Zinc additive

Before the zinc additive the iron was 252 and the copper was 262. Now the Iron is 108 and the copper is 6. I would say that it is getting better not worse, right?. Also how long was the truck run with coolant in the oil after the turbo swap. If it was run, I have seen lots of different lubrication problems start at this point. It would have been nice if you had gotten the two previous oil changes checked so that you had a bit more history to go by. Keep us informed on your info.

Zach

I started running John Deere Plus 50 in my pulling truck. It is still CI 4. Do you think there is still a need for me to run a zinc additive?

If you were running a stock pre-emission engine with pre-emission oil. I would say no. Even with a hot street truck you would probably be fine with just a CI-4 oil.

I don't know what kind of a setup you have as far as cam, lift , duration, spring pressure and the rpm's involved. These combined with turbo thrust bearing wear are the main places you will start to see wear on a high performance engine. If you are running an OE additive package on one of these engines to say 5000rpm with a high lift cam and high spring pressures on an engine designed for say 3500 max then yes I would use a zinc additive of some sort.

Does this help answer your question? If you want to know specifically, p.m. me with your lift spring pressure and rpm and I can help you further.

Zach

Before the zinc additive the iron was 252 and the copper was 262. Now the Iron is 108 and the copper is 6. I would say that it is getting better not worse, right?. Also how long was the truck run with coolant in the oil after the turbo swap. If it was run, I have seen lots of different lubrication problems start at this point. It would have been nice if you had gotten the two previous oil changes checked so that you had a bit more history to go by. Keep us informed on your info.

Zach

The first sample is a 15,000 mile old oil change.. the next samples were always changed and new fresh oil.. So, if I go another 10K on my last change, I would expect 300 for iron.

if I'm not mistaken, I never ran the motor when I got the coolant in the drain tube... I don't recall 100%. And it was only a few oz. some of what was in the heater core tube (and I've fix that, I don't need to disconnect it to swap turbo stuff).

I found this on another site. I know it's not all diesel oil but I thought it would help
maxima ultra 4 10w40 - 2215ppm
maxima ultra 4 15w50 - 2173ppm
motorcraft super duty diesel 15w40 - 1334ppm
chevron delo 400 le 15w40 - 1230ppm
supertech 15w40 - 1226ppm
mobil 1300 delvac 15w40 - 1031ppm
shell rotella t 15w40 - 1030ppm

Zach, Does this go along with what you have found? Does your stuff add about 500ppm or did I read that right a few pages back on one of the oil samples

Sam

It can add a little more or less. Some of the cummins have a 10 qt system some have larger. In the smaller systems it will add more, larger systems are over 500 ppm up on treatment. After time or miles rather, the ppm lowers slightly. This is another good reason to change your oil. Even with the the best oils over time, zinc and phosphorous some of the best high pressure additives, break down. If it were not for DPF's they would still be in use protecting your engine. It is possible to gain 700ppm upon treatment with one bottle of our zinc additive. I recommend two bottles per oil change in engines over 5000rpms not running roller tappets.

Zach

I would not use any CJ oil. There's plenty of CI oil to choose from and the better CI-4 oil has a TBN of 12 and more than 1400 ppm zinc. I recently bought 12 cases of Fina Cappa DHD for $6.45 gal. This is some of the good stuff that's sold internationally. European oil has some of the highest levels of additives. I know where a pallet of Guardall QLT is for $10 gal. also has a TBN of 12 and high levels of zinc znd phosphorous. I was told by a Fina rep that Fina supplies the New Holland Mastergold HSP oil and it's the same stuff as Cappa DHD. CI oil is now considered obsolete and isn't licenced by API anymore so CI-4 could mean anything. Be carefull.
Billy