Truckers, lets see your rigs!

The only euro engine I'd EVER consider for a powerplant would be a Scania, the rest of them can be tossed off a pier as far as I'm concerned

I keep LOL'ing about cats being junk engines

Me too, almost all the sport fishing yachts I've seen or been around run them, and never have issues LOL

You guys need to understand who your dealing with. He's a pretty smart guy but if it's not made in Europe it's junk in his opinion. Nevermind the fact the 3 European engines we've had forced down our throats in the last 10 years have been total boat anchors. MBE4000, Volvo D13/D16, and the latest POS is the DAF/Paccar MX-13. He claims Cat has a long list of mechanical issues such as pistons, when in reality the only real issue they have is head gaskets. Like I said he's a pretty knowledgeable guy you just have to take some of his comments with a grain of salt.

I'm not stressing too much over it, it just makes me laugh.

Volvo engines and MBE engines on "our side" of the pond couldn't pull dried dog schit off the sidewalk. They're not worth the paper their repair orders are printed on, and a Volvo ad isn't even good enough for me to use for toilet paper. Does that describe my hate for them strongly enough?

If I wanted my KW to pull like a Volvo or a Mercedes I'd take the cat out and replace it with a Briggs&Stratton, and even that would still out pull them.

You guys need to understand who your dealing with. He's a pretty smart guy but if it's not made in Europe it's junk in his opinion. Nevermind the fact the 3 European engines we've had forced down our throats in the last 10 years have been total boat anchors. MBE4000, Volvo D13/D16, and the latest POS is the DAF/Paccar MX-13. He claims Cat has a long list of mechanical issues such as pistons, when in reality the only real issue they have is head gaskets. Like I said he's a pretty knowledgeable guy you just have to take some of his comments with a grain of salt.

I understand, but to hear that MTU's are junk when several oil field guys are saying they aren't, and that boat had no issues at all. Then saying Cats are junk, just throws me off

We still playing this game?

993647_10151654554144145_876406279_n.jpg

Figured this would be a good place to start for a first post.

Last edited:
05 Star

C15 (Very very tired)

18 speed

Blah blah blah

Gross 54,700 kg

I follow a truck mounted watson drill rig and set conductors (commonly known as "rat holing" in the industry) for oil rigs in Alberta Canada

As you can see I carry all the supplies. Pipe, cement, augers, water (5 cubes, another 2 on truck but i can't run legal with that full), every thing we need to do our job.

Last edited:
I don't know why people make such a big deal about things like brand. Everything breaks. Everything.

Doing firering updates on a 12v4000 MTU on a Halliburton fracker.
4000headjob1.jpg

Overhauling one of the same.
IMG00717-20100115-0932.jpg

Torquing mains. That was always my favorite part of the 4000 MTUs. Stud stretch nut torque.

IMG00800-20100218-0700.jpg

I keep LOL'ing about cats being junk engines
I have always wondered how big difference that sea between continents makes. In Europe most people think Cats are junk because their unreliability and high fuel consumption, no matter truck, industrial or marine engine.

MBE is Brazilian engine but it's better than european Mercedes V6 and V8 engines, only problems US Volvos have seems to be EGR valve and injector sleeves. Injector sleeves were a problem in Europe too before updating. DAF MX has been quite reliable, some have high fuel consumtion but nothing else. And they have no power until you "chip" them. Caterpillars in Europe : flexing blocks (C18), broken cranks, dropping cylinder liners, exploding turbos, cracking heads, bad injectors. Only few of C18s got past 400 k without major overhaul. Many C15 Acerts were replaced with Volvo engines because they were standing at the garage for weeks.

I don't know about new Cummins engines because we don't have them but Detroits seems to be good except they don't have power, Caterpillar is out of business for reason, no one wants them.

Torquing mains. That was always my favorite part of the 4000 MTUs. Stud stretch nut torque.

IMG00800-20100218-0700.jpg
That's how every stud should be torqued when possible. Torque wrenches are very inconsistent, angle torquing is second best after stretch.

I guess I have a unicorn for a cat engine, 2004 MBN with 985,000 miles and it hasn't been touched. What a pile of junk it is!

I guess I have a unicorn for a cat engine, 2004 MBN with 985,000 miles and it hasn't been touched. What a pile of junk it is!
I sold one with 800k that was never touched, even had original water pump.

...........I don't know about new Cummins engines because we don't have them but Detroits seems to be good except they don't have power, Caterpillar is out of business for reason, no one wants them.
The new Cummins have an issue with the high pressure fuel pump coming apart and plugging the oil passages. On the bright side the rod bearings are easy to replace when the rod is hanging out the side of the block. The new Detroits are scary because the cam shaft is just a piece of pipe with pressed on lobes, Also are rear geartrain like the junk Paccar motors.......great for a cabover but this is America and we gave those up a long time ago (except for Cody). As far as Caterpillar being "out of business"....sales and revenue for 2013 was $55.656 billion. You realize that's higher than the GDP of some of your European countries right? Cummins was $17.3 Billion for comparison. Caterpillar does A LOT of stupid crap I agree but saying they're out of business is laughable.

The new Cummins have an issue with the high pressure fuel pump coming apart and plugging the oil passages. On the bright side the rod bearings are easy to replace when the rod is hanging out the side of the block. The new Detroits are scary because the cam shaft is just a piece of pipe with pressed on lobes, Also are rear geartrain like the junk Paccar motors.......great for a cabover but this is America and we gave those up a long time ago (except for Cody). As far as Caterpillar being "out of business"....sales and revenue for 2013 was $55.656 billion. You realize that's higher than the GDP of some of your European countries right? Cummins was $17.3 Billion for comparison. Caterpillar does A LOT of stupid crap I agree but saying they're out of business is laughable.
Out of trucking business. Those who buy their equipment have no choice, except to buy Volvo CE...

Rear gear train is todays technology, better for crankshaft longevity and other vibrations and engine driven PTO. Every manufacturer will be using it.

Rear gear train has nothing to do with crankshaft longevity. And no not every manufacture will use it. It's 100% about noise emissions. The concept gear takes care of that just fine. And to be honest I think can overs will come back. The trucks are already getting that way.