What is the BEST injector???

I think I will invest in a magic wand a Harry Potter novel collection later this week.

see how ya are?

(my injectors ship tomorrow)

145° 5x14 +015 280-285 bar

no dual feed

none of the rock guards removed

and no magic

i have heard it said that "the only luck there is in racing is bad luck"

that, and, "in racing you make your own luck"

and i think both are true

This is a classic topic, never with a clear answer. There's only two ways to find out what is the best injector for you and your truck. The first way is to buy many sets, and keep what works best. The second is much easier, and just a question away.. There are so many other fellow diesel heads now, more than likely someone is using your exact combination (or atleast very near it). Post the exact mods you have, then ask what kind of numbers people are making with which injectors. This will answer your question without much debate..

My favorite injector of all time is the 90hp DDP for an 05 and up stock pump third gen with a 62-14 II normal phat shaft turbo.. haha 12.21 diesel only 2wd with a slow 60' and still tow heavy as well. That doesn't help you out though..

Post your new question, and wait for answers..

This is a classic topic, never with a clear answer. There's only two ways to find out what is the best injector for you and your truck. The first way is to buy many sets, and keep what works best. The second is much easier, and just a question away.. There are so many other fellow diesel heads now, more than likely someone is using your exact combination (or atleast very near it). Post the exact mods you have, then ask what kind of numbers people are making with which injectors. This will answer your question without much debate..

My favorite injector of all time is the 90hp DDP for an 05 and up stock pump third gen with a 62-14 II normal phat shaft turbo.. haha 12.21 diesel only 2wd with a slow 60' and still tow heavy as well. That doesn't help you out though..

Post your new question, and wait for answers..

Hey stop that...... We are talking about Harry Potter and magic wands. :)

What accounts for the difference? Are you suggesting that altering the lift and opening pressure will vary the rating by 100hp? Let's step back into what I like to call "The Real World" for just a minute, back to back 0.010" lift added ~ 40hp.

I have no idea what accounts for the difference, you would have to ask Don.

Paul

had M4's, M5.8's and now M6+'s. all from F1.

They work great!!! the 4's were a great daily driver, as were the 5.8's. The 5.8's made 570ish, and the 6+'s are running VERY well, but they do haze...

as for the hole size thing....all "orifices" are noth the same....pick up a fluid system design book, and you will see what I am talking about.

Sorry about using the term "magic". I think we all know it's not magic.

Paul

Spray angles make a big difference so two of the same ( Z x Y ) size injectors will not perform the same.

Do you consider dyno results and smoke comparison to be hype?

I've been using different F-1 injectors for 6 years now with great luck!! I just dyno'd my mach 6's (converted for p-pump) and it laid down 761 hp. #2 only. This injector is pretty clean, as I daily drive the truck. I also have a set of DDP comp 250's (70 lpm) which I have not dyno'd yet. I will not use them on the street because they spray out of the bowl at 22* and are a smokey mess. I'm hoping to just use them for the track. I called DDP and spoke to Lenny about the smoke issue. He asked me what I was using for a supply pump and I told him a FASS 260 gph @45 psi. He told me 45 psi was way too much psi for a p-pump.....wtf?

The hole size in the Mach 4, 5, 6, and 7's are the same size. The injectors are rated at over a 100hp difference. Pretty cool magic huh!?!

The injectors that are in my 02 have over 110,000 miles on them. Somewhere around 140,000 I think. They started life as a Mach 4, and then after I put twins on the truck I decided I wanted more fuel. I sent them to Don and he made them into Mach 6+'s and they have been that way for the last few years. They have not even been out of the truck since they were upgraded to Mach 6+'s.

I have over 1,800 1/4 mile passes, often either towing my travel trailer to races or my 05. I live at a pretty high altitude, and daily drive either the 02 or the 05 (it's a hard decision!).

I am not un-happy at all with the route I took, and would suggest you do the same. Buy a set of Mach 4's and see what happens in the future.

Paul
I was thinking of just going Mach 5's but now im not sure:doh:

Moper Man have you talked to Weston (Smokem). I have talked to Doug and Jim have heard great things baout his work. I also have had Mach injectors and liked them very well.
No I have not. I have been hearing about his injectors tho. But dont have much input on them

The 5's and 6's do smoke more, just how much has tons of variables. The key to a great running truck is the right combination of parts. Going bigger than needed only increases heat, turbo lag, and smoke. With your current turbo the 4's will be your best bet......

Doug
Thanks im now thinking of going Mach 4's and calling it a day:Cheer:

He told me 45 psi was way too much psi for a p-pump

lenny lenny lenny

when he told me that i just kinda chuckled and changed the subject

then i took his injectors outta my truck and pretty much gave them away

are f1 nozzles sac or what are they?

Thanks im now thinking of going Mach 4's and calling it a day:Cheer:

I ran the 4's for a while with the vp and they were super clean. I also ran the 6's after a turbo upgrade (II SB) with the vp and they were super clean also. Hope this helps.

DTanklage, Lenny is full of knowledge. He told me the same thing about the pressure, though I tried the higher pressure with my stock 160 P-pump anyway.. Matt Wells drove/tuned my truck, and also said I was running way too much pressure. Matt could somehow tell before I told him.. He told me to back it down.. This wasn't an extremely fast daily driver, but it did run 11.50's on diesel only, max egt's were in the 1200's, it was basicly smoke free, and could pull my wifes' horse trailer very well.. That was with DDP 79's.. What I'm trying to say is the Garmon crew doesn't believe in that much pressure either. I see you've been a member since Jan, and have over 1,000 posts. There are many here that are trying to learn. Slow down on your posts, learn, then pass it on.. I just don't want others to think what Lenny's saying is false, or he isn't credible. He is.. I've had the guy build me injectors for years now with prooven success.. Those have been for 12 valves, CR's, and now my dmax camaro.

Lenny is full of knowledge.

never said i know more about diesel than lenny does

glad you are so happy with his injectors

ps - sorry i ask so many questions

no, i aint gonna stop asking just yet

what does lowering the fuel pressure benifit?

Last edited:
Weston, i believe awhile back i give you some not right fact about my injectors. They were not blanks i misunderstood or missinterpreted what my man told me. They are a bosch sac style nozzle that were 6 hole something that he had lasered to 6x18 and had the spray angle messed with and told me to run 28-32* timing. The bodies were extrude honed to as big as allowable and the lift and pintle work were also done. You know more about the specifics than i do so i was just wondering what your take on my injectors would be. I just run the damn things. LOL

why do our trucks make white smoke when the timing is that far adv?

does it have something to do with the cyl pressure being so much lower when the event starts or what?

thats all i can figure

i have heard raw diesel produces white smoke but dont see where that would play into the answer

and cant someone figure out a way to make the p-pump have a timing curve?

that would be sweet

start at 12° and curve to 36° over 3k rpm or something like that

that would be one trick timing gear

i know it is possible... dont want to know what it would cost tho

guess i could always go back to the ve?

ummm, no

mountain dew rocks