Truckers, lets see your rigs!

Just took the N14 ECU off our toterhome in to my friend and he bench harnessed it. Went from 370/1450 to the max allowable CPL setting of 460/1650... Anyone know what the next step for more power is on a N14? Cam and Injectors, just injectors??

Thanks for any input or help.

Dont know about NA but in Europe Celect+ was only software change from 425 to 530, Celect was same from 415 to 510. We didnt have any low hp fleet versions, M11 was meant for those hp ranges.

N-14's are about like a series 60 in my mind, runs forever, decent power, and good mileage.....my boss just bought a 379 with an N-14 5¼ and a 475 6NZ with a heavier wagon will walk away from it without breaking a sweat.

This was a Ryder Freightliner Century truck, built into a toterhome... It does get damn good mileage though. 8-10mpg depending what we are pulling and speed we are going.

I wish it had a 12.7, then I'd have it 550hp with tune only and I'd have my billet s475 on it...

It is a 2001, I think just celect, I'm not that familiar with Cummins...

N-14's are about like a series 60 in my mind, runs forever, decent power, and good mileage.....my boss just bought a 379 with an N-14 5¼ and a 475 6NZ with a heavier wagon will walk away from it without breaking a sweat.

When you say walk away from it, I assume you're talking about pulling a grade? What are the differences in the rears and trans? I guess what I'm saying is are we comparing apples to apples? You take a truck with high HP numbers and tall gears vs. a lower HP truck with shorter gears it'll out pull it on a grade. Hell, you can even take two identically spec'd trucks loaded the same and I'd about bet my paycheck one will out pull the other. Blows my mind how that works out but I'm sure y'all have driven enough different trucks to know what I'm talkin about.

Both trucks have tall 24 tires, and 13 speeds, the pete has 3.73 rears and KW has 3.55's. They're pretty close as far as specs, that cat engine just flat out pulls better, even having a taller rear axle ratio.

Last edited:
When you say walk away from it, I assume you're talking about pulling a grade? What are the differences in the rears and trans? I guess what I'm saying is are we comparing apples to apples? You take a truck with high HP numbers and tall gears vs. a lower HP truck with shorter gears it'll out pull it on a grade. Hell, you can even take two identically spec'd trucks loaded the same and I'd about bet my paycheck one will out pull the other. Blows my mind how that works out but I'm sure y'all have driven enough different trucks to know what I'm talkin about.

Both trucks have tall 24 tires, and 13 speeds, the pete has 3.73 rears and KW has 3.55's. They're pretty close as far as specs, that cat engine just flat out pulls better, even having a taller rear axle ratio.

Torque...

Yep...
6053fbf7220c0fdcc02d8ea0a8a48119.jpg

Last edited:
Ok experts, how big of a mess did I bite off? At the job I work at home their heavy haul transport with a 5¼ N-14 just blew up, I talked them into swapping it out for a cat, the boss just called me and said he picked up a 2WS 475/550 engine and harness, is this gonna be a plug and play kinda thing or am I in deep??

The e model's I owned were always in the 6-6.5 mpg average doing flat bed work. The sweet spot on the ones I had was around 1300 RPM. The trucker garmon is junk, 2 guy's I know have them both went back to their old GPS.

I'm lucky to be getting over 4.7-4.8 this time of year with this 550 6nz I'm driving. I think something is wrong with it but I can't convince the boss to get it looked at. And it hates life at 1300rpm, it will build 30lbs of boost but won't pull worth a damn. Tops out at 45lbs by 1650rpm. Drops to 1200 on any little hill and then surges like a rodeo bull, so you gotta downshift. Actually gets it's best mileage at 72mph and 1550rpm in OD.

I'm lucky to be getting over 4.7-4.8 this time of year with this 550 6nz I'm driving. I think something is wrong with it but I can't convince the boss to get it looked at. And it hates life at 1300rpm, it will build 30lbs of boost but won't pull worth a damn. Tops out at 45lbs by 1650rpm. Drops to 1200 on any little hill and then surges like a rodeo bull, so you gotta downshift. Actually gets it's best mileage at 72mph and 1550rpm in OD.

The red truck I just came out of would do 5.3ish if babied with a big bully dog tune. Anything over 1500 and fuel mileage goes to hell. Will pull like a mother all the way down to 1100 but I never ran it that low. 1200 to 1250 up to 1500 and its happy. And baby the phuck out of it taking off everywhere.

I was getting 4.8-5.1 with a 625 Acert pulling trains, how are you fackin lightweights only doing low to mid 5's?

I was getting 4.8-5.1 with a 625 Acert pulling trains, how are you fackin lightweights only doing low to mid 5's?

My excuse is im a rookie and probably don't know what I'm doing lol

I had the same problems with my e model once, it ended up being a waste gate problem. One zip tie will fix it right up.