Yet another swap!! 2003 Excursion w/ 97 12v

I'll be heading through Rapid with my Fummins in August on my way to Wyoming for some Speedgoat hunting, like to see it in person if you're around.

kasey200 Can you please help me with wiring??? I am doing 12v conversion to 2002 f250. I don’t know witch connection go’s were. And what motor mounts did you use??

That would be fun... when is it? P.S. that truck in your avatar is exactly what i have in mind for my next build.

Last time i called them it was May 14th on a saturday. Yeah its a 59 F-250, the front of the frame is off a 73 C-20 so its got double A arm instead of the old straight axle, and its got a 14 bolt rear end with a locker in it. Been doin rust repair to it lately so not much new to report.

Thanks for opening this.

For those interested, I bought this truck a few months ago, although not from Kasey. I found it randomly on Craigslist, and worked out a deal with the guy. I started doing some research before I drove the 1200 miles to get it, and found that almost everything the guy had said was a lie. The only reason I still got the Excursion after being misled, is because I stumbled on this thread and found where Kasey had actually done the conversion.

To make a long story short, I limped it back at 42 mph max speed nearly all the way home due to transmission issues. It turned into 32 hour straight through trip to make it back home in time for work...I was an hour late but made it.

The Excursion had the 5R110 automatic transmission in it. I opted to pull it out and put in a ZF6 in it's place. I'll update the thread with details and pics later.

More to come...

--Eric

why did Kasey get rid of it? pretty sweet Ex, sorry about your trouble on the drive home tho!

I want a Fummins Ex with a 6speed, think it would be a sweet little family rig

why did Kasey get rid of it? pretty sweet Ex, sorry about your trouble on the drive home tho!

I want a Fummins Ex with a 6speed, think it would be a sweet little family rig

Not sure...I think he wanted to move on to another project. He sold it to a guy (Bill) I think who hung out on CumminsForum some. Bill told me it hazed too much and he was concerned about his small kids breathing that stuff? I don't know. Bill sold it to someone in TX, and then the cousin of the the guy in TX who lives in Wisconsin is who I got it from. It changed hands too many times for me to get a straight answer out of anyone. The guy I bought it from in Wisconsin lied to me about a handful of things, and so I don't trust his info much, unless it lines up with something I verified elsewhere.

At any rate, I plan on keeping it for the long haul. Hopefully it'll appreciate the mild TN winters.

I just got it together, and have put 260 miles on it now. The mechanical aspect is about done, other than having to make a custom linkage for the transfer case. I have it running, but have a ways to go to get the wiring done right.

A few pictures of the recent progress if anyone's interested. I'm having trouble getting pics to load right now, so I'll add more later. The previous lime green color had faded and gotten pretty chipped up somehow between when Kasey painted it and I got the truck. I decided to go with blue theme instead of the green.

I got a cab floor out of a '06 F-350 with a manual transmission. We cut out the transmission hump in the Excursion, and welded the one from the F-350 in.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Adapter plate from Destroked. I had one of the rear main seals from Mysteryman with the integrated spring, so I installed it while I was there.

ry%3D400

I had to clearance the 5" downpipe some to clear the larger bell on the ZF6.

ry%3D400

Boots not installed yet, but you get the idea. I put a manually shifted 271F transfer case in to replace the 237F electric shift.

ry%3D400

Made a few subtle mods to the appearance and cleaned things up some.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

I swapped the steering column for the manual version as well.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

--Eric

Looks minty. How much of a pain was it switching the column? I might do the same.

Looks minty. How much of a pain was it switching the column? I might do the same.

Not too bad. It took me about 5 hours, because I did some other wiring under the dash while I was in the process. It's pretty straight forward. The cheap Chilton's manual was actually pretty useful for this.

I did find that the Excursion ignition switch (not the key cylinder, but the electrical switch bolted to the bottom of the column) is different for the Excursion than for the F-350. Or at least it was in my case. Not a big deal to switch over...just put both switches in the "run" position and the little tit will line up in there. It'll be obvious when you look at it. Mine also had some kind of alarm electronics around the ignition switch area that wasn't on the F-350. It took a little messing with, but it all went back together okay. While you're there, tap into the small tan/white wire that goes to the OD off button. You can use this wire to wire into the clutch pedal position sensor (CPPS) to cancel the cruise control when the clutch is depressed.

I could do another one in probably 90 minutes after having been through it once. I removed the (PNRD321) indicator and painted it too.

--Eric

Last edited:
Love it, thats basically the same idea i have for my wifes next vehicle only her's will be kept stock lol.

Well, it made a 1,300 mile trip last weekend with no problems. There is a driveline vibration that starts around 58 mph and gets significant over 70-75 mph. I'll have to check angles and see what's going on.

I was pushed for time and running waaay faster than I should've been, and pulling a small trailer as well. Even so, I managed 15 mpg with two tires that kept going flat, and the hazing 370 injectors.

I also picked up a set of the discontinued forged aluminum Rickson 19.5 wheels. I still have some work to do on them with some Gord's polish, but they're coming along great. I'm picking up some 285/70-19.5 Yokohama TY303s today to get mounted up. Pics to come.

Back