What is NHRDA's future for Pro Street?

I think they will keep picking up speed and dropping tenths... I do not think the limit has been reached yet...

As an example of my line of reasoning:
Last year at Scheid the Pro Street final round featured a winning 6.4614 @ 110.49
THIS year at Scheid the Pro Street final round winner ran a 5.9688 @ 120.62

Last year at TS the Pro Street final round winner ran a 9.946 @ 138.47
THIS year at TS the Pro Street final round winner ran a 8.851 @ 163.79

The fast trucks are getting faster every year and I hope they continue to get faster still!!! I want them to be safe though at the same time!!!

Either petition NHRA for a rule change( which will likely make for a mandatory chassis and cage change) or add weight to keep it a "bit" slower, or just take power down a notch.

Most of you are overthinking this, there is only what 3 trucks in the 8's???

and how many in the class 20-30???

Most win with a 9.40-9.80

Like jared said it's hard to go faster once your going that fast. i bet that in a effort to save parts, money and headack that jared backs his power down a notch ...

I know everyone wants to go fast, but there comes a point where full size trucks in the 8's is too fast for the availible saftey equipment...

Hey you could allways build a Pro stock and show me how "easy" it is. LOL

Last edited:
Either petition NHRA for a rule change( which will likely make for a mandatory chassis and cage change) or add weight to keep it a "bit" slower, or just take power down a notch.

Most of you are overthinking this, there is only what 3 trucks in the 8's???

and how many in the class 20-30???

Most win with a 9.40-9.80

Like jared said it's hard to go faster once your going that fast. i bet that in a effort to save parts, money and headack that jared backs his power down a notch ...

I know everyone wants to go fast, but there comes a point where full size trucks in the 8's is too fast for the availible saftey equipment...

Hey you could allways build a Pro stock and show me how "easy" it is. LOL

Just teach us how to suck money from sponsors and we will.

Just teach us how to suck money from sponsors and we will.

I first built this truck with out one penny from a sponsor complete and running.....I've earned every sponsor i currently have since then, with innititive, hard work and a God given Skill set..

I cant teach you innititive or hard work. But its there for those who want it! Trust me, my truck is Wayyy harder work than i ever imagined it would be!

From what little I understand is there are several Pro Street Trucks being built. And of course going fast is hard on parts.

But the almighty arrogant one does have a point...if you want to go faster, step up in class.

I first built this truck with out one penny from a sponsor complete and running.....I've earned every sponsor i currently have since then, with innititive, hard work and a God given Skill set..

I cant teach you innititive or hard work. But its there for those who want it! Trust me, my truck is Wayyy harder work than i ever imagined it would be!

what the hell is innititive??? :nail:

I think they will keep picking up speed and dropping tenths... I do not think the limit has been reached yet...

Last year at Scheid the Pro Street final round featured a winning 6.4614 @ 110.49

The fast trucks are getting faster every year and I hope they continue to get faster still!!! I want them to be safe though at the same time!!!

Those are light years away from each other!

Jim

Just because they were the final round winner, doesn't mean it was the fastest truck. So your splits are misleading.

the NHRA race is this weekend @ Ennis, would be nice to have some trucks there to show off how the diesel industry is growing and what people can do with them

@160mph+ they are just a good 60' away from being quicker than 8.50.

Wade obviously didn't bother to read the thread, or he would have noted that adding weight was already suggested and rebutted with the fact that prostreet is already only 500lbs from 2wd super street.

I don't think anyone racing heads up is in favor of going slower, and moving up a class would require a huge cash outlay for a new chassis and safety equipment.

As far as petitioning the NHRA, I think that could be a viable solution, however it would only be productive with the full support of the NHRDA.

From what I can see there are as many pro street trucks being built as there are being sold off. That and if a truck is being sold whole it is likely going to be raced again. I hear a ton of this fuel costs and jobs being slow and parts being expensive, but the fuel races I was able to attend this year, (Mission and Edmonton) both had great turn outs.

I don't know that there is one right or easy answer, but it is still something that needs to be discussed as every year the parts and innovation build on the years passed and trucks get quicker and faster. I know for us personally in super street we have gone from 140mph to 152mph in the last three seasons. With more to come.

I see positives and negatives to moving to an 8.50 index, the positives being that it would open the doors to people building obscure, but quick street vehicles (rat rods, ford rangers, dodge daktota's ect...) and give them a class to compete in. The downside is without the heads up quickest truck regardless of time dimension we loose the die hard heads up guys, as well as we loose the innovation that has brought this class to be as quick and as fast as it is.

I implore all of you to keep coming up with new ideas and suggestions. I started this thread, but I have no vested interest in pro street other than I enjoy watching the class and having that many more people competing.

@160mph+ they are just a good 60' away from being quicker than 8.50.

Wade obviously didn't bother to read the thread, or he would have noted that adding weight was already suggested and rebutted with the fact that prostreet is already only 500lbs from 2wd super street.

I don't think anyone racing heads up is in favor of going slower, and moving up a class would require a huge cash outlay for a new chassis and safety equipment.

As far as petitioning the NHRA, I think that could be a viable solution, however it would only be productive with the full support of the NHRDA.

From what I can see there are as many pro street trucks being built as there are being sold off. That and if a truck is being sold whole it is likely going to be raced again. I hear a ton of this fuel costs and jobs being slow and parts being expensive, but the fuel races I was able to attend this year, (Mission and Edmonton) both had great turn outs.

I don't know that there is one right or easy answer, but it is still something that needs to be discussed as every year the parts and innovation build on the years passed and trucks get quicker and faster. I know for us personally in super street we have gone from 140mph to 152mph in the last three seasons. With more to come.

I see positives and negatives to moving to an 8.50 index, the positives being that it would open the doors to people building obscure, but quick street vehicles (rat rods, ford rangers, dodge daktota's ect...) and give them a class to compete in. The downside is without the heads up quickest truck regardless of time dimension we loose the die hard heads up guys, as well as we loose the innovation that has brought this class to be as quick and as fast as it is.

I implore all of you to keep coming up with new ideas and suggestions. I started this thread, but I have no vested interest in pro street other than I enjoy watching the class and having that many more people competing.

Great post! And very true on the poss e.t.'s based on mph If these guys could learn to get them to short track as well. Man, it's come a long way in just a very few years. I hope it's able to stay around and do well for a long time.

Tucker

I just recently reviewed the NHRDA Pro Street rules. Pretty loose to say the least. As open as the rules are and as innovative as some I've seen here, 8.5's are just around the corner. From what I have seen and from the pro street talk here at compd, the weight minimum needs to be dropped and the engine restrictions need to be raised.

Don't index it. The class is titled 'Pro' Street.

Drop the weight down to say 3500lbs (2wd) and throw an engine restriction on there to reduce the cost of building a Pro Street truck. You for sure need to keep the trucks slower than 8.50 as the chassis costs alone would pitch the work'n man right out.

We attended TS last year and Schied this year. No doubt, the Pro Street class is where it's at. ...still looks like a truck should, only brutal fastttttttttttttt!

Im sure alot wouldnt like this, but what about limiting them to 1/8th mile once this problem really becomes a problem? Most of the races are usually decided by the 1/8th anyways.

Im pretty sure Larry Larsons car got a special waiver from NHRA for a few things. So Id say its possible to get some tweaks to the rules. However, I doubt they are gonna give a big warm go-ahead to some heavy vehicles.

Adding weight is nothing new, but how much weight will have to be added to slow them down? I know that "slowing down" a race vehicle is not ideal, but it will be better than not racing at all, or making it an index class.

Limiting us to 1/8 mile sounds just as good as getting a hard on and sticking it in a blender!!!! No good. Lmfao

Watching Seth Sullivan and Ashley Black race this year, I would disagree about the 1/8th mile. Sullivan's truck to this point doesn't short time very well, but makes huge power, and comes around just about anyone on the back half. Had it been an 1/8th mile race it would have been very close, but at a 1/4mile it was not so much.

Well I am not opposed to 1/8th mile racing, it would be odd to have just one class in the NHRDA as an 1/8th mile class.

Because of how close in weight Pro Street and Super Street 2wd are (4500 and 5000lbs respectively) I can't see adding weight as a viable option, as the lines between the classes are already borderline blurred. I would be more in favor of dropping the weight to 3600lbs, as Pro Stock is still over 1000 lbs lighter at that point, and it would put a larger gap between Super Street and Pro Street, and still maintain a healthy gap between Pro Stock and Pro Street. The obvious downside to that is all the teams that already have purpose built Pro Street trucks would now be almost 1000lbs heavy and would need to put some big $$$ into their trucks in order to have them be competitive. However I do think this would give a home to some vehicles that have been built as very quick street vehicles (Rob's El Camino comes to mind first off) that are not cert'd and are too heavy to truly run at the top of Pro Stock.

As a spectator and a supporter, I enjoy these topics! The only thing I care about is that you are going to be able to walk away after an accident. I was happy when randy said he need to cage a class that was running 10 seconds, or faster. Go as fast as you want but please make sure all safety equipment has been looked at, updated, and added into these discussions.

Adding weight is not a good option anyway you look at it. More weight is less safe if there is an accident. More weight will break stuff at an even faster rate which will increase costs and reduce competitors.

NHRA still has rules and E.T./MPH break points for 1/8 mile.