS class. Thoughts?

NHRA rules require the fuel tank to be sealed from the driver's compartment with sheet metal.
FUEL SYSTEM
All fuel-tank filler necks located inside trunk must have filler neck
vented to outside of body. Vented caps prohibited. All batteries, fuel
lines, fuel pumps, or filler necks located inside trunk require
complete bulkhead of at least .024-inch steel or .032-inch aluminum
to isolate driver compartment from trunk. Fuel lines must be located
outside driver compartment. Fuel tanks must be within confines of
the body. See General Regulations 1:5.

NHRA rules require the fuel tank to be sealed from the driver's compartment with sheet metal.

Thanks Michael...I guess that could be interpreted the same for the anywhere inside the body as long as you had the 0.024 steel or 0.032 aluminum completely surrounding the tank.

Yup, a friend with a '69 Chevy pickup was told the same thing, he needed to build a "firewall" to separate the tank from the passenger compartment. Eventually he went to fuel cell in the bed.

Michael - Do you know how the "firewall" has to be attached to the body? Can it be secured with bolts/screws, or does it have to be welded?

The Super Street rules is what made me change my plans to Pro Street,, not only that, but there is not really any difference in times between ss and ps... plus I can make my truck lighter and therefore easier on parts.

The Super Street rules is what made me change my plans to Pro Street,, not only that, but there is not really any difference in times between ss and ps... plus I can make my truck lighter and therefore easier on parts.

I think you will find that a much higher percentage of Prostreet trucks break during an event than Superstreet trucks. The average Prostreet truck and ave Superstreet trucks times may be similiar, but the really quick Prostreet trucks are a good half sec or more quicker then the fastest Superstreet trucks. The current records are a full second different. I think the Superstreet record will drop to about 9.5 or so but I think the Prostreet record will go to around 8.5 or so. Trucks like the Hummin Cummins once they get it dialed in should flat move.