Swole's Carnage AGAIN!!!!

Greg, looking closer at some runs with no TST in the mix you are bang on. My pressure was 31-32k for 7 seconds and of course the famous spike.
I purchased a relief valve set to 29k so we will see how it does.

WOW!

124 degree injector, less if they are the same as mine from Don. On a bowl that wide? The pilot shot maybe. The scope shots I put up would show how many degrees before the main.

Clear evidence:

1. Injector pattern on top of piston crown.
2. 50*+ timing required for that to happen....
3. Ceramic coating is missing from all 6 pistons

Theory: Timing did not advance to 55*!
1. ECM has some residual voltage or fluke in the programming that commanded the injectors to stay open.

2. Injector hung open from the combination of extreme heat and high injection pressure.

The blown off high pressure line probably occurred after the run when you lifted and pressure spiked to 36K. Otherwise, your truck would have fallen on it's face the second the line blew off and rail pressure went to zero.

Greg's graph shows that the MP-8 at 100% commands pressure after you lift, with the motor turning big rpm at 120mph and nearly zero duration on the injectors, pressure spiked and blew the line.

Just remembered this fellas!!!

Didn't think much about it since I kept getting it a while back when I had power for my TS shift master pulled from the MP8 harness...

I did get a P0236 code ( map sensor too high for too long ) code a couple times that night....But the differnce was that it was still hauling A$$....When I was getting it before I fixed it with the voltage regulator and pulling power off the batter for the shift master, It would throw a CEL and cut power WAY down....
It wasn't doing that this time!!

Thoughts?? Related??

Clear evidence:

1. Injector pattern on top of piston crown.
2. 50*+ timing required for that to happen....
3. Ceramic coating is missing from all 6 pistons

Theory: Timing did not advance to 55*!
1. ECM has some residual voltage or fluke in the programming that commanded the injectors to stay open.

2. Injector hung open from the combination of extreme heat and high injection pressure.

I have heard from another source that a Dodge ECM will try to protect itself durring high RP spikes and to defuse it, it naturally increases durration to bleed off that pressure!!!

Any truth to this????

Honestly Swole, I'd run the 03-04 pistons and injectors.

We'll see tomarrow what mine look like after several back to back low 11 sec passes, 2k+ pyro temps, and 900+ hp. :Cheer:

Honestly Swole, I'd run the 03-04 pistons and injectors.

We'll see tomarrow what mine look like after several back to back low 11 sec passes, 2k+ pyro temps, and 900+ hp. :Cheer:

I beleive this is what I will do...Have Several Great folks offer 03/04 parts / pistons, engine, etc.....I guess I'd be stupid not to go this route..

Only problem is seeing if Don will swap out these tips for the other style or cut me a deal on a set...

All the other stuff I hope to be able to reuse...

Turbos will get shipped out to ED on Monday or Tues to be repaired and checked....Compliments of RonA .....A thousand times Thank you For that man!!!!

For the record...You guys are Awesome!!!
I just can't say Thank you enough to everyone!!

For anyone's that's ever listened to some of the raspy ass CR dodge engines running around, how can you immediately think there's just no way they're running enough timing to be spraying outside the bowl?

Some of them sound like they're running damn near enough timing to be catching back up with the previous firing cycle two revs ago...

Charlie,

That raspy exhaust note is not because of timing. You will normally only find it on a truck with a factory style 3rd gen manifold, a single, and a large (5") exhaust. You won't hear it on a truck with a 2nd gen manifold, twins and a 4" exhaust. The biggest contributor to the raspy sound is the 3rd gen manifold. It accentuates the #5 cylinder exhaust pulse because that runner is right at the turbo.

I beleive this is what I will do...Have Several Great folks offer 03/04 parts / pistons, engine, etc.....I guess I'd be stupid not to go this route..

Only problem is seeing if Don will swap out these tips for the other style or cut me a deal on a set...

All the other stuff I hope to be able to reuse...

Turbos will get shipped out to ED on Monday or Tues to be repaired and checked....Compliments of RonA .....A thousand times Thank you For that man!!!!

For the record...You guys are Awesome!!!
I just can't say Thank you enough to everyone!!

David, if your block is salvagable/sleevable, you can still use it with 03-04 pistons. You have 2 options:

Either swap the cooling jets. 03-04 use saddle plug jets instead of the "J" jets.

Or get QSB 480 Marine pistons as they have the 03-04 bowl but also cooling galley's like the 04.5+ pistons and will work with your existing jets.

David, if your block is salvagable/sleevable, you can still use it with 03-04 pistons. You have 2 options:

Either swap the cooling jets. 03-04 use saddle plug jets instead of the "J" jets.

Or get QSB 480 Marine pistons as they have the 03-04 bowl but also cooling galley's like the 04.5+ pistons and will work with your existing jets.

Well I might have access to an 03 HO motor that just missing the injectors and harness...( poss. a few other things too but I should have most stuff)...

If this works out, I'll go this route and use my balanced crank and VP rods...Assuming they are not bent..

Still sorting it out really.....

Thanks for the info on the QSB 480 pistons and jet info...

i am truley sorry for all your troubles ,however i am POSITIVE 3 injection crs can make big power and live.perhaps its all in the setup. i would be glad to help out in any way i can.Jeff G and i talked about my junkyard build at Piedmont Truck Jam last year,if you want help just ask...

i am truley sorry for all your troubles ,however i am POSITIVE 3 injection crs can make big power and live.perhaps its all in the setup. i would be glad to help out in any way i can.Jeff G and i talked about my junkyard build at Piedmont Truck Jam last year,if you want help just ask...

Thank you Sir!! Very much!!

Infact, If any of this strikes any cords with ya, Feel free to pm me and tell me what you think I should do here..

I'm ALL ears to any and everyone to Keep this from EVER happening again to me and the others!!

Thanks again...I'll be in touch!

After reading all this im glad i have a 03 but still worried. Its hard enough paying for my build this time, couldn't imagine doing it again.
Hope everything works out for ya Dave!

i am truly sorry to hear this but man i am scared now to even build up my 06 seems like its nothing but blowing up with these 04.5-07.5 motors

Some of them sound like they're running damn near enough timing to be catching back up with the previous firing cycle two revs ago...

Mine has sounded like that for a long, long time. I wish it didn't but, the cause has yet to be determined. Other here are well aware of my trucks rattle due to the thread started about it. I've got to the point I just turn the radio up a little louder. I've been through every sensor, pulled the head and check spray patten, changed programmers.... you name it. The rattle is still there. The conclusion is combustion knock and there's no why I've found to deal with it.

If an engine with variable timing is rattling like crazy you need to reassess IMO. Cause you're F'ing something up. The only reason a mech engine will do this down low is because they can't reduce timing down there and just have to deal with it and try and stay above it. For an electronic engine with fully adjustable timing/injection pressure it's totally asinine IMO to be doing that.

Swoles truck, my truck and many others have some form of rattle... others much worse than the rest. My truck has so far ( a few yrs ) has shown no signs of being F'ed up. It sounds like the motor is full of meatl marbles until boost or rpm's are built. Unfortunately, we don't have fully adjustable timing/injection psi otherwise, this type of thinig may not happen as often.