Truckers, lets see your rigs!

The problem is, you can haul the weight, the pickups are set up with enough power to pull it, but have an oh s**t moment and its game over. We haul 30-35k gross with a dually and tandem dual trailer. We bought a freightliner m2 112 to put on the trailer, and you all of a sudden realize you really didn't have much control over your trailer and weight.

Don't get me wrong, pickup and trailers have there place, but it was an eye opener.

The problem is, you can haul the weight, the pickups are set up with enough power to pull it, but have an oh s**t moment and its game over. We haul 30-35k gross with a dually and tandem dual trailer. We bought a freightliner m2 112 to put on the trailer, and you all of a sudden realize you really didn't have much control over your trailer and weight.

Don't get me wrong, pickup and trailers have there place, but it was an eye opener.

I totally agree with this. Braking is the biggest shortcoming in probably any setup that is loaded to the max.

Well, I’m not gonna argue on and on about it.
I’ve asked multiple law enforcement officers about it, and relayed what I have been told. Until I’m told otherwise by law enforcement I’ll probably continue.
I’m not saying this is how it is in every state, but how it is here.
Texas use to be similar, don’t know how it is now. When I lived there I was told “you can tag it for whatever your tires are rated for”.

Hey as long as your tires can hold it, who cares if your brakes can stop it right!

When I lived there I was told “you can tag it for whatever your tires are rated for”.

Ya, eff the brakes, axles, and engine ratings. :hehe:

The laws are written horribly, I think we can all agree on that. It's a common sense thing. If anyone thinks they can pull 40-50K on the highway, keep up with traffic, stop accordingly, and not be a hazard to others with a 1-ton or 3/4 ton truck....they need their damn head examined. :pop:

Ya, eff the brakes, axles, and engine ratings. :hehe:

The laws are written horribly, I think we can all agree on that. It's a common sense thing. If anyone thinks they can pull 40-50K on the highway, keep up with traffic, stop accordingly, and not be a hazard to others with a 1-ton or 3/4 ton truck....they need their head examined. :pop:

Well, it’s not a 3/4 or 1 ton. :hehe: But I understand your point.

As someone that has overloaded a few trucks/trailers in my day I will say that there is no way I would overload something that bad. You can get a 30k GN, twin 15k axles, cousin of mine just bought one, he pulls it with a F450. Yes your tires are rated for more but the lowest denominator is the axles/brakes/bearings/etc. You are only legal to what the lowest denominator is, no matter what. Cops are always told to look at the tire ratings because people are cheap and never want to buy good tires that are rated for what they are hauling. A good cop or DOT officer will, after checking tires, look at weight rating of the vehicle/trailer components.

I work construction, as a superintendent, and deal with cranes quite often. I deal with them enough that the company sent me to crane operators training two years ago, but I did not take the test to be an operator since we are not allowed to operate equipment. Anyway, when checking the load rating of a crane for a specific pick you have to look at the load chart with your counterweights, your radius, your cable strength, then everything else. You would be surprised how often your cable strength is the limiting factor on a pick vs the amount of counterweight and radius. Anything over can cause a crane accident, the cable breaking, flipping the crane, etc. Yes there are those crane operators that like to "fish", similar to those drivers that like to trust the tires vs the vehicle components.

You must live in Oklahoma. That is exactly how OK law is written...at least for anything over 12,001# straight truck or 26,001# combination.

I believe this is a federal motor carries regulation nationwide. That way a CDL means the same thing in all 50 states.

This is exactly the reason guys in pickups put a hurting on the professional drivers. Because they simply don't follow the rules and the DOT doesn't enforce them for the pickup guys. You can register your truck for any weight you damn well please, regardless of tire rating or axle rating, but as soon as something happens and they look at the weight rating of these components to figure out what happens. All bets are off. So, can you do it, absolutely. Should you do it. Well I guess that depends on your morality.

Also, the statement about "we have enough power to pull these loads." Is complete ignorance. Power means nothing when we'r discussing safety. Last I checked on a DOT permit it did not ask for your dyno sheets.

Well now that we’ve beat the subject of safe, legal, moral, professional for awhile, here’s a load that (might) check all the boxes. Gross is 25,000 lbs.

Attachments

• A0669B41-7A95-4019-A62E-9CD0613E0730.jpg
    A0669B41-7A95-4019-A62E-9CD0613E0730.jpg
    503.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I have a build sheet for a GN with 3-12k 3" 10k/40k coupler, should have roughly ~30,000lb on Deck capacity once finally built..
Avg GN with 2-12k axles is ~20k on Deck with a 30k coupler pending final trailer tare weight..

Sounds like we got a couple LTL guys that don't scale and assume weights....

But what do I know.....

I have a build sheet for a GN with 3-12k 3" 10k/40k coupler, should have roughly ~30,000lb on Deck capacity once finally built..
Avg GN with 2-12k axles is ~20k on Deck with a 30k coupler pending final trailer tare weight..

But what do I know.....

I was hoping you’d chime in.
I know you run a lot wider area than I do.
I never have to cross scales in the area I work, but I do weigh at the rock quarry fairly often to see where I’m at.
The trailer I pull is a 23+5 and weighs 7,500 lbs, iirc.

And how many of you have CDLs and keep a log book....
Class A, not an OTR driver, so no logs for me. I will do a book when crossing state lines, but that's few and far between.

Sent from my SM-J337A using Tapatalk

I believe the only way you could get away with no CDL is to own the rig, and to haul only your own farm product, for your own use, within 150 air miles of home.

Brother in law hauls airplane propellers. Used to pull a trailer behind a pickup but DOT loves pickup trucks because so many guys don’t have the correct tags and insurance. He does but because so many don’t he was constantly getting stopped. He had an aluminum flatbed made for his truck with racks for the props and dropped his tag weight down and trucks all over the country with no DOT inspections and no log books.

So if you see a black 2015 chebby with a load of propellers driving like an azz, make way because some loads are valued at $950,000 which would make anyone’s insurance agent stroke out.

Brother in law hauls airplane propellers. Used to pull a trailer behind a pickup but DOT loves pickup trucks because so many guys don’t have the correct tags and insurance. He does but because so many don’t he was constantly getting stopped. He had an aluminum flatbed made for his truck with racks for the props and dropped his tag weight down and trucks all over the country with no DOT inspections and no log books.

So if you see a black 2015 chebby with a load of propellers driving like an azz, make way because some loads are valued at $950,000 which would make anyone’s insurance agent stroke out.

:hehe:

Um, NO lol. I also zoomed in and see that’s a big Tex 22gn which is 10k pound axles unless they’ve been replaced

He’s probably not wrong. I’m legally allowed to have 20k on a 12k steer axle as long as I don’t exceed 800# per inch of tread width. So with floats I can do 20, with 11R’s I can go 17,500. The only think I’ve heard anyone get any crap over was exceeding the tire rating.

Last edited:
One of my customers hauls props for Boeing. One coast to the other repeatedly.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

But what do I know.....

Still think you need to do this.
b1c1f88a1a18b4c49589e9ce4f9eb0ef.jpg
e97283ad6745a29e55604ca8c1a21985.jpg

He’s probably not wrong. I’m legally allowed to have 20k on a 12k steer axle as long as I don’t exceed 800# per inch of tread width. So with floats I can do 20, with 11R’s I can go 17,500. The only think I’ve heard anyone get any crap over was exceeding the tire rating.

Maybe I’m used to pa, and other states are different. But is factory gcwr not considered in other states to be the limiting factor when it comes down to it?

I was hoping you’d chime in.
I know you run a lot wider area than I do.
I never have to cross scales in the area I work, but I do weigh at the rock quarry fairly often to see where I’m at.
The trailer I pull is a 23+5 and weighs 7,500 lbs, iirc.
trailer weighs more than 7500lbs if you are just going off weight on trailer tires... add another ~2000lbs putting more the 20,000lbs on the deck something is most likely over loaded...
the other would be what the coupler is rated for.. biggest 2 5/16 is 9k/30K 9k vertical and 30k gross trailer which hitch weight + axle weight.. figured I make that clear since there are a lot out there that think trailer weight is only weight between the ground and trailer tires :doh:
avg GN coupler is 7.5k/25k kit
there's few that have a GN hitch rated for 9k/30K
AFAIK no one officially makes a GN hitch with a 10k/40K rating with a 3" ball..
B&W make a 3" version but its 7.5K/30k
im reading some of the lastest OEM trucks are coming with 3" GN balls now factory equipped.. ford is running a 3" reciever hitch im sure dodge and and GM are close behind and capable of close to 20K on a bumper pull...
un a goose doesn't exist anymore they where rated at 20k/60k
Wallace Forge Company
they make a 2 5/16 and 3" both with 2' thick shanks rated at 30000lbs, and 40,000lbs... they do make a 2 5/16-1 3/8 shank rated at 40,000lbs as well
as for the scales.. I was referring to the CAT/certified scales.. quarries don't really care that much about actual weight.. as in whether its reading heavy or light... the scale usually doesn't change in the short time a bucket is into get loaded and back out....

seen several hotshots run props. on the bigger ones either they need a double drop/RGN or a SD with 17.5/19.5 to get 33-36" deck height to keep from hitting OS regs.. smaller ones I have seen in the back on a 2500 truck stacked 3 wide on racks..

I know a few guys that have found a way to wiggle around the axle ratings rules... not on the big stuff but the little stuff.. not going to get into it because I don't condone it.