Swole's Carnage AGAIN!!!!

i always run the mp-8 wfo on every pass,find another tree to bark up...tuning and build is the answer...

I'd definately go back with 03-04 pistons. Just finished pulling mine and don't think I've ever been more relieved. Seat dropped and is cocked sideways but didn't get into the piston. The piston and cyl walls all look brand new. The only difference I see is that there is no discernable spray pattern. Maybe I didn't look close enough but they all looked just black.

This is after seeing my 2k pyro bury more times than I'd care to admit to myself, one being when it hit 2k by the 1/8 and I stayed in it through the 1/4.

i always run the mp-8 wfo on every pass,find another tree to bark up...tuning and build is the answer...

From what Dockboy posted and other info on rail pressure spike that isn't a good thing. Wouldnt say that was the determining factor that toasted the motoer but it had to be something to do with the line blowing off.

From what Dockboy posted and other info on rail pressure spike that isn't a good thing. Wouldnt say that was the determining factor that toasted the motoer but it had to be something to do with the line blowing off.

I'd have to agree with bones. Mine too is wfo for every pass. Gradually letting off the peddle is something I think we all are realizing we need to do to avoid those spikes

Well I guess drag racers can do that pullers can't really. But spikes of 33k on rail pressure is asking for trouble. If you could potentialy save the motor by turning the dial down a bit why not? Recently I have taken my pressure box off completly and will just hooke it up when I hook. I thought injectors every 60k was bad couldn't Imiagine a new motor every 2500. Next time mine goes though it's getting 03-04 pistons and injectors. Wish we knew more about this when i build my motor.

It seems the easiest way to control pressure spikes is to install a pressure relief valve that's set to you target max pressure.

I don't care who's tuning you're using, custom standalone ecm or not, every system is going to experience a pressure spike when you go from full load/full fuel demand to zero demand. How fast can an FCA react anyway? 1/10 of a second of 36K psi still beats on the injectors 5-10 injection events when you're turning 3500 rpm.

Another thing to think about is what the prv actually allows, not what it's set at. Say you had one set to 27k. Sure it may relieve at 27k but I think it may still be possible for it to spike a couple thousand over the mop of the prv with the amount of fuel were pushing. Maybe not if it flows enough but just a thought.

Hmmm wonder if the timing on the smarty is doing this or?? I lost #3 melted piston plasma cut valve??? Or maybe a combo of the MP-8 and smarty?

You just don't get it do you. The only way that any 124° injector can spray directly onto the crown, is if the pintle is hung open.

If it is actually a 124* injector...

I did get a P0236 code ( map sensor too high for too long ) code a couple times that night
I got the 0236 code for the 1st time on the day I melted down too

We will all only help if you promise to use an EGT gauge this time!
I don't think EGT gauges are worth looking at. I melted 4 pistons without ever reaching 1400 degrees. We need cylinder pressure sensors like the new vw's have.

BTW, sorry about the carnage david.

-jp

Sorry to see this happen again . Proceed with caution and try to find out why so it does not happen again. Good Luck Rich

This is certainly a high cylinder temperature failure. All the classic signs are there.

I have posted on every forum I visit on multiple occasions that water injection is the only "crutch" that can help prevent this kind of mess. The Common Rail efficiency at turning fuel into power is unbelievable. The cylinder temps generated are way too high for long term durability. The only thing one can do is a water system to try and drive down those numbers. Im not talking about a bastardized water system with meth or some other chemical. Pure water.

Nearly all Ceramic coatings will be flashed off a in matter of seconds at these cylinder temps.

On a competitive CR engine, the EGT probe is a waste of time. You might as well be reading the fuel gauge. It is no longer an indicator of latent heat like a 12 valve or to a lesser extent a VP44 engine would give. CR engines have very little latent heat from left over unburned fuel. Highly atomized fuel from small spraying holes and massive injection power through pressures 2.5 times higher than a 12V would generate turn that incombustable liquid into a cloud of vapor that burns as fast ( almost literally ) as it can be injected. They simply burn it fast and very efficiently. So larger amounts of heat are generated inside a smaller window of time.

Couple of things I see: Number 5 is baked. Number 1 is getting some aluminum erosion around the outside lip of the bowl. The truck runs low 11 second 1/4 times. Thats enough to tell us the heat is outside the poor stock CR pistons capabilities of remaing a solid. LOL

He speaka the truth brotha

Sorry to see this happen again . Proceed with caution and try to find out why so it does not happen again. Good Luck Rich

Thanks man! Yeah, Caution is an understatment!!

I hope I find something...

Thanks man! Yeah, Caution is an understatment!!

I hope I find something...

I've never messed with dual cp3's yet. My brothers truck is still on his stock cp3 & that is pretty much the only truck I really get my hands into. I'm not really understanding what fuel line broke off? If the engine stopped getting fuel when all of that heat was built up.....wouldn't that be like hitting the oxygen on a blow torch? Thats what I was getting at.

He speaka the truth brotha

I guess I'm gonna have to look into a "Quality" water system!!

When I can afford it, Who make the BEST kit for just water?? And what all is needed for this to be installed....I've got and Older CFM+ intake horn that doesn't have the ports...

I've never messed with dual cp3's yet. My brothers truck is still on his stock cp3 & that is pretty much the only truck I really get my hands into. I'm not really understanding what fuel line broke off? If the engine stopped getting fuel when all of that heat was built up.....wouldn't that be like hitting the oxygen on a blow torch? Thats what I was getting at.

I've wondered this too...without the fuel or decreasing fast, I wonder how it affected things.....hmmm

I'd ditch the CFM if I was you Swole.. Theres been many members blow them apart and mess up the hood. Especially with you running twins.
The cheapest metal intake horn that I found was called a "pusher". A member on here makes and sales them. It also has two 1/8 npt taps in it.

Just a thought, hate too see you have any more problems man.

Big Swole, if its Not to much to ask Please send the Rail, Sensor and PRV to Me, I see you have the Stock PRV in Post # 19..The Factory PRV has proved to be all or nothing..if it is stuck in the shut position it is NO different then a bolt. I will test the values of the Valve and sensors.The cavity area of the valve MUST be modifies for DUAL PUMPS, for the valve to work properly.NOW for all YOU NAY-SAYER'S Please DO NOT comment..This thread is NOT about "You don't need the valve" If all the carnage over the years is not enough for YOU .Their is nothing I can do for YOU, But please allow Me to HELP those that Do.

Big Swole, if its Not to much to ask Please send the Rail, Sensor and PRV to Me, I see you have the Stock PRV in Post # 19..The Factory PRV has proved to be all or nothing..if it is stuck in the shut position it is NO different then a bolt. I will test the values of the Valve and sensors.The cavity area of the valve MUST be modifies for DUAL PUMPS, for the valve to work properly.NOW for all YOU NAY-SAYER'S Please DO NOT comment..This thread is NOT about "You don't need the valve" If all the carnage over the years is not enough for YOU .Their is nothing I can do for YOU, But please allow Me to HELP those that Do.

Thank you Sir!!

I enjoyed the phone conversation ealier and will be awaiting you return call...
I'll get those pieces sent to you tmrw!!

Thanks again!!