What timing to run at the strip?

whitehoopty

What timing to run at the strip? 12 valve

Got a cds 12mm pump can go to 600cc but still moving the plate around to find out where i want it, ddp4's and stock pistons. with a 64 charger. wondering what i should run timing wise for the strip?

Last edited:
you will be lucky to clear up 300cc of fuel with justa 64. i'd start around 20*

ya im running at 27° now. think we'll back it off tonight. anybody else running at the strip?

I would think you'd be out of the bowl at 27 with those injectors. Try less and see how it does.

22* on mine at the moment, 25-26* on dads. I have ddps and marine pistons. He has sdx and stock pistons.

Pretty sure your waaaayyy outside the bowl, drop down around 20ish. And why such a big injection pump for such crappy injectors? That sucker must run really hot...

dropped it down to 20. we'll see how it runs saturday. and limited what injectors do you think i should run?

Go 25+ Im sure my brother will chime in Im sure. I cant remember wht he runs but he has a setup close to yours. Youre going hear about comming out of the bowls and on and on. His set up works and he makes over 700 with a 64/71 and ddp4s.

Pretty sure your waaaayyy outside the bowl, drop down around 20ish. And why such a big injection pump for such crappy injectors? That sucker must run really hot...

DDP 4's are crappy? What injectors arent crappy then??

DDP 4's are crappy? What injectors arent crappy then??

ddp4s are basically a glorified 370. everyone thinks 370's are chit thus the same thought process is applied to ddps. but ther is plenty of potentional in them. big power can be made

Go 25+ Im sure my brother will chime in Im sure. I cant remember wht he runs but he has a setup close to yours. Youre going hear about comming out of the bowls and on and on. His set up works and he makes over 700 with a 64/71 and ddp4s.

Personally i'd be interested in seeing him try 18 degrees and then 25+ like you guys like back to back. Timing change at the track may be more than the OP would like but it would certainly be helpful to the rest of us knuckle heads$.02

In comparison to the pump he has and the other injectors out there, those are crappy. I know plenty of people make big power with DDP4's, but with a better set you could make more power with less heat and less smoke, and have a better idle, easier start, etc. For a 12v I would run SDX injectors.

I know someone that likes the ddps better they run cleaner by a lot and run cooler.

ddp4s are basically a glorified 370. everyone thinks 370's are chit thus the same thought process is applied to ddps. but ther is plenty of potentional in them. big power can be made

UM.....NO they aret even close to 370s. But you are right
theres a ton of people running them and making awesome power....

As far as the timing is concerned. As I said before with what you have I would go no more than 20. You will not only move the spray pattern but your peak power will move and on the track you dont want that. You will be happy with 17-18 MAX!

In comparison to the pump he has and the other injectors out there, those are crappy. I know plenty of people make big power with DDP4's, but with a better set you could make more power with less heat and less smoke, and have a better idle, easier start, etc. For a 12v I would run SDX injectors.

And you have ran both injecters in a 12 valve? whats the hp difference? and as of your 24 valve. my brother went 12.6 @ 106 with the crappy ddps

UM.....NO they aret even close to 370s. But you are right
theres a ton of people running them and making awesome power....

As far as the timing is concerned. As I said before with what you have I would go no more than 20. You will not only move the spray pattern but your peak power will move and on the track you dont want that. You will be happy with 17-18 MAX!

I have performed back to back testing on my stock 160 pump with stock 160 injectors with stock timing at 12.3* vs bumped timing set at 24.5*.

The result was roughly 40 HP increase based purely on 1/4 mile trap speed increase from the bumped timing.

I have not yet tried other timing settings, but wonder why you think 17-18 is optimal for the drag strip? Have you tested different timing settings or do you have some sort of input to support why 17-18* is optimal in you opinion?

I'm just curious, not being arguementive or hostile.

If i had one of those fancy billet covers and adjustable timing gears, I would play around with timing more often. It's such a pain to mess with timing on my truck that I haven't played with it much.

I have performed back to back testing on my stock 160 pump with stock 160 injectors with stock timing at 12.3* vs bumped timing set at 24.5*.

The result was roughly 40 HP increase based purely on 1/4 mile trap speed increase from the bumped timing.

I have not yet tried other timing settings, but wonder why you think 17-18 is optimal for the drag strip? Have you tested different timing settings or do you have some sort of input to support why 17-18* is optimal in you opinion?

I'm just curious, not being arguementive or hostile.

If i had one of those fancy billet covers and adjustable timing gears, I would play around with timing more often. It's such a pain to mess with timing on my truck that I haven't played with it much.

I can't speak for certain for the guy you're asking the question to but i'd assume because common internet information states 155 degree injectors to be out of the bowl over 20 degrees. Again that's why i'd be interested how 18 degrees does vs 25+ to see if there is still power to be made when going out of the bowl.

I'm running 28.5 degrees with my "Crappy" DDP injectors. They work great for my setup.

Back