Swole...Again!

Swole what did your rings look like in color did the top ring have a silver finish. Look at my pistons different than yours and joes mine dont have that removeable collar like Joe's and yours. Could the rings have been lined up in one or more bores where they floated or moved in alignement allowing serious blowby? Just throwing a few more out there may have been talked about. At least your bores look good and no pistons issues or rods etc. Make sure to have some good rough RA finish on the walls and run the piss out of it when you get her back together to seat the rings some say you have only the first 20 min to do it in. Mahle should put in their instrucitons do a 1 mile burnout to seat rings after first fire up. LOL. Chris.

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc364/Freezingsystems/DSC01797.jpg

Swole what did your rings look like in color did the top ring have a silver finish. Look at my pistons different than yours and joes mine dont have that removeable collar like Joe's and yours. Could the rings have been lined up in one or more bores where they floated or moved in alignement allowing serious blowby? Just throwing a few more out there may have been talked about. At least your bores look good and no pistons issues or rods etc. Make sure to have some good rough RA finish on the walls and run the piss out of it when you get her back together to seat the rings some say you have only the first 20 min to do it in. Mahle should put in their instrucitons do a 1 mile burnout to seat rings after first fire up. LOL. Chris.

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc364/Freezingsystems/DSC01797.jpg

Wow! That's weird.. It just looks like they never installed the plates on yours.... I wonder if that would actually be better? That way the oil splash could just constantly hit the underside of the crown / ring area...

hmmmmmm...

I'll post pics here in just a min...

BTW...I WANT THOSE RODS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MAN! I wished I wasn't a broke a$$!
Those are nice!!!!!!!!!!

These have been just sitting in the truck with the head off for quite some time.. So there is a little topical rust on a few / in a few areas.... It wipes right off.

8c78486f.jpg

e07431b5.jpg

Last edited:
Darn Swole...the tops of those pistons look like doodoo and the carbon build up above the rings seems like a lot for the amount of time they have been in your truck. Are they way too loose?

Other pics I took of my modded VP rods.....They looked straight as an arrow..

2ffa389d.jpg

69416345.jpg

913aea25.jpg

9683edee.jpg

8fdbf6a0.jpg

Just a reminder Pic that I shot today of my "Rack of Shame" / Carnage rack at Garmons

Had to add the background plates for fun...lol

a0356ed3.jpg

Ya Swole dam maybe its me but 2500 miles that carbon buildup looks extreme but maybe the PTW is way off allowing the oil to pass hence causing that buildup. Yes my pistons look as if those covers where just removed even have that little hole for the retainers. I may pull one of mine this weekend and get a better look see. Im not sure about the oil getting to the crown evenly though without the retainers or baffles in mine and no direct shot in the crown. A little lighter for sure how about getting some in the hollow area thats what I thought Joe was doing getting to the actual crown void area. I bought the crowers for this build nice rods for the money but they dont have the oiling hole in the small end like my carrillo's do. I have carrillos in my 6.7 DD very nice rod for sure. But my drag motor is for track use only so im sure its getting tore down every season for refresh. Gets some pics of your bore's im curious on how it looks. Did you use break in oil on your new build?

What wade is trying to say is you should check the out-of-round and maybe run a rigid hone to check for washboarding.

Check for me what the rings are made of, the top compression ring looks to be a chromium style ring. You might check and see if they have a molybdenum ring set.

The top side of the piston (above the compression ring looks eaten away almost, could be just build up hopefully.

How are the valve guides and seals? Might be leaking oil down and do to gas loading (normal) could be pushing that buildup down there more than supposed to.

txt if easier

Last edited:
Darn Swole...the tops of those pistons look like doodoo and the carbon build up above the rings seems like a lot for the amount of time they have been in your truck. Are they way too loose?

This is the same block I've been using since CSnyder gave it to me.. It did get cleaned up when I had that last melt down.. But I could swear the bore was supposed to be 4.017 I believe... I'm just going to have to get this one measured again to make sure.

Ya Swole dam maybe its me but 2500 miles that carbon buildup looks extreme but maybe the PTW is way off allowing the oil to pass hence causing that buildup. Yes my pistons look as if those covers where just removed even have that little hole for the retainers. I may pull one of mine this weekend and get a better look see. Im not sure about the oil getting to the crown evenly though without the retainers or baffles in mine and no direct shot in the crown. A little lighter for sure how about getting some in the hollow area thats what I thought Joe was doing getting to the actual crown void area. I bought the crowers for this build nice rods for the money but they dont have the oiling hole in the small end like my carrillo's do. I have carrillos in my 6.7 DD very nice rod for sure. But my drag motor is for track use only so im sure its getting tore down every season for refresh. Gets some pics of your bore's im curious on how it looks. Did you use break in oil on your new build?

It's actually 4000 miles or so.
I think I used just Valvoline Premium Blue for Break in.
Then Added the two bottles of REV-X at my first change which was like 500-800 miles, I think.

Swole, did you have that block honed and pistons matched to each cylinder at the machine shop?

A chrome ring will not seat properly to a cylinder wall unless it has been straightened at a machine shop and letting that shop know that you'll be using chromium rings would be smart. Normally a chrome ring is used in a pure performance application do to the extremely hard chrom face and the fact that they are hard to seat because of the minimal wear that the ring sees. They are not recommended for DD.

Last edited:
What wade is trying to say is you should check the out-of-round and maybe run a rigid hone to check for washboarding.

Check for me what the rings are made of, the top compression ring looks to be a chromium style ring. You might check and see if they have a molybdenum ring set.

The top side of the piston (above the compression ring looks eaten away almost, could be just build up hopefully.

How are the valve guides and seals? Might be leaking oil down and do to gas loading (normal) could be pushing that buildup down there more than supposed to.

txt if easier

Yes, we'll have to check the block..But it's still in the frame...These were pulled in frame.

Not sure on the ring package.

Thats just build up I'm sure...The pistons looks great under the little bit I wiped off on other parts.... I just wanted Mahle to see those pistons in the exact shape the came out in.

I hope the guides and seals are good.. They should be new as of this build (the first time).. Only have 4000 miles on this head since it was worked.

Cylindar wall finish to me and maybe its the pics may look to smooth for inital break in again throwing ideas by no mean placing blame but here is a pic of mine done to Mahle's exact requirements of 20-30 RA bored .20 final hone with torque plate to 150ft lbs 14mm studs .007 PTW. Our rings have a chrome face and require that finish to seat per Mahles instructions.

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc364/Freezingsystems/Drag%20Truck%20build%202011/DSC01806.jpg

Yeah, these pics suck since there just with my phone... I forgot I had a flash on this iphone 4 (haven't had it long)

As far as what the shop did to my block, I've not a clue...Jeff just sent it off and they cleaned it up from that last melt down... It did look good when it was returned though..

I guess once Eric (Mahle) gets these things and can inspect them, Maybe they can tell me more about what they think..

Swole, did you have that block honed and pistons matched to each cylinder at the machine shop?

A chrome ring will not seat properly to a cylinder wall unless it has been straightened at a machine shop and letting that shop know that you'll be using chromium rings would be smart. Normally a chrome ring is used in a pure performance application do to the extremely hard chrom face and the fact that they are hard to seat because of the minimal wear that the ring sees. They are not recommended for DD.

No the machine shop didn't have my pistons... I'd not recieved them yet when the block / head were sent out.

I had no clue about that ring info..
I also have no clue what rings they sent me.. They were in a Mahle package though.
I'll have to have Eric read these post and then maybe that'll shed some light on this issue too..