Truckers, lets see your rigs!

Question for high horse on the road trucks. What plate pressure are people running with easy peddles? ( Whats the most plate pressure that can be had with angle spring clutch?) Have a lipe clutch in the truck we pull and i really do not want to push that all day long if i can help it.

Question for high horse on the road trucks. What plate pressure are people running with easy peddles? ( Whats the most plate pressure that can be had with angle spring clutch?) Have a lipe clutch in the truck we pull and i really do not want to push that all day long if i can help it.

2050 Eaton is the most common. We put SouthBend's new EasyPedal clone in a 800hp glider and it was only slightly harder to push than the 2050 Eaton, supposed to be good for 1100hp. Held fine but then again friend has a 2050 Eaton behind a 1000hp to the tires C15 and it holds perfect. I wouldn't use a Lipe as a boat anchor. No matter what Bruce Mallison says there is a reason Lipe went out of business and it's because they make horrible clutches. You can tell the trucks with them, they bounce like a beach ball taking off.

Agreed. Rumor has it that those service trucks and the new cat trucks will be powered by the same manufacturer

Sent from my flashscan v2
Not sure how I missed this. Now that CAT has divorced navistar, the mutant red engined cat is no more.

The new truck plant is piggy backing an excavator plant in Texas from what I recall.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

2050 Eaton is the most common. We put SouthBend's new EasyPedal clone in a 800hp glider and it was only slightly harder to push than the 2050 Eaton, supposed to be good for 1100hp. Held fine but then again friend has a 2050 Eaton behind a 1000hp to the tires C15 and it holds perfect. I wouldn't use a Lipe as a boat anchor. No matter what Bruce Mallison says there is a reason Lipe went out of business and it's because they make horrible clutches. You can tell the trucks with them, they bounce like a beach ball taking off.

What he said all the way, and sort of depends on what you consider high HP road trucks, if you are talking 800+ then the south bend is the way to go, that is what is going in my puller when it comes apart.

My new tractor unit..

Attachments

• mms_20150902_135329.jpg
    mms_20150902_135329.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 0
On the clutches, you couldn't give me a Lipe clutch. I watch two guys last summer weld Lipe clutches together every week at less than 1,000 hp to the tires.

My dad pulls a 3406 Cat with a bit of power with an Easy Pedal that we have no history about. Been pulling it for about 8 years now and it has never slipped or had to been adjusted once. He also hauls heavy equipment, usually grossing over 80,000 lbs at 500 hp to the tires with a 2,050 Easy Pedal. Rebuilt the trans a few years back now, and the clutch looked great, but he installed a new one for piece of mind.

Then maybe we just had bad luck with the angle spring clutch we bought to pull, Ft. Wayne clutch built it and was supposed to be 2300 or 2400. Junked it in 3 hooks. Honestly we have no issues with the lipe clutch but we do not slip it off the line and it only gets used for pulling, I would not want to drive it all day.

Then maybe we just had bad luck with the angle spring clutch we bought to pull, Ft. Wayne clutch built it and was supposed to be 2300 or 2400. Junked it in 3 hooks. Honestly we have no issues with the lipe clutch but we do not slip it off the line and it only gets used for pulling, I would not want to drive it all day.

IMO Eaton (or now SouthBend) for street and Crower for pulling. There doesn't seem to be a one size fits all that works for both. I was going to use a Crower in a hot street truck but there isn't any way to use a normal clutch brake with one, and with the success I've seen with the SB I don't think there is a need.

IMO Eaton (or now SouthBend) for street and Crower for pulling. There doesn't seem to be a one size fits all that works for both. I was going to use a Crower in a hot street truck but there isn't any way to use a normal clutch brake with one, and with the success I've seen with the SB I don't think there is a need.

I would say SB is what I will be putting in.

I guess it depends on your level of pulling. It makes no sense for me to put a $6,000 clutch in either one of my trucks. Maybe if I had a 1,500 hp electronic Cat I'd be a different story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure how you went through an eaton if you don't slip them, and even then I have had an old style angle spring with ceramic disc behind my big cam for maybe 3 full seasons and then not sure how long before that as a work truck. I leave the line on the governor at 3000rpm and the clutch has yet to die on me.

Been thinking about this, ever looked into how the factory push type clutches work? Are they also setup without a brake?

This is what L10 does to Fuller input axles.

Attachments

• DSC_0390.jpg
    DSC_0390.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0389.jpg
    DSC_0389.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 0