upgraded ecm for the vp's!

Does anyone know of a specific year or part number of ECU that revs to 4000? It might be a good place to look for clues.

Nah, 3200-3500. Roachie did mention he has seen some that just do. An anamoly, I guess. I wish it was stock.

Reading about the Mercedes Benz OM606, jeez what a mill.

The ECU, as you import experts refer to them, I sent you is out of an Auto tranny truck, year 2000.

Does anyone know of a specific year or part number of ECU that revs to 4000? It might be a good place to look for clues.

There is no such animal.

if an engine does hit that RPM, it's because the ECM does not know what is going on due to other modifications.

I started out barely getting past 4k rpm. After playing around with fuel pressure adjustments, installing switched power to my lift pump etc., I'm now limited with a Redline box to 4360rpm. Since I sold my redline box, the Adrenaline limits me to 4100rpm. I just want Quad to give me back my 260rpm & I'll be happy. lol

The impression I'm getting here is that depending on how heavily you can overfuel, it you might be able to keep it going a bit longer. It sounds like at these RPM's you're on the downward slope of a limiter.

Last edited:
The impression I'm getting here is that depending on how heavily you can overfuel, it you might be able to keep it going a bit longer. It sounds like at these RPM's you're on the downward slope of a limiter.

Yes!

Stock fuel curve is such that peak power is @ 2700. From there it's downhill.

Peak RPM full load (100% throttle input) is 3200 RPM.

Peak RPM at less than full load is 3500 RPM.

Electronic add on boxes have the ability to delay de-fuel to 3200, but no further without cutting the ECM and FPCM out of the loop.

I got the ECU in the mail from Brian. I started poking at it and the way I *think* it comes apart is by bending the outer halves apart like you were opening a book. That doesn't seem like something that I'd like to try on a good ECU so I might be on the lookout for a bad one. I've also been looking at some wiring diagrams to see about powering up the ECU on the bench. This page has a couple of different diagrams: http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/ECM/index.html

It differentiates between Ram and non-Ram applications which made me think that perhaps they're referring to separate vehicle and industrial applications because the two wiring diagrams are quite different. Does anyone have any feedback on that or is there something I'm missing?

Here is a pic of a dyno graph from 2006 showing my 99 fueling out till 3350. I have another chart showing power being made up to 3550. Most of my runs were done using a TST Comp. Thanks again.:Cheer: Back then I had a II 62/65/12, stg 5 Jammers, TST Comp stacked with a VA, and stock fuel lines and banjos with 2 factory lift pumps.
Message - Dodge Diesel, Diesel Truck Resource Galleries

Last edited:
The ecm does fold open like a book.
Take the screws out of the back of the ecm first and fold open 90 degrees.
Then remove front screws.
Inside there are four screws that hold the plug in place.
You should then be able to remove the frame from the cover.

So, we wanna take bets on which of us finds the piston melter tune first? LOL

Sorry things are kind of slow going with this one. I still haven't read the ecu as I was hoping to find a way that doesn't involve potentially destroying a good ecu.

Sorry things are kind of slow going with this one. I still haven't read the ecu as I was hoping to find a way that doesn't involve potentially destroying a good ecu.

Ah, dont worry about that. Im sure there are more that would give you an extra one. Ive got two and would be willing to send one.

.......does that put me ahead of roachie on the tester list, lol

vwmikel.

Please, don't worry about it. Cook the friggin' thing if you have to...:evil

Man,I REALLY don't want to read the Marco CaTCHER ECM thread again over on the TDR....

This is another JDonoghue thread, these are pretty good....

Inside the ECU - TDR Roundtable

Hey vwmikel,

Look here at post #19. Does this help you at all?

Inside the ECU - Page 2 - TDR Roundtable

WOW. The VP-44 is quite the pump! Takes fuel temp measurements, is capable of making adjustments on the fly, is capable of a pilot injection event AND a 6000 rpm redline! AND the MAP signal, the IAT signal, and the coolant temp signal can all be manipulated in the same fashion. The fuel solenoid is a bit different, I think. I wonder if the CPS can be manipulated, too.

Too bad it is so fragile.

Last edited:
I got the ECU in the mail from Brian. I started poking at it and the way I *think* it comes apart is by bending the outer halves apart like you were opening a book. That doesn't seem like something that I'd like to try on a good ECU so I might be on the lookout for a bad one. I've also been looking at some wiring diagrams to see about powering up the ECU on the bench. This page has a couple of different diagrams: http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/ECM/index.html

It differentiates between Ram and non-Ram applications which made me think that perhaps they're referring to separate vehicle and industrial applications because the two wiring diagrams are quite different. Does anyone have any feedback on that or is there something I'm missing?

The engines and vp are used in non-ram apps like freightliner,sterling, medium duty trucks, is that what you are refering to