Swole's Carnage AGAIN!!!!

We will all only help if you promise to use an EGT gauge this time!

I would agree. It may not be totally accurate but, it sure gives a good indication of temps and gives you an idea of when to back off. The water temp gauge is another good indicator

We'll see about the egt gauge......lol

Maybe I'll just build back up and then Not drive it!!!! That'll keep the EGT's down for sure!!! LOL

:Cheer:

If money were not the object, what would
be the best setup. 03,04 pistons or the
marine 480s.

We'll see about the egt gauge......lol

Maybe I'll just build back up and then Not drive it!!!! That'll keep the EGT's down for sure!!! LOL

:Cheer:

Yes Swole, I agree with Ty and everyone else. I think it's finally time for an EGT gauge in your truck*bdh*

DAVID DAMN!!!!!!! ----I saw this thread and thought it was your last one brought back from the dead. Man do I wish that was the case. Sorry to hear about the issues.

your pistons dont look that bad:poke:
02080095132500.jpg

I dont think your rods are damaged- the piston top was just super heated

question- turbo pic damage..... intake wheel or exhaust wheel?

Why not? An EGT gauge is just another way to monitor whats going on. I don't think one single anything tells the whole picture...but having a grasp on as many helpfull parameters as possible helps.

All I know...my engine would have been toast 180k ago without one.

Rail psi that's too high will cause fuel to spray outside of the bowl. Psi over comes the design limits of the pintle in the nozzel being able to hold pressure back, major lack of fuel control results. I believe john @ floor it diesel tested a rail pressure box to over 40kpsi few years back IIRC.
This will cause Very high combustion temps, Valve seat problems, and Melted pistons.

DAVID DAMN!!!!!!! ----I saw this thread and thought it was your last one brought back from the dead. Man do I wish that was the case. Sorry to hear about the issues.

your pistons dont look that bad:poke:

I dont think your rods are damaged- the piston top was just super heated

question- turbo pic damage..... intake wheel or exhaust wheel?

Yeah, I wasn't sure what to name this thread to make it stand out! CompD is starting to just get used to seeing this kinda stuff from me!!:hehe:

Now that piston DOES look bad!!! Looks like an 03/04 design too.....I guess they have their issues too, if pushed hard enough...

Top turbo turbine wheel is jacked up, but my 480 got Lucky!!!

Not timing

I believe most failures like this are caused by a hung injector, which is not uncommon in any application. The problem is, in a CR application when the nozzle hangs open, you have maximum quantity injected at all times vs the fuel delivery in pulsations in the mechanical systems.

I've got to side with Smokem. Why do so many focus on timing and/or not hitting the bowl?

It's clearly obvious, to much fuel!

Like global warming, it's the freaking sun! :doh:

Why not? An EGT gauge is just another way to monitor whats going on. I don't think one single anything tells the whole picture...but having a grasp on as many helpfull parameters as possible helps.

All I know...my engine would have been toast 180k ago without one.

Its awful tough to watch gauges going from 0 to 120 mph in 11.3 seconds in a quarter of a mile

Its awful tough to watch gauges going from 0 to 120 mph in 11.3 seconds in a quarter of a mile

This is why I spent the money and bought a data logger. The only gauge that will be in my truck will be a boost gauge just to use for launching

Yeah, but most of you guys have auto's.. BFD :) Try to watch gauges with a manual. We have to grab gears at the right rpm, so it's tach, road,tach,road,tach,road. until the 1/8 when we find 6th.

can't wait until Isspro gets their shift light's out! :)

Taking 0.030" off of the sleeve nut would only tighten the contact point up 1.5°, timing is still not the issue. A large quantity of fuel not being contained in the bowl at low RPM and low boost pressure during ignition would sound like, a timing rattle.

Yeah, but most of you guys have auto's.. BFD :) Try to watch gauges with a manual. We have to grab gears at the right rpm, so it's tach, road,tach,road,tach,road. until the 1/8 when we find 6th.

can't wait until Isspro gets their shift light's out! :)
I have a manual but wont try to drag with it on a bet lol.

That is true....... why were they so clean? :)

The coating being nuked off and 60+ lbs of boost? lol

Taking 0.030" off of the sleeve nut would only tighten the contact point up 1.5°, timing is still not the issue. A large quantity of fuel not being contained in the bowl at low RPM and low boost pressure during ignition would sound like, a timing rattle.

Your thoughts on going to 03/04 style pistons and tips???

Assuming everything else is in good working order....