The compounds are coming.... The co...

I actually creased the big pipe a little with a hammer and block of wood while dad held it, it clears and you can't notice it. My downpipe fit but it had to be creased and hammered in on the elbow, and the clamp was a pain in the arse as well.

Well the intake pipe is not touching the oil filter but it's about an 1/8 of an inch or less away.

I towed my boat back from the shop today and it tows so much better than the 64. I was hoping to make more more boost at 55-60mph but towing is vastly improved all across the board. Another thing I want to note is that it drives much cleaner and the truck is extremely more enjoyable to drive. I should have done twins the first time around.

The next step is HD pushrods and springs. Not sure if I'm going with the Crower springs or Hamiltons 103 springs.

Did you, or have you adjusted the spring on your gate yet ?
Just curious, as I just installed one on my set up.
I'm getting 55-57 lbs. boost, with the primary making about 25-26 lbs.
No dp guage, & not going past 1100 egt's.
I put the spacer plate on at the same time & port to gasket matched both turbo & manifold, plus enlarged the ports for the gate.

Jerhi, I haven't adusted it yet, but it seems to be set a good spot for DD and towing my boat. Driving around town and hitting the interstate my boost to drive pressure is almost exactly 1:1 up to around 20 pounds. I don't seem much more boost than that under normal driving conditions. If I were to play around I would probably loosen it up some so the 472 can pick up some of the work.

I'm still a little leary of really punching it until I get some studs and springs. The 01 engine I bought to replace the origianl 99 (53 Block) is Oringed and the stock bolts have be toqued to 90 ftlbs then turned 90 degrees so I am some what safe for now.

Jehri, I would try to get a DP gauge pretty soon to see what's really going on.

Super, I had to wait for a new pyro probe, that's why my EGT'S were not going over 1100, now that I have it, I have checked it all out again.
EGT'S were through the roof, so I started to turn it in, ended up with 7 turns in & EGT'S are about 1350 @WOT.
Also boost is up on the primary to 30 lbs. with my total around 60 lbs.
Very happy with the way it performs, but would still like to install a DP gauge at some point in the future.
The bucking I had is gone, thinking the waste gate was just being pushed open by the DP.
Thanks ! :Cheer:

Super, I had to wait for a new pyro probe, that's why my EGT'S were not going over 1100, now that I have it, I have checked it all out again.
EGT'S were through the roof, so I started to turn it in, ended up with 7 turns in & EGT'S are about 1350 @WOT.
Also boost is up on the primary to 30 lbs. with my total around 60 lbs.
Very happy with the way it performs, but would still like to install a DP gauge at some point in the future.
The bucking I had is gone, thinking the waste gate was just being pushed open by the DP.
Thanks ! :Cheer:

Nice! When did the bucking occur? When the TC locked up?

I turned my wastegate IN another full turn, so I'm 7 turns in aswell; however, that's 7 seven turns in from the spring being somewhat seated. It's tough to gauge that way and I could be a turn more or less than from how you have yours set. I think I'm going to screw it all the way in and back it out back to where I have it set now. I think this will give me and others a better way to compare how many turns we are at. Does that make sense?

My bucking was after lockup /70 mph cruising. Felt like an Austin Mini running into my back bumper!
I like your idea about turning in all the way & then back it out to it's present position, very good reference point.
I am going to install a new air filter & then I will bottom it out & back up to my present setting.
I will let you know where I'm at after the said procedure.
Good idea by the way.
:Cheer:

10 turns out from bottom is to where mine was set @7 turns in where I started. (when spring just made contact)
By the way, I installed my new AFE 24-91009, took it for a fun ride & when I got home I checked the filter minder to find out that it was sucked down to the bottom. Damn stupid oiled filters, going to see if I can find a non oiled BHAF.

10 turns out from bottom is to where mine was set @7 turns in where I started. (when spring just made contact)
By the way, I installed my new AFE 24-91009, took it for a fun ride & when I got home I checked the filter minder to find out that it was sucked down to the bottom. Damn stupid oiled filters, going to see if I can find a non oiled BHAF.

That 4" inlet is what's holding your filter back

Wow. I just checked mine and I'm 2 full turns from seated..... I think I may have an issue???

That 4" inlet is what's holding your filter back

I agree with you. As soon as I can find the parts (here), it will be 5".
I tried another AFE filter 4"f x 8"b x 8"t (3 1/2" inv. t) x 11 h, same thing.

Super, that is a little strange. I used the long spring & double checked it to be sure. I am still at 7 in & 10 from bottom back out.
Let us know on what you find.

Long spring? Mine only came with the one that was in it. I'll try to remember to take the spring out and measure the length tonight.

Super, The short spring is 2 3/8" long if that will help.

Chrisd91, I was able to source all the parts here. New AFE 24-91039 will be here Monday & it is supposed to snow this weekend, go figure.

Just pulled the spring out and measured it. It appears I have the short spring that's 2 3/8" long.

Do I need the long one? Also I need to do a boost leak check on these twins to make sure in all sealed up.

I am no expert, but I would suggest the long spring. Seems the long spring is more adjustable. I haven't taken mine apart to measure it, truck is running to good to muck with it. Johnny would be the man to contact.

On a side note, I got my 5" intake built & on, with new filter. I must say it is quite a bit different in spooling & EGT'S, again, very happy!

& yes, boost leaks can be fun to find. When you get it figured out, you will know it.

Yeah, I'll have to give them a call I guess. I bet they thought they would never hear from me again regarding this twin piping kit...

Back