We race trucks not flow benches!

Bro, calm down. I wasn't talking about you, and If I was I doubt anyone would notice or care. Jeff = racinduallie, not you. I wouldn't even waste my time calling you out. Sorry to bust your bubble.

Oooh burn.

Bro, calm down. I wasn't talking about you, and If I was I doubt anyone would notice or care. Jeff = racinduallie, not you. I wouldn't even waste my time calling you out. Sorry to bust your bubble.

I'm not a cool kid like you. Damn the luck.

This thread is ridiculous. Full of: He said's, mysterious manufacturers, secret forums, and people trying to discredit Bill Fletcher.....................BILL FREAKIN FLETCHER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why do threads involving cams always end up like this? This didn't even start out as a cam thread.

Grinding my cam not rocket science, not a cnc but it works.
DSC00020.jpg

If you had a CNC Cam machine in your shop and the cam machine in your photo, and had one top of the line cam blanks to machine a cam for your own truck, which of the two machines would you choose and why?

Guys, I have been in airports the last two days, so I have not been able to respond. The reason I started this thread was to show how flow numbers on differenct machines don't really prove much. I then asked why did you choose to run a cam other than mine. On the other thread, It was posed as "why would any one dare run anything other than a Hamilton" but that is not what I meant. All that I wanted to know was, if you chose another cam, why, and is there somthing I can do better, to serve my customers as far as information or service that will help them choose the right cam or head for their truck.

THis he said she said thing, is not exactly the intent of the thread. After spending a week with Harvey Crane this summer, and learning about designing and more importantly the business aspects of camshafts, this is nothing new. In fact, this is rather tame compared to what has gone on in the past with Ed Iskendarian buying Harvey's new designs and copying them and Sig Erson and Clay Smith battling it out. In Harvey's words, camshafts are a niche' market inside of motorsports which are a niche' market. It always creates confrontation, and colorful charachters. It is the nature of the business.

This is all I do for a living, I am all in. If I don't do the best that I can on every single design, I do not have a cushy union job to fall back on. I know this is my word against others, and talk is cheap. I have met very few of you in person, and you have no way of telling if I am lying, but I would not jeapordize my families sole source of income by copying a crap profile that was initially copied off of a crap used profile that was sent in for repair, all on a manual machine. I have 360 degree lift tables for my camshafts, that is design data. I have all of the emails from myself to my designer. The sad thing, is that there is no way I will post up my designs online so it really is my word against other grinders.

Most profiles that grinders have are copied off of used cams that are sent in for repair. The grinders "read" the profile off of a good used lobe and translate them into a "master" so that the lobe that has been wiped can be repaired. I would say most "custom cams" are produced in this way. LSA's vary by as much as 2 degrees, lobe centers vary cylinder to cylinder and duration and lift vary quite a bit. Will manual ground cams work.....? Heck yes they will. Is there something better? Heck yes! Most people don't grasp that their intake valves can open or close 2-5 degrees in either direction or more in some instances. I find it funny that people balance rotation assemblies and yet use regrinds that open and close the intake and exhaust at different times based on piston position. Balance the crank, and then open the exhaust 5 degrees later which will give all cylinders differing power strokes in terms of duration and over power output of each cylinder.

When you have slow sloppy profiles, regrinds are great. As profiles becoome more "exotic", as piston to valve clearance s get closer, as you look for that last 2-3% of performance. CNC ground cams become a much bigger advantage. Or if you don't care about that last few percent on the table you can just fly-cut your pistons, lower the compression, and make room for all of the inconsistencies;)

Like I asked, if you have a reason why you did not purchase my product, I would love to hear it. Charger, I do not need defending, as I am asking for all of the negative comments that people have. And besides, I can not afford you!

I really just wanted to see if the reasons people did not use me were logical based conclusions or if it was due to an illogical set of reasons. A wise man once told me, not all business is worth having. That being said, there are people that buy different cams that I would not want buying mine or as spokesmen for my product ;)

Please forgive my typos in the last post. Also, although I will not post up my profile lift tables. Any one of you that are in the area of the shop, feel free to stop by and I will be more than happy to show you, what goes into one of our cams and wil even show you on our cam analyzer how a CNC ground cam varies from a manual machine.

I love it when people twist a story to suit their needs. Zach, you're a great salesman :lolly:. As long as you can design a cam as much as you can BS someone, you'll do just fine.

A little hint though, maybe you should know the businesses/people you attack a little more.. Just a thought. I can see the type of person you are. I honestly thought you were a bit better then that, oh well. You can have your thread back now. :Cheer:

Last edited:
I would dare say there are only a handful of competent designers in the world. I do not belong to that club. Like I have stated numberous times. I dictate a few parameters and let the designer do his job.

ive just been reading this thread since it was started trying to gather information. i cant really paricipate because i dont have experience with cams at all, i dont do high performance. i own a set of hamilton 110lbs springs and when people are looking for valvetrain parts hamilton is who i always recomend. ive had no complaints so far.

ive just been reading this thread since it was started trying to gather information. i cant really paricipate because i dont have experience with cams at all, i dont do high performance. i own a set of hamilton 110lbs springs and when people are looking for valvetrain parts hamilton is who i always recomend. ive had no complaints so far.

Cool...

I would dare say there are only a handful of competent designers in the world. I do not belong to that club. Like I have stated numberous times. I dictate a few parameters and let the designer do his job.

Well, you might also want to let any racers here know that they should hang it up. If it isn't their career, they will never accomplish anything.

could the variation, in a supposedly drop in cam, ground on a manual machine(non cnc) result in piston to valve contact?

I don't see how if it is a reground, unless its timing has been altered, ie changed the point of reference to the pistons tdc.

I don't see how if it is a reground, unless its timing has been altered, ie changed the point of reference to the pistons tdc.

He was saying the lsa could be off 2° which would alter the timing for that specific lobe. I think the piston to valve clearance would have to be pretty tight already for that to cause contact.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Well, you might also want to let any racers here know that they should hang it up. If it isn't their career, they will never accomplish anything.

I not following. Are you trying to trash me? If so, don't sugar coat it. Spit it out there junior.

Charger, having a cam reground on a manual machine as opposed to a CNC, should not by itself cause that. If there were two or three other factors like decked head, incorrect offset key and a very loose regrind. The combintaion could make it hit. Although a regrind on a manual machine would be more likely to wear and/or have less performance.

Zach

THis he said she said thing, is not exactly the intent of the thread. After spending a week with Harvey Crane this summer, and learning about designing and more importantly the business aspects of camshafts, this is nothing new. In fact, this is rather tame compared to what has gone on in the past with Ed Iskendarian buying Harvey's new designs and copying them and Sig Erson and Clay Smith battling it out. In Harvey's words, camshafts are a niche' market inside of motorsports which are a niche' market. It always creates confrontation, and colorful charachters. It is the nature of the business.

Right as I got back to this thread today, and moments before reading this paragraph I started to think of cam options for a SBC...because that is where the majority of my cam knowledge and experience comes from. The options and companies are nearly unlimited, I've run Isky, 3x Crane, 2x Comp (current), Crower (favorite cam ever in my Chevelle!!!) and even a Manley back in the day.

I think the Cummins performance world has it narrowed down to two companies, like it or not, there seems to be two really left. The ones people feel the need to argue about...and they both do a fine job.

The bickering is simply childish. One can only hope that no aftermarket performance part supplier should expect to have the market cornered and create a monopoly. Which NONE of us should want...the competition is what drive the industry. If there is not a competing company then technology and innovation will stagnate!!!

I not following. Are you trying to trash me? If so, don't sugar coat it. Spit it out there junior.

Do you have someone else do all the typing for you? You brag about this being your only job, you don't have a cush job to fall back on if you fail. Are you not telling me you're going to do a better job because of this? Not sugar coating anything. Hopefully you do a better job figuring out cams then a simple sentence.

Back