U D C

What's the max load % you see with it?

I see 100%.

I was reading a completely separate thread and a guy with an 03 was only seeing 68%, makes you wonder...

First off, I cant thank you enough for all the great information. I've been trying to soak it all up, but I'm coming out with different math for the 2400rpm range. This is what I'm getting.

22,336-20,305= 2031. 2031/2901=.70 (2901 being the difference between 20,305 and 23206)

Thanks
Jason

Looks like I had a little dyslexia going. 2031/2091=.97, but 2091 isn't the correct difference. Thanks for catching that. Here is how it should read.

Now lets look at 2400 rpms on the stock tables. Commanded pressure is 22,336. Since 22,336 falls between row's on the duration chart we have to do the math again. 22,336-20,305= 2031. 2031/2901=70% . At 20,305 the duration is 2156us and at 23,206 it's 2005us, with a 151us difference. .70*151= 105us. 2156-105=2051us.

At 2,400 rpms it takes 69us per 1° of rotation. 2051/69=29.7° of injector open time. Same thing 29.7*0.5=14.9° of timing.

AH64ID,
I have purchased an Ultraguage to use as a tool on truck and my TDI..
What guages on the Dodge have you selected on UG to benefit UDC tuning?

The ones that are most useful to tuning are load and rail pressure. I also watch TPS, Coolant Temp, IAT temp (pre-turbo), MAP temp (intake manifold).

I must have the same sickness...

Did notice in the 1500 column there are 2 entries with the same values.. of 381 for the 14504 and 15954 rows?

Will start checking math now..

How do you calculate what percentage is correct? We know that peak cylinder pressure should occur at 7-13 degrees after TDC.

Paul

I have heard 50:50 is about ideal (or a good place to start), and anything over that takes some mods to hold the high cylinder pressure. I run under 50:50 in the towing rpms, but won't know how that works until next spring when I hook the camper back up.

At low loads, cruise, you can run a lot 100 or more, and need to for mileage. That's okay because peak cylinder pressure and piston heat are low from low fuel flow.

12-18 is what I have heard for peak pressure, and how to calculate that I am still trying to figure it out. Ignition delay plays a big role, as does rpm/boost, etc. But if you have a 50:50 spilt at 3000 rpms and 20° of timing the injection event is running until 20° ATDC, which is past the desired peak point. But if you run 60:40 your chance of igniting pre-TDC is larger and thus can make less power.

I personally wouldn't recommend going above 50:50 without a dyno, some may say lower even.

Has anyone figured out what the max timing can be for the main event to not leave the bowl? I have heard 28°? Marco said 32.2° was the most he saw a benefit to, but at the piston speeds of 3K plus there is going to be a several degree injector delay (which is a whole other topic, that I am not worrying about in my application).

Last edited:
Well, thought I would post some results.. I have about one week into creating a tune making adjustments on a daily bases from picking up tid bits of advise on this thread mostly from AH64ID's comments and PM's..

I used Revo 9 as a sample file in the beginning and have ended up with the below maps.. I have adjusted the timing & rail pressures off of AH64ID's spread sheet and timing calculator information to ensure I was within the safe timing zone for the fueling I was using.. After using the timing calculator information I decreased the timing and rail pressure quite a bit and I would say I have more power now than i did when the tables where higher.. The maximum rail pressure is 23,398 psi and the maximum timing is 20.1 BTDC..

If you would like a sample file PM me..

Timing Max @ 20.1 BTDC

UDCNov26Timing.png

Fuel Pressure Max @ 23,398

UDCNov26RailPressure.png

Torque

UDCNov26Torque.png

Last edited:
Have you run this? How was that torque setting?

Yes I've run it.. The torque is very street-able without the runaway feeling but you still have that feel of power, if you want to go it goes, but has nice manners say, below 35-40% load.. I think the ability to adjust torque is the best option on UDC.. This tune is virtually smoke free unless you dump on it.. Spooling is great too..

Yes I've run it.. The torque is very street-able without the runaway feeling but you still have that feel of power, if you want to go it goes, but has nice manners say, below 35-40% load.. I think the ability to adjust torque is the best option on UDC.. This tune is virtually smoke free unless you dump on it.. Spooling is great too..

Glad I'm not the only one that wrote a TQ table like that. I agree that the TQ MGMNT function on UDC helps a lot with the overall tune. Especially on the higher modified street trucks. I'm really liking the base tune I came up with so far. It's got a couple areas that need some TLC for my setup but overall very impressed with this software and the capabilities it gives us so far. :rockwoot:

Jason,

I am at a similar step to you grabbed a couple of XLS sheets I found on the net.. reading and making my own xls to work from.. based on all the Great info..

I actually started doing the same thing tonight. All this info has been extreemely helpful

Looks like I had a little dyslexia going. 2031/2091=.97, but 2091 isn't the correct difference. Thanks for catching that. Here is how it should read.

Now lets look at 2400 rpms on the stock tables. Commanded pressure is 22,336. Since 22,336 falls between row's on the duration chart we have to do the math again. 22,336-20,305= 2031. 2031/2901=70% . At 20,305 the duration is 2156us and at 23,206 it's 2005us, with a 151us difference. .70*151= 105us. 2156-105=2051us.

At 2,400 rpms it takes 69us per 1° of rotation. 2051/69=29.7° of injector open time. Same thing 29.7*0.5=14.9° of timing.

Thank you very much for the clarification

I received my UDC dongle and upgraded S04 on Monday 12/03/12. I spent most of this morning loading the latest TNTR software into Smarty, as it came with The Revo tune. This was my first upgrade since my vin-locked 2007 TNTR version, and also with my new laptop, which is why it took me all morning. I kind of freaked out when Windows 7 started loading the drivers by itself, but quickly saw the note that this operating system would find the correct driver...

First off, my 03 likes this latest tune S06PV411E_UTS01C.smt, compared to the vin-locked TNTR. It is much smoother from idle, throughout the rpm band, spools earlier (1200 rpm), less smoke down low and cleans up quick. Feels damn strong, WOT 25k rp, 50+ boost, but egts were higher at 1200+, I loaded SW7 all defaults except rp(3), rpm hi, shift de fuel stock, sl 250.

I have to drive this some more, including towing, but it may be difficult for me to improve upon. I am not sure I am savvy enough to figure this UDC out and am not afraid to admit it. I have not yet plugged in my dongle, are there any surprises, or do I just plug it into my PC, then plug the Smarty in and hit the UDC sw?
What the heck is the necklace/strap for? TIA Jess

No surprises, just plug it in and go.

You will be surprised what minor tweaks do for driveability.

I think I got something wrong with my pusher pump. At wide open throttle as soon as I shift into Overdrive my trail pressure drops from 21,000 down to 17,300 and then will not go over 21,000. I can get it up to 23,000 but just not at wot.

I only have f1 40hp injectors and I've tried 33% over cp3 and bag of parts. The pusher is the only thing i haven't replaced.

Could the PRV be bad? Leaking?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Sorry I need to update my profile. I replaced pressure releif valve with a 29,000 psi rated one.

Do you monitor LP pressure?

Depending on the commanded duration you could be draining the rail.

That's the only thing i can't. I have a gage on top of fuel canister. So i can only see fuel pressure at idle. Will be checking fuel pressure at wot soon. Maybe tomorrow morning.

Back