Swole...Again!

David,

You can't take up an oversized bore with rings.

As Joe stated, your options would be to sleeve it or a new block. If its just one or two holes, sleeving is the best bet. It runs about $150 a hole. I have one sleeved hole in my engine.

Like Don said, gapless rings are not good for street applications.

Here is the problem that I believe I talked with you about in NC and that alot of people just don't comprehend...

You, and a large majority of people, for some reason are trying to have 800+ hp daily drivers :confused: While a cool idea...it is just not practical for a number of reasons. First, IT'S DANGEROUS!!! Second, Alot of typical stock parts just don't hold up to the streeses causing catastrophic expensive failures or the need to tear them down for preventive maintanance often. Or, race specific parts designed for those kind of levels, do not last or work well under the stresses of daily driving. So basically, if those levels are desired for a daily driver, you better be resigned to tearing the engine down at least once a year if not more. But for some reason, everyone thinks they can basically build race engines that are going to last 100k mi :doh:

Just my $.02

I was going to post what I'm about to type Even Before I read "The" Jeff Garmon's post below!

Greg!! You are 100% Right!!!

Very Nice Post my friend!!

I simply want something that is just NOT practical or Smart!

BUT! There are SO many folks that have High HP trucks the are street driven and track toys that have live WAY longer than 2500-4500 miles... I just simply keep having absolutely STUPID / FREAK weird chit happen to me that it' just crazy to think about....

We'll see how the next one goes....
As for my truck really being a daily driver, well its not and never would be..Infact, I work so dang much that I don't get to drive it hardly ever... And if I just need to do some quick running around and save $, I just take the TDI...

So, what I'm trying to do isn't really THAT unthinkable....

I still want it!!! :evil

That is the most intelligent statement of 2010!!!! :bow:

I'll 2nd this Statement!!!!!

But still reserve my above comments too!! lol

Why should you have to use different rings to better suit a piston?

Gap-less rings?......Waste of your money and time!

I was just simply asking a question because I have ZERO experience with them...

I guess I got my answer from several folks..and it WAS consistant with a big Fat NO!!!! lol

^^^^^^ gregs getting scared your gonna wreck more motors then him David - lol

Yeah he IS!!!!!! LOL

i can understand about the high hp daily drivers--- but i have 25,000+ on mine....... but david imho doesnt have enough miles on the motor to worry about motor wear....

So far I think my first one (perf. build that Jeff did) lasted the longest at about 7K miles... Blown Freeze plug took care of that one!!

i like the possible hydro lock idea causing a rod or ring issue

I hope that's it just so I can fee a bit better about my work and judgements...At least then I'd know it was just simply bad luck as usual...

and i have to disagree about the 800 hp being dangerous on the street..... just because my truck will make the number doesnt mean i need to drive it like a 800 hp truck on the street

I have to agree! I never turned my stuff down and could drive with some sense all day and Never know you had 800+ on tap....Thats what I LOVE about a Diesel!!!

-Can David break an anvil by being around it and making turbo sounds?................... (answer) lol

:rockwoot:

:drive:

there is NOTHING PRACTICAL about ANYTHING we do!!! But life is to short to worry about practiality.

Also it is all just hearsay until the motor is torn down- and the cause is found. could be simple or its just the C.O.W. lol

Last edited:
David I shot this video this morning when others were being posted. Is this how yours was? Mine seems to be the same description as yours as far as problems. I do not have the losing oil other than my leak so its hard to tell. I really await to see what you find also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFDH_qgDYrM

That's pretty nasty. My 13mm pump sounds like a sewing machine compared to that.

David I shot this video this morning when others were being posted. Is this how yours was? Mine seems to be the same description as yours as far as problems. I do not have the losing oil other than my leak so its hard to tell. I really await to see what you find also.

I hate to say it but mines isn't even that bad...

But I don't think it's been quite that cold on my starts here... We've been down in the twenty's here a bit this year but I usually keep my block heater plugged in...So the white smoke is cut down considerably and warm up to drive "Sputtering Free" is cut down..

What I'm wondering about your truck would be, how would it drive had you tried to drive it just after that start up vid...?

If I had a better phone ( haven't upgrade for my old POS 3G iphone...No vid) I could get video of my "Sputtering" while driving cold...

I discribe it as, " driving a gas burner with a few plug wires pulled off ".... Then when boost comes up, it obviously starts sealing up and burning that fuel...runs smooth until I stop again...

Once warm, the only sign of issues is just a very slight stumble right off idle / low rpms while driving / cruising on hwy...

Starts all over again when cold start again...

Do you still have stock pistons? What size injectors?
How does yours run when warm / norm. opp. temps?

It's insides are all stock except a H2 cam. Flux 4.5's. The trucks runs fine and has not much unusual smoke once its warmed up. If I plug it in at night it starts right up and has a much less noticiable haze but still one is there. My boost levels are down about 10psi when at WOT on the road now. That happened about 500 miles into having everything all put back together this spring. I really want to yank my head off and look but don't want to spend the time and money for it now.

It's insides are all stock except a H2 cam. Flux 4.5's. The trucks runs fine and has not much unusual smoke once its warmed up. If I plug it in at night it starts right up and has a much less noticiable haze but still one is there. My boost levels are down about 10psi when at WOT on the road now. That happened about 500 miles into having everything all put back together this spring. I really want to yank my head off and look but don't want to spend the time and money for it now.

Down 10 psi?

Is your SOP meter saying power is down too?

I totally understand about the money and time... I have so little of both these days...I'm sure that a story we're all used to these days..

Keep us posted man!

My SOP meter is about the same I rarely ever make over 30psi while driving. Any more throttle than that and its more than I need. I did make 763hp two weeks ago at Beans and never had over 20k psi of rail pressure so I can't imagine it has lost much and was also at 80 psi of boost on first run so its holding fine I think.

Last edited:
Okay...

Well, if /when you pull the head, keep us posted..

Thanks for posting the vid though..

10 psi low in cold "boost loving" weather-- doesnt sound good

my truck sounds just like that at startup in the video but with in 5-10 sec it all smooths out and just has the normal cold 10* temp haze

It was down 10 when it was 90 out not now. I see what i use to again now for the most part.

It was down 10 when it was 90 out not now. I see what i use to again now for the most part.

It was hard to tell for sure, but it looked like you had an exhaust leak. It might just have been smoke blowing forward under the truck.

Paul

Have you ran a compression test? Ive seen a 14.5:1 compression common rail smoke less and fire quicker than that when started in the morning. Granted it wasnt as cold as where you are, but still.

^^^^ cold has alot to do with it..... even the difference from 10* to 30* makes a difference

Update:

Due to the holiday week and scheduled time away for Garmon & crew, I won't have the ablility start on pulling it down untill close the new year...

We can awaken this thread when there's something to report....

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to All !!

David

Last edited: