Truckers, lets see your rigs!

Notice the inset fog lights, the long steps under the door, and the deflectors over the hinges at the bottom of the radiator. All signs that big power lurks under the cab.

I'll keep an eye open. They sit all over these farms around here

Reaper of Threads

Old picture taken not too long after we got her.

9375DCC7-3B5F-45EA-AE33-2E2ED41EC219_zpsd2onp2xv.jpg

I would like to get a picture with the way my cabover looks now, but I don't think the guy will let me just hook to a trailer for a photo.

Anyone have any experience with using the tank style inline coolant heaters.

What do you want to know? Weve got I think three on tractors. They work fine, ours dont seem to last as long as the style that threads in the block. Er the ones from napa dont.

I put them in all my diesels. Circulating tank heaters. 1500w for my pickups. 750w for the cars. They circulate by convection, not pump. But they work great. Actually keep frost off the windshield if you leave the heater controls set to defrost, and the coolant can move through the heater core.

Temro / Kim hot start is the brand I use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
I was looking at the hotstart and Kat's heaters. I know with a immersion style heater that 1500w seems to be plenty, would a 1500W work okay on a big truck engine.

I was looking at the hotstart and Kat's heaters. I know with a immersion style heater that 1500w seems to be plenty, would a 1500W work okay on a big truck engine.

Who wants to work when its cold out anyway? Lol

No not big enough. 1500 is too small for a highway truck. They make bigger though. Just have to hit Googletron to find their parts list. I'm sure they have a website.

I see some 2000W heaters but the amperage draw scares me on 120V plug in; and anything larger is 240V plus. I don't plan on trying to start this thing when it's -10 out, but in the 20-30 degree range isn't out of the question.

1500w is plenty big enough for for a 15L or smaller engine. I used to put them on standby gensets all day long.

Insulated? Inside? Ya for sure. Not on a highway truck in Alberta it's not.

Trucks here get Espars. Proheats. Or Webastos.

1500 should be big enough, especially if you plug it in the night before. You want a pretty heavy and short extension cord with the bigger heaters because the amp draw can be quite a bit.

1500 should be big enough, especially if you plug it in the night before. You want a pretty heavy and short extension cord with the bigger heaters because the amp draw can be quite a bit.

Yeah, I was looking at the draw, a 2000W 120V heater draws 25A. I might even go so far as to buy a stick on heater for the oil pan to help out.

Insulated? Inside? Ya for sure. Not on a highway truck in Alberta it's not.

Trucks here get Espars. Proheats. Or Webastos.

I realize we're talking about 2 different situations here. There's a big difference between -50*F you see and the more likely average of 15*F Ohio will see. Hell if I lived in Alberta my truck would never shut off.