Why are pulling hitches so expensive?

Why does everyone want their hitch to be laser cut or something fancy? The way I see it is the downside to using a torch is having not as smooth of a cut and thats about it. I have a LOT of 1" plate here at the house and I plan on making atleast a hitch for me so what would the downside to torching be?

Nothing wrong with the trusty Torch! It'll work just fine. It's just messier and it takes lots of grinding to make it smooth

It cost me less than 10dollars to build my hitch just had to buy some welding rods. What I am gonna start doing those is charging people 5dollars to use it because everytime I pull 2-3 guys come up to use it. Pretty soon I'lol have 2-3 I can loan out to people!

It cost me less than 10dollars to build my hitch just had to buy some welding rods. What I am gonna start doing those is charging people 5dollars to use it because everytime I pull 2-3 guys come up to use it. Pretty soon I'lol have 2-3 I can loan out to people!

No sh!t, at O'Fallon I had 3-4 guys borrow my spare... Of course I let them use the loose clevis that is mainly for recovery work, them loosing hitch height down the track helps me win, LOL. Though I hear ya, after the sweat I have in my new hitch, no way I'm letting someone borrow it that I don't know.

Are you talking about this hitch?

http://www.hide-a-wayz.com/bf-hitch.htm

bf_hitch_500.jpg

that hitch looks well worth $400!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think $400.00 is NOT enough for a good hitch..... Last one we quoted was closer to a Grand Installed. How can you spend a Day designing, fabbing, and then installing for much less than $700.00, then you gotta pay for the steel.

Spending 1000$ dollars on a hitch for pulling is the dumbest thing i have ever heard.

So, if I was going to build my own hitch, would a 225 amp AC arc welder be sufficient? Seems to me you can do 1/2" single pass with that ran up all the way, don't see why you need a $1000 MIG when you can use a $300 Lincoln arc welder. Or am I missing something?

a $1,000 MIG wont weld 1" plate. A $2,000 MIG wont even do it.

You need a really big MIG to weld 1" plate.

as for your Arc welder, bevel the edges and make multiple passes and it will weld it just fine.

you dont need a laser, if you have a really steady hand with a torch and dynafile you can do the same thing, just more time involved and labor instensive.

Ill be making my hitch this week. Im just gonna use a Lunette eye for now, and make it adjustable and such.

So, if I was going to build my own hitch, would a 225 amp AC arc welder be sufficient? Seems to me you can do 1/2" single pass with that ran up all the way, don't see why you need a $1000 MIG when you can use a $300 Lincoln arc welder. Or am I missing something?

I use my Lincoln cracker box to weld 1" plate to 2" keystock all the time lol. Just bevel the edges and get it really clean before each pass. I wire brush or grind the heck out of it to get anything that would cause porosity out and then spray it down with brake cleaner to get it nice. I usually use a 3/16" 7013 (I think) welding rod...

I thought that maybe people were steering clear of a torch because of changing the metal's hardness perhaps? I have never had any issues yet... Looks like I have another project lol.

Durallymax and Muddin Dude, thanks for the info. It's not my welder yet, just something I'm keeping my eye on. I really appreciate the welding advice, I haven't had much practice since metal shop in high school. One question, what's a dynafile? I've never heard of that one. Thanks.

7018 rod works really good but the metal has to be really clean and its a little trickier to weld with. But It has excellant penatration.

Practice your welds on some scrap first until you like what you see.

A dynafile is a small electic file that is used to get into tight spaces. Since the hitch eye is only 3" it would be hard o get your typical 4" angle grinder in there. A Die grinder will do the trick though.

will put pics of my hitch later link is fobar:blahblah1:

Last edited:
7018 rod works really good but the metal has to be really clean and its a little trickier to weld with. But It has excellant penatration.

Practice your welds on some scrap first until you like what you see.

A dynafile is a small electic file that is used to get into tight spaces. Since the hitch eye is only 3" it would be hard o get your typical 4" angle grinder in there. A Die grinder will do the trick though.

Cool, thanks. I figure on doing a couple of projects first (like a cart for the welder) before I build a hitch to get some practice in.

If anybody close wants to build a hitch let me know. I have access to all three kinds of welders (tig, mig and stick) and I'm a certified welder. Just get your own material and we can make whatever you want.

If anybody close wants to build a hitch let me know. I have access to all three kinds of welders (tig, mig and stick) and I'm a certified welder. Just get your own material and we can make whatever you want.

How far in Minooka, IL from St. Louis? I have access to all the metal I need to build enough hitches for every puller on the forum, but my little 110v MIG just won't cut it(and thats with beveled edges and multiple passes). If your close, maybe we can get your welder introduced to my metal? LOL

Whats wrong with a using a clevis and normal ball hitch, thats what I use i would rather put the $400+ in my motor

Back