Truckers, lets see your rigs!

Seriously....you know now!!! Anything that will destroy cedar tree rapidly is welcome.....

9y9yny7e.jpg

Last edited:
Alright guys... I know it's been covered but search sucks.
What's the low down on switching our cmodel to full mechanical?

A complete pump including governor assembly, matching timing advance and cover. That should cover the engine part. Then have to fabricate the linkage. Not sure how petes are but KWs still use a mechanical pedal with an external TPS, it makes switching one of them a breeze.

Make sure to pin the pump you are putting on before taking it off a diner engine of however you get it, then field time the engine with the flywheel pinned and you should be okay.

i got one to. what is hte diff betwen the models???
A
B
C and
E
yes i know the highter hte letter newer i think. can you set me straight?

What is commonly called the A model is the first 3406, these came into production around 1976 and stayed until around 1984 they don't actually have a letter in their identification, they just became refered to as A models when the. B came out in 84.

The B has a narrow bearing crank and what they call a single scroll injection pump, which has to do with the design of the barrels and plungers. Sometime during the building of the 3zj serial prefix cat decided they would change the crank and the injection pump, the crank is now the same as what is used in the E models when this happens and the injection pump is switched to a dual scroll style pump allowing for higher injection pressure. They offered the C model up until around 1997 depending on the truck manufacturer.

There are 4 different PEEC serial number prefixes 8TC, 5YG, 2EK, and 4CK. The first is the only B version as far as I know, the 8TC and 4CK are the most common to run across.

The A model prefix is 92U, there are two true. B model prefixes and they are 7FB and 4MG, the earliest of the 3ZJ engines are considered B models but a crank check is still reccomended before buying bearings. The later C models were 5KJ and the last was 8PN.

The E model is an over head cam engine with no injection pump it is fully electronic, it has unit injectors that are driven off the cam and controlled electronically. Nothing but the crank and rods carried over from the C models that came before it

Not without know what pump was being used to convert. When I did ours we used a pump that was off of a 7FB with a 24* pump cam. At pin time it was already advanced for the engine it was going on.

Not without know what pump was being used to convert. When I did ours we used a pump that was off of a 7FB with a 24* pump cam. At pin time it was already advanced for the engine it was going on.

Got ya. I've never gotten to convert one. Just replace what was there. (Lowly parts changer...)

Did you check base pump timing or did you find the info somewhere?

From My Not-So-Smart Phone

Ever seen Siamesed valves?

Glider company installed my last engine. Ran half an hour and hell broke loose.

Pulled the intake horn.. glittered like Disney land. Also found an intruder.

Grade 5 bolt. Their tech pulled it out of the back of the air compressor to install a clamp to hold the power steering hose. He lost track of it and put a new bolt in its place.

From My Not-So-Smart Phone

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1385305937833.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1385305937833.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 0
  • uploadfromtaptalk1385306338430.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1385306338430.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 0
  • uploadfromtaptalk1385306360107.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1385306360107.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 0
Damn that's nasty.

On the pump timing the timing degrees is scribed into the advance end of the cam, this is where the timing should be when it is pin to pin timed.

There will be another 70 mile section coming up soon, if I head up that way I'll let you know! On a side note, they were telling me about a huge cottonwood tree they cut that was 7-1/2' across!

I don't know about diameter, but we do have one on the creek that is 24 feet circumference. I guess that would be 7.63 diameter. About the same. I looked up the record for ok...not even close. LOL

Ehh... It's gettin cold here.
ysa3a9u2.jpg

If anyone would like to adopt me... I'll take one of these as a Christmas present. 22 years old and I want one of these freakin things more than I have ever wanted anything else. I think my aching to buy a house even comes second.
qese4aqa.jpg

ageveja3.jpg

I think I said I would put a pic or two up of our truck box float but never did. So here's a couple. It's a heavy drive 6x6. Pulls a 200tom float permanently.

Sorry for the dark pics. Hope you can see them on a computer.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385998320.168365.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385998339.638903.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

If anyone would like to adopt me... I'll take one of these as a Christmas present. 22 years old and I want one of these freakin things more than I have ever wanted anything else. I think my aching to buy a house even comes second.

That Black 359 is on Minneapolis Craigslist, looks like a very sharp truck.

Turn/block off egr asap and when funds allow totally delete it. Do rod bearings if funds allow, they can sometimes spin them about 800k. Also when the vgt turbo pops put a fixed geometry on and tune it. End up with a cool running, reliable 650hp at the wheels. As far as wheelbase? Meh, I've put bigger in tighter. Oh yea prepare for a rebuild by a million or so.

awesome...well honestly its basically only going to get ran 5-6000 miles a year hauling grain..unless I start doing regional runs..which is a very good possibility. however anybody other than PDI good to work with on truck parts and tunes?? It'l be quite some time before id ever have to rebuild it haha..but none the less thanks for the input on that! good knowledge to know for the future. and im not saying it can't be done but its EASIER with a shorter truck was the idea.