Zinc additive

Hamilton Cams

ignorant
I know the low zinc oils have been of more concern lately due to more wear in the valvetrain of our diesel trucks. We decided enough is enough. Starting next week we will have available our new zinc additive. It is for use in any diesel vehicle, especially ones using flat tappet cams. I recommend this for anyone installing a new camshaft, and for anyone who has an engine that runs higher than factory RPM, has stiffer valve springs, or has a more agressive camshaft. It will be $12.99 per bottle.

Zach Hamilton

I know the low zinc oils have been of more concern lately due to more wear in the valvetrain of our diesel trucks. We decided enough is enough. Starting next week we will have available our new zinc additive. It is for use in any diesel vehicle, especially ones using flat tappet cams. I recommend this for anyone installing a new camshaft, and for anyone who has an engine that runs higher than factory RPM, has stiffer valve springs, or has a more agressive camshaft. It will be $12.99 per bottle.

Zach Hamilton

1 bottle per oil change?

Yes sir, One bottle per oil change. I looked at lower cost alternatives but the protection was not there.

Certainly this isn't your own special creation popping up out of nowhere. I can only assume you have been testing different products for some time.

I've been told that plain old fasshion STP oil additive is the best thing to use. How do you feel about that statement?

Stp like copenhagen is good in a pinch. It works o.k. for what it is when it is all that you have. It has a moderate level of zinc in it but the downside is that it is super thick. It changes the viscosity of the oil whereas the zinc additive we sell mainly treats the surface tension of the oil and keeps the viscosity the same. This is super important when breaking in a new engine. If the oil is too thick your rings will take too long to seat correctly. Also the zinc additive we sell is much more concentrated and will give you a much higher zinc parts per million count. We did not just cook it up. I have been working with a company that already makes zinc additives.

Zach

Also the zinc additive we sell is much more concentrated and will give you a much higher zinc parts per million count. Zach

If the engine oil doesn't have any zinc in it, what would that PPM count be after adding one bottle? Assuming 11 quarts of engine oil.

Paul

I will be hangin out with midwest truck parts and Valair. So, part of a booth.

As far as the ppm I am doing some testing as we speak with some different oils and different oil change intervals. What type of oil do you use, Paul?

Zach

I use Vavoline Premium Blue 15w-40.

I will pick some up at TS Zach.

Eric

A lot of people use newer low zinc oils, Gene. I wanted something that I could include in each cam package. I had a customer that put a monster grind in, crazy lift and duration, he ran it on low zinc oils and siezed the cam. Although most people will never have a problem, seeing as how they use very conservative grinds, I just wanted some insurance. I know you are associated with Amsoil. What blend and viscosity of amsoil do you recomend for all out diesels? Any Part #'s
thanks Gene.

put me down for a few bottles....need all the help I can get..

Well, I've been puzzling over this, The way I see it, the only reason to run the new oils, is to be emissions correct.
Adding additional zinc, defeats that purpose and then some.
So they are paying more for the oil, to take the zinc out, then paying more to add the zinc back in.

If you are running a custom cam, why one earth would you be running the new oils? To be emissions correct?

Has anyone asked themself that question?

At this point, I don't have a product recommendation for Amsoil, just trying to gather some data.
You offering zinc definitely gave the cam additive craze some desperately needed credibility.

As far as the ppm I am doing some testing as we speak with some different oils and different oil change intervals. What type of oil do you use, Paul?

Zach

I get Delo 400LE and filters for free. Adding ZDDP Plus I still come out ahead, and I know the oil has enough zinc. You had made the statement that one bottle was enough, so I assumed you knew what the ppm was.

Paul

Gene, some people don't have the higher zinc oils readily available to them. This is an easy way for a person to ensure that cam break in is a happy time, filled with lots of white tire smoke, not a darnit now I have to have my block line bored, buy a new cam, screw that Zach Hamilton.

By your craze comment it sounds like you think of zinc as snake oil. Do you not agree that there is a need for it?

To be honest with you Sledpuller, some people are not savvy as to oil requirements. I wish I did not have to carry another part number in stock. It gets really expensive. I have had people run regular oils on hot cams, with and without problems. As a manufacturer, I try to make installing a cam as easy and as worry free as possible. Many people will pay a little extra, if for no other reason than peace of mind. People like state farm have made a business on giving just that, peace of mind. You are completely correct in saying that if people will just run higher zinc oils that their problems will decrease. Do you have a part number for a marine or highway higher zinc oil?

On another note, lately I have seen a lot of rocker assemblies on stock rebuilds that have had a lot of premature wear. Before the low zinc oils came along I did not see quite as many.

Paul, I have not tested the Delo yet. If you would be willing to take a sample before adding it and after adding, I would be willing to send you some free bottles for your trouble.

Zach