Swole's Carnage AGAIN!!!!

I've got to side with Smokem. Why do so many focus on timing and/or not hitting the bowl?

It's clearly obvious, to much fuel!

Like global warming, it's the freaking sun! :doh:

Iv heard/seen this happen quite often but what exactly causes one to hang open? Does it just depend on how long it hangs as to how much damage actually occurs? My nozzles are fairly new but the injectors themselves are getting some wear on them, over 80k miles now, so its kinda worrying me... Iv about decided to never run a pressure box just to be safe, I mean is it really worth it, with my old setup which was a lot diff than what I'm running now, an mp-8 only made like 20 more hp, it may not matter to some but to my checkbook the added risk isn't worth 20hp

man that sucks, hope you have better luck on the next one but with your luck, maybe a 12v or p-pump it might be the way to go, and if you kill it like the first two, it'll be time to find a new hobby LOL. keep on keepen on

My thought exact Mega....

My MP8 probably won't go back on....I love the extra power and I think it adds more on mine (50-75hp) , but at 2500 miles per build....Thats some EXPENSIVE A$$ POWER!!!

man that sucks, hope you have better luck on the next one but with your luck, maybe a 12v or p-pump it might be the way to go, and if you kill it like the first two, it'll be time to find a new hobby LOL. keep on keepen on

NO Doubt!!!!!

I said this last time though.."Another failure and I'll be a permanant spectator"!!!

These Kind folks won't let me quit though!!! They keep stepping up to help!!

:bow:

My thought exact Mega....

My MP8 probably won't go back on....I love the extra power and I think it adds more on mine, but at on 2500 miles per build....Thats some EXPENSIVE A$$ POWER!!!

Yea it probaby will do a little more than that, the one I run didn't seem just right, I actually run a power puck the very next weekend on the same dyno and it did 15hp more than the mp-8...

Good luck to ya though, maybe when ya get her tore down it won't be as bad as it looks... I will say I went outside and set my smarty on the lowest timing level when I read this lol

How long was your engine running before the last melt down? I think the coating might have helped it along this time.

15 pages.... if there's one thing you do by blowing up your truck Dave, it's helping to educate the rest of us. Thanks for your R&D... you're paying for all the help you get whether you knew it or not. :)

Good luck to ya though, maybe when ya get her tore down it won't be as bad as it looks... I will say I went outside and set my smarty on the lowest timing level when I read this lol

LOL Heck yeah...Set that bad boy on LOW!! I think a LOT of folks are seeing this and thinking twice about there trucks and settings...lol

Hey! What Ever I can do to help !!! :hehe:

How long was your engine running before the last melt down? I think the coating might have helped it along this time.

Well I cranked it after loading the Smarty..
Drove a 1/4 to the lanes...
turned it off...
Cleared that p0236 code....
Cranked it....
Drove to the line...
Started my spool....
Got to 10 psi or so and it started that stuttering.....
I think I left at about 18-20 psi (not holding it there long).........
Cut her loose....
11.23 seconds later I let out of it.....
Backed of the MP8, took it out of 4wd, and Unlocked the convertor......
It shut off and coasted for a few seconds
Tried to recrank and it sounded sick.....

15 pages.... if there's one thing you do by blowing up your truck Dave, it's helping to educate the rest of us. Thanks for your R&D... you're paying for all the help you get whether you knew it or not. :)

I've Dang Sure got my 15 mins. with this freakin thing Huh!!!!! I'm not famous.....I'm Notorious!!! (for breaking chit) lol

Hey! What ever help you guys out!! I'm ALL for it!! :hehe:

This may help you guys decide on what caused this, or it may just be a waste of time. But anyway, I just pulled my head last night. I have been running smarty TNT-R, Dr Perf pressure box, Flux 4.5s and a big single. This truck has had horrible rattle since day one. The pistons are cut a little and a stock mls(the thicher one) gasket. Injectors have stock washers. I have made A LOT of hard runs in the truck at 4300RPMS. When I pulled the head, the spray pattern on the piston was perfect. But one thing I always do is be careful with fuel pressure and timing and spend a lot of time tuning. And I DO believe you need a egt gauge to do so correctly. EGTS on this truck have never been over 1400 degrees. Point being, I am not entirely sure the rattle is means the spray is off. This thing rattled as bad as any I've ever heard.

And our other truck(Mikeys Black Mega), has been ran to the extreme for over three years. The only thing aftermarket on the truck is injectors, Smarty, MP8, a sb66 and NX. This truck has been towing 20k lbs daily, raced on weekends with 6lbs of nx per pass for over three years. EGTS have been over 2000 degrees NUMEROUS times. We were kinda trying to find the limit of this engine. It still to this day has never had the head off of it. Runs perfect. But, we always was careful with timing and rail pressure.

So in my opinion, the failure of swoles engine lies in the pressure(obviously 100% on the mp8 plus smarty pressure is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too much) and the timing.

I may blow 5 trucks up tomorrow, but we havent had a single failure yet(knock on a huge monster piece of wood, lol) and I think it just comes down to careful tuning. And the only failures I have had come into the shop were from an injector hanging. I think other than Don Ms post(which I am 100% for water injection) the best post on this thread was from Beans Diesel.

LOL Heck yeah...Set that bad boy on LOW!! I think a LOT of folks are seeing this and thinking twice about there trucks and settings...lol

turned it off...
Cranked it....
Drove to the line...
Started my spool....
Cut her loose....

I've Dang Sure got my 15 mins. with this freakin thing Huh!!!!! I'm not famous.....I'm Notorious!!! (for breaking chit) lol

I was referring to the previous rebuild. Your truck seemed to last longer without the coating?

Also, something I am guilty of as MOST of the rest of you are is the fact that we will drop all this money on go fast parts and not give any attention to cylinder head flow or a data logger. I kick myself in the a** at least twice a day for not having both, but seem to never fork out the money for either. I don't care what anybody thinks of Greg Houge, he always tries to talk me into both of these options, as I'm sure he does everyone else he talks to, I just never listen. If I were only rich.:bang

turned it off...
Cranked it....
Drove to the line...
Started my spool....
Cut her loose....

Most things get easier the 2nd time but I would have to think this is an exception? Lol just messin with ya, I'm terrified of this happening once I couldn't imagine a 2nd time right after I got it back together, ill give it to ya though most people including myself would probably lay down and quit after this

I want to point out that there was fuel on the track before the finish line. Dave, it would be helpful to know if you let off before or after the line.

I was referring to the previous rebuild. Your truck seemed to last longer without the coating?

OH! Sorry!

Yeah it did...The old (2nd) build was more decompressed...No coating...Same injectors....Same MP8....It lived...

This build was Higher compression ( still over a point lower than stock ), Same injectors, Same MP8, Same PPE.....Then load the Smarty....

Something changed...We just don't know what!!!

For the record....I have run the Smarty on the old decompressed build too..No melting.......I just don't know what changed.....

This is why I spent the money and bought a data logger. The only gauge that will be in my truck will be a boost gauge just to use for launching

Isspro Performax gauges (the signal processor module) have a built in level-hold feature and optional software for data logging. You have both gauges and data logging capability. I think it's very useful to be able to analyze the parameters after a run to tune, and compare data to previous runs to monitor health, spot trends, etc. This is especially valuable when you can't monitor the gauges real-time.

I want to point out that there was fuel on the track before the finish line. Dave, it would be helpful to know if you let off before or after the line.

Absolutely After the line!!! (I'd never give up time like that!!! :hehe:)

The line popped off and that musta been what I felt!! Which brings up a good point....

Is the ANY way that draining the rail that fast had ANYthing to do with my Melt down????

OH! Sorry!

Yeah it did...The old (2nd) build was more decompressed...No coating...Same injectors....Same MP8....It lived...

This build was Higher compression ( still over a point lower than stock ), Same injectors, Same MP8, Same PPE.....Then load the Smarty....

Something changed...We just don't know what!!!

For the record....I have run the Smarty on the old decompressed build too..No melting.......I just don't know what changed.....

Higher compression, added pressure....you know what I'm thinking.:badidea:

hmmmm. Being that the engine was cut off from fuel cooling the pistons, that is something to consider.

Dave, can you describe the sound/stutter at the line in more detail? Did it sound like the engine does when you pull the connection off the FCA? (High RP)
Is it possible that the pressure maxed out during staging and the super-high pressure during the ensuing 1/4 mi run did the rest?

I have been reading threads about problems with high rail pressure, even at idle, where FCAs have been changed, pump controllers (duals) have been changed, lift pumps/pressure have been changed - still high RP. Finally a CP3 is changed and no more high pressure...