Swole...Again!

Still haven't learned your lesson huh? :poke:

Nope!

I'm the same Idiot that I've always been!

"Old dog....New tricks"!

We'll find out soon If it was my mistake or something else.
But at least I'm quick to admit / appoligize for my mistakes.

:Cheer:

Last edited:
David,

Glad to see it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

In an unrelated topic, what wrist pins are you using? Didn't look stock.

Still haven't learned your lesson huh? :poke:

Just re-read most of pages 14-16.

I was very careful and stated several times that the info was third hand from Shaun and NOT confirmed through Mahle until this mornings post..

If everyone read each post, there should be no judgements until Mahle completes the inspections... But I still prob. should have waited... It was just how things transpired after joesixpack posted his findings of my pics..

So, maybe I am learning just a Wee little bit Greg....

:stab:
David,

Glad to see it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

In an unrelated topic, what wrist pins are you using? Didn't look stock.

Yes Sir, those are modded / coated wrist pins that come from Mahle with the set of Monotherms... They are Way Cool huh!!??

That coating (forget the name of it) is awesome..It looked like new when I pulled them out.

They are lighter to help counter the heavier piston also.

efb98b42.jpg

4690399a.jpg

Last edited:
As you can see, the wear marks should be toward the bottom of my pistons where as my wear marks were on top.. As the piston was coming down the wall, I guess it was trapping oil in the upside down gap and causing it to lift and let oil pass by to the top rings.

Updating the pics from the page before... I hated the pics of the computer screen so I just took screen shots from my phone and they look better.

f221152e.jpg

094ff840.jpg

they look shorter than stock too (due to the Mahle piston design).

DLC coating I assume?

I wonder if Mahle offers the same type of pin for other applications?

Including those nice wrist pins with the pistons kind of brings the price of the piston down a little closer to some other options that don't come with a better wristpin.

they look shorter than stock too (due to the Mahle piston design).

DLC coating I assume?

I wonder if Mahle offers the same type of pin for other applications?

Including those nice wrist pins with the pistons kind of brings the price of the piston down a little closer to some other options that don't come with a better wristpin.

Just looked back at an email from Eric at Mahle.
Yes, it's DLC coating.

Not sure what they offer for other applications but I can forward you his info if you want to ask him.

Last edited:
Do they offer a set of file fit rings? You could offset the hone job opening the bore up a tad large for standard rings if they did. I'm assuming they ship with pre-sized rings for your bore.

Do they offer a set of file fit rings? You could offset the hone job opening the bore up a tad large for standard rings if they did. I'm assuming they ship with pre-sized rings for your bore.

Don't know if they do or not.

Is this a common method to counter a larger ptw than desired?

Will have to see if Mahle recommends this way.

I think it would help seal, but then the concern turns towards piston slap/ sideward play.

That is not what file fit rings are for. They are for those who wish to set their own ring gap or make up SLIGHT differences in bore diameter. Or custom sealing porperties.

The only why to make up for excessive piston to wall clearance is the tighten it up!! Either with larger pistons or smaller bores.

Rings are for SEALLING the cylinder; isolating the combustion chamber from the crank case and nothing more.

Didn't think this was a common practice.

Until we hone it and measure, I won't know how off it is yet.

Once Mahle inspects the monos and we can get the bores measured, I won't know which direction I'm going.

Did your machinist use a torque plate when they bored/honed the cylinders last time?

Yeah, it was torque plated the time before my melt down...And Torque Plated again after my melt down when they cleaned the block up..

Hopefully just a ball hone for a good cross hatch will be in order this time.

That is not what file fit rings are for. They are for those who wish to set their own ring gap or make up SLIGHT differences in bore diameter. Or custom sealing porperties.

The only why to make up for excessive piston to wall clearance is the tighten it up!! Either with larger pistons or smaller bores.

Rings are for SEALLING the cylinder; isolating the combustion chamber from the crank case and nothing more.

I wasn't thinking that a quick hone job on a 5k mile engine would necessitate anything more than a "SLIGHT difference in bore diameter". I'd think the wear to be negligible after the rings were containing all the oil between them not expelling it.

Glad to see you getting some work done before racing season gets away. Are you going to be building for the new SS class? :rockwoot:
Billy

Glad to see you getting some work done before racing season gets away. Are you going to be building for the new SS class? :rockwoot:
Billy

Thanks Billy..

No Sir.. going to leave everything as is for a long while... Keep it a street / strip toy... Maybe do some Quick Diesel stuff with it detuned a bit.

I just need to enjoy if for a while and catch up on some bills..