Swole...Again!

:Cheer:
I'd say it's your problem also. I noticed that 2nd ring upside down when first viewing your picks, and thought about his issue. There is no way #2 can do it's job if it's flipped. Check those bores real close, hopefully you're looking at a quickie ball hone, new rings and back together.
I don't know if Shawns is up and running yet, but I told him to kick in in the ass right out of the gate and not baby his like he did the first time either.

Man I hope that's all I have to do!! (fingers crossed)
I'm SO tired of these issues I can hardly keep saine!!!

Shaun is not up and running yet.
He text me just about every day / week.

Jeff's gonna mic the block and look at everything well when he gets home from his trip.

I hope I can find a trailer to hook to right off the bat once it's back together!!
Get this thing broken in GOOD!!:rockwoot:

Can't wait to see what Mahle has to say.

Obviously this is not an isolated issue, it could have much wider spread ramifications.

Well, I just need to get with Mahle and see first.
Either way, mistakes happen and I'm sure stuff like this is what they'll want to know.
I just hate that this kinda chit happens to me!! *bdh*

Now I can't hardly Wait to get it back together!!!

If Mahle finds that they have a manufacturing error, then the can easily correct it. And hopefully issue a memo stating. Any rings purchased from Mahle before xx date has a error in the 2nd ring marking. Or possibly (doubtful), they could recall and reissue ring packages after the issue is fixed.

They can't fix it if they don't get the kind of data you are providing...just sucks for you.

Hey Swole here is a shot of mine zoom in its marked top on the second ring. I will pull one of my pistons soon to insure mine is not marked wrong either before I pull the head down. My rings came in Mahle packing and have a M marking thinking its Mahles own. The shiny one being chrome faced. Hopefully its just that simple even though you lost valuable drive/race time. "Joesixpack" very nice call on that one also are your new Mono's look like mine without the skirt covers like your old ones?

Chris.

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc364/Freezingsystems/Drag%20Truck%20build%202011/DSC01798.jpg

Yes Please check yours!!!

I didn't remember what they said when I was installing them..but I do remember a mark of some sort....

BTW, if you just copy that last link under the pics in photobucket ( the one labled "image code") and paste it, the pic with appear on screen..Not just the link.

Last edited:
If Mahle finds that they have a manufacturing error, then the can easily correct it. And hopefully issue a memo stating. Any rings purchased from Mahle before xx date has a error in the 2nd ring marking. Or possibly (doubtful), they could recall and reissue ring packages after the issue is fixed.

They can't fix it if they don't get the kind of data you are providing...just sucks for you.

I just hope they don't think I called them out publicly.
I found out from Shaun that his were marked wrong AFTER I posted my pics yesterday.
I was simply just trying to get ideas on what the prob. could be from you guys.

Oh well, They've been really cool so far...Hopefully they'll understand that it wasn't done in spite..

Had it not been late on a Friday and I could have gotten ahold of them, I wouldn't have posted the pics then...Would have waited to see what they wanted me to do.

Chris or anyone,

Are there ring packs that have oil scraper rings that can go either way??

Or are they all marked for a "top side" like the top ring??

Could mine being upside down have been pulling the oil up and passed the top ring?

If the ring is not marked it can go either way, if it's marked with a dot, triangle, square etc it's supposed to face up, note that the mark could be further back past the ring gap than expected.

If the ring is not marked it can go either way, if it's marked with a dot, triangle, square etc it's supposed to face up, note that the mark could be further back past the ring gap than expected.

I do remember there being marks and I faced them Up like I was supposed to.

But obviously it was still wrong.

Last edited:
Thanks David. Sorry about your truck. I am sure between you and Jeff and all that are helping, it will be back to roll on burn outs in no time. My truck is in his shop now. Trans, I believe is complete and installed. I guess Jeff is trying to find the oil leak.

Thanks David. Sorry about your truck. I am sure between you and Jeff and all that are helping, it will be back to roll on burn outs in no time. My truck is in his shop now. Trans, I believe is complete and installed. I guess Jeff is trying to find the oil leak.

No prob. man!! I hope it runs even better this time.. It should with rings oriented correctly! lol

You love the trans!!

I do indeed love Jeff's trans. He built it about a year ago and I broke the input shaft while dogging it. He said he put a new billet in and replaced the front clutch pack. Everything else looks good. Slow poke's converter works awesome as well.

Bump for Sunday night crowd.

Any other thoughts on this?
Anyone ever see pistons with an oil scraper ring installed upside down?

My only thought is that hopefully your luck is changing........and I have a trailer or 40, if you wanna pull something:hehe::woohoo::evil:poke:

Hastings Manufacturing did a study on their oil rings being installed upside down and their test data showed that the oil consumption per quart of oil was only 3800 miles per quart before damage was done. When installed correctly, 8000 miles per quart. I know these are not Hastings Man. rings, but just showing that a study has been done. So that means you are the first to make this mistake. Maybe it helps, maybe not, but at least you have a pretty good idea of what happened.
Untitled Document

Hastings Manufacturing did a study on their oil rings being installed upside down and their test data showed that the oil consumption per quart of oil was only 3800 miles per quart before damage was done. When installed correctly, 8000 miles per quart. I know these are not Hastings Man. rings, but just showing that a study has been done. So that means you are the first to make this mistake. Maybe it helps, maybe not, but at least you have a pretty good idea of what happened.
Untitled Document

Great info with that link!!
And that was 53% more oil use with Only One of the rings up side down!!

With mine marked incorrectly, all 6 were up side down!

I used approx. 3 quarts in only approx. 4000 miles! :doh:

Hopefully all you need is a hone job. The rings should torque against the cylinder wall, even if it was the wrong way. You had to be pumping some major fuel and air to get all that oil to burn with it. I guess when you were not hotrodding it is when the top of the pistons filled and probably had a rough time buring during compression stroke and that is where the crappy running came in and left residue that carboned up?

just found the tread, hopes it works out for you man.

Well missing 4 months of driving it sux if it was due to mismarked rings, but if thats all it was It should be back up and running pretty soon.

I can hardly wait!