Truckers, lets see your rigs!

When I worked as a mechanic for a construction outfit, I did an inframe on my heavy haul truck and I kept all the receipts for the parts I bought and I wrote up a work order and all that stuff, so there's no reason to not have any paperwork on a rebuild, even if you do it yourself

You were doing a job for someone else so that would be expected.

You said work order, not receipts. I can provide receipts for the last three engines I have I framed for myself but why would I write a work order up for myself.

You guys complain about shade tree mechanics yet they are the one that still now how to check a block for fretting and the ones that did that engine obviously don't understand what causes it or that engine wouldn't be over 550hp.

Enlighten me. We're talking about an N14? Which surfaces are you referring to about the fretting? Block/deck, mains?

I would like to know what you are mentioning.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

The N14. The main caps like to walk around, and it seems to be more prevalent with the higher rated engines. Most of the 855 series engines that you hear of spinning main bearings can be contributed to this.

The N14. The main caps like to walk around, and it seems to be more prevalent with the higher rated engines. Most of the 855 series engines that you hear of spinning main bearings can be contributed to this.

I remember this when I was in tech school, but that's been 7 years and not another 855/n14 since.

I understand where you're coming from on the perception of shade tree vs dealer work. It does the go the other way. I'm young and at a dealer so I don't know anything. :D

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

Right, if you have to force a main cap off any 855 then the mains are most likely fine. It is the ones that fall right out that are bad. Remedy to the problem, is new main caps, line bored, then using Loctite sealer on the tops and bottoms of the cap to seal the cap bolt holes and prevent lubricating oil from getting between the holding surface. If it is too excessive, then the block has to be replaced.

I've seen plenty of 525 rated N-14s that had over a million miles before they were torn down. I think the problem is mostly with the in frame jobs where the mechanic either doesn't know what to look for, or is too lazy to risk having to pull the block for the line bore. There are procedures to check the main cap to warrant replacement.

Right, if you have to force a main cap off any 855 then the mains are most likely fine. It is the ones that fall right out that are bad. Remedy to the problem, is new main caps, line bored, then using Loctite sealer on the tops and bottoms of the cap to seal the cap bolt holes and prevent lubricating oil from getting between the holding surface. If it is too excessive, then the block has to be replaced.

I've seen plenty of 525 rated N-14s that had over a million miles before they were torn down. I think the problem is mostly with the in frame jobs where the mechanic either doesn't know what to look for, or is too lazy to risk having to pull the block for the line bore. There are procedures to check the main cap to warrant replacement.
It's a piss poor design and they do it on motors that never had the pans dropped. If I have to rely on Locktite 620 to keep the mains from walking at a measly 525hp..........:doh: Given a choice I'll take blown head gaskets over walking mains any day.

You guys are right about parts Changers, Most don't want to know a lot about how or why. On the other hand I work with some very smart individuals

Here's one of my relatives trucks he's had it about 26 years. 85 359 300 inch wheel base 3406B. It's got the loudest train horns I've ever heard lol.
04EA9707-227A-4FF7-BF53-9143DE508828-3434-000002B2374DB783_zps3d70ba6c.jpg

It's a piss poor design and they do it on motors that never had the pans dropped. If I have to rely on Locktite 620 to keep the mains from walking at a measly 525hp..........:doh: Given a choice I'll take blown head gaskets over walking mains any day.

I think the TSB came out long before production ended so I am sure that the engines that were being built at that time had that practice used on them.

vy9yny4y.jpg

I posted this on Instagram last night and I figured I'd share it here. Anyone know who's beautiful rig this is?

Has anybody ever seen a 3406 in a butterfly hood kw? I have a project opportunity, its got a cummins in it now and looking at it Id say an 855 would fit.

Ill have to look it is a cummins, its looks like the same phisical size as an 855 from a later truck.

Ill have to look it is a cummins, its looks like the same phisical size as an 855 from a later truck.

Prolly a NH or NT series, a big cam would fit right in the same place, a 3406 might be a little tighter and then fabbing up mounts to make it work would have to happen too.

Problem with those trucks is that they dont have the radiator capacity to cool much over what they were built with power wise.