Swole...Again!

A bent rod normally wouldent cause any damage, unless it wasbent so bad it would cause the piston to hit the counterweight on the crank.

Certainly no oil consumption swould result from a bent rod.

Ring retention....that most likley what your going to find ....a ring issue. when oil cant cool very hot metal the excessive heat makes the rings loose there retention, it's also very possible you stuck a ring in one of the piston ring grooves. again caused from lack of cool oil.

Thanks guys!!
BTW Aaron, I didn't go anywhere near your truck or engine stuff...LOL
I don't want my luck to wear off onto you!

Well we'll just have to see when I get them out... Only thing that still make me think it's related to the injector tip splitting is that my sputtering / white smoke / Oil usage didn't seem to start until then..

I need to make sure the cylinders are still completely round also..

I simply just can't wait to get it back together.....

Last edited:
Oh David no worries go ahead check it out. Im not worried about any of your bad luck wearing off, I have a dose all my own.

This thing should have been starting to wrap up but instead Im waiting on back ordered extra long main studs. Hopefully they come in this week, Haisley said they should.....So time will tell.

keep us posted

Sound like things are starting to look better for ya Swole! :rockwoot:

How big of a job is it to pull the pistons "in frame" ? Whats are some of the tricks?

Sound like things are starting to look better for ya Swole! :rockwoot:

How big of a job is it to pull the pistons "in frame" ? Whats are some of the tricks?

Well I'd love to say I've done it but I haven't!
Everytime I miss something up, the whole thing has to come out! lol

Pretty much what I understand is that you losen the motor mounts, jack up the motor a bit, pull the pan, take out the block stiffner & oil pick up, and then just untorque the rod bolts and push the rod/pistons out the top.

We're just going to run a beed hone through it and the reinstall this pistons with fresh rings.

Any updates? Keep checking, its kinda like waiting for the next episode of your favorite show.

Any updates? Keep checking, its kinda like waiting for the next episode of your favorite show.

Well its funny you should ask.. Sticky (Kyle) called me yesterday and said that they pulled the pistons out yesterday for me... :)

Ever since before Christmas when I stopped driving it, timing has just Never worked out for me. Jeff got married and traveled on several trips, and I've had so much personal BS going on that the truck had to take back seat.

So Friday I'm headed down to get the piston's..I've got to ship them to Mahle.. They want to inspect them and moddify them to their new specs. They adopted the same Mod that Chris (joesixpack) did to his a few years ago..It will help in cooling the crown / ring area..(This may be the actual problem I had.. Just not sure yet until I inspect the rods, cylinder walls, etc and for them to inspect the piston's & rings)

So hopefully if Mahle mods them quickly and I can get my Personal BS wrapped up... I've have it back together in a couple weeks..

I'm thinking its time to swap in a duramax if the cummins breaks again. Lol.

LOL

Not that I don't like a Dmax but I believe it's just my "Luck" to have issues with just about everything fun in my life...:doh:

The Cummins has proven Way reliable for most everyone else... I just have "Stupid" luck that causes Weird Chit to happen to my motors..

I guess we'll see this time... If I have another issue ( and I know I've said this before) it WILL be parted out!! Then a stock motor goes in...

Last edited:
Keep us posted Swole hope its nothing serious. I have a new set of Mono's in my build now that I recieved around November last year they do not have the mod's like Joesixpack did. I have not fired it up still on the stand but I am going to pull them and do the same thing before I fire this beast up. Maybe I will shoot them over the Eric at Mahle for the same treatment. Anyway very intrested in the outcome hoping to prevent any issues you had. Sorry for your many many loss's you deserve a good outcome already.

Chris.

Keep us posted Swole hope its nothing serious. I have a new set of Mono's in my build now that I recieved around November last year they do not have the mod's like Joesixpack did. I have not fired it up still on the stand but I am going to pull them and do the same thing before I fire this beast up. Maybe I will shoot them over the Eric at Mahle for the same treatment. Anyway very intrested in the outcome hoping to prevent any issues you had. Sorry for your many many loss's you deserve a good outcome already.

Chris.

Definately!!

This is a pic that Chris found, showing how Mahle adopted his way to make it more like a stock oiling system / piston.

I'll definately post up when I get them back..

BTW...Did you leave the oil squirters on the wrist pin area or did you bend then severly over to the side to get into the crown area?

fddd2502.jpg

Last edited:
I have waited to see the outcome of yours so no have not done that yet. I was thinking of fabricating new ones from stainless I dont trust the plastic retainer with the heat they seem to warp or disfigure slightly on engines that are pushed hard and this one of mine is not going to have a nice life. Thanks for the pics those look great wish mine came that way.

I have waited to see the outcome of yours so no have not done that yet. I was thinking of fabricating new ones from stainless I dont trust the plastic retainer with the heat they seem to warp or disfigure slightly on engines that are pushed hard and this one of mine is not going to have a nice life. Thanks for the pics those look great wish mine came that way.

Sorry I've kept you waiting so long!! lol

I'll take pics or a vid of them Friday and post up.. Just so you can see the condition after approx. 4000 miles..

I'll ship them to Eric Friday as well.... Then I'll wait to hear from him and post up too..

Edit: Just spoke with Eric and he's aware they'll be on the way..

Last edited:
Driving back now. Just shipped the pistons / rings to Mahle.

Will post pics later.

No broken rings.
Rods don't look bent at all.
Cylinder walls look good.
Rings don't look to have lost tension.

WTH???

I'm wondering ( wild shot in the dark )
Could have adding the REV-X so soon after just building, not allow the rings to seat and cause lots off blow by / oil burning??

Will have to wait and see if Mahle can tell me whats up.

Gonna have to check my cylinders again for actual bore size and then look at ring gaps on the ones I put back in.

Driving back now. Just shipped the pistons / rings to Mahle.

Will post pics later.

No broken rings.
Rods don't look bent at all.
Cylinder walls look good.
Rings don't look to have lost tension.

WTH???

I'm wondering ( wild shot in the dark )
Could have adding the REV-X so soon after just building, not allow the rings to seat and cause lots off blow by / oil burning??

Will have to wait and see if Mahle can tell me whats up.

Gonna have to check my cylinders again for actual bore size and then look at ring gaps on the ones I put back in.

Distorted bore is my next guess, Ring break in /Bore finish may be another culprit.

Measure the bore with out the head on first, then have the guys put the head on /or use a TQ plate and TQ the studs down and re measure the same bore, make sure they get a 360* measure ment to see high spots in the bore too.