Zinc additive

Jason, I noticed that your silicon is WAY up this sample, isn't that usually an indication of sucking dust or sand through the intake? that could be the reason for your increased wear metals (almost all of them are higher this sample), IIRC silicon is an abrasive.

Jason, I noticed that your silicon is WAY up this sample, isn't that usually an indication of sucking dust or sand through the intake? that could be the reason for your increased wear metals (almost all of them are higher this sample), IIRC silicon is an abrasive.

Yeah, I noticed that too. However, the AFE tube is clean when I just pulled the turbo on monday.

It has been very dusty around here recently. the pre-filter was filled with crap and dirt. haven't had more then a few drops of rain all May (record)

I don't think that a material that is heavy on silicon (sand) would stick to the inside of the tube very much unless you had a little oil sitting on the inside of the tube. as much as I love my AFE filters I'm not totally convinced that they do that great of a job at stopping very fine sand/silt

Zach I got my ZDDP in from you the other day. I noticed its ZDDPLUS. Is it just off the shelf ZDDPLUS or is it a formulation you had created?

I informed them of the problems we were facing with our cummins engines and that is the formulation they came up with. It has high levels of zinc and phosphorous better suited for large capacity sumps.

Zach

Staveley Services Fluid Analysis
Shell Rotella T 15-40 cj4 zinc1243,1097,1134ppm(1st sample after using delo)
Royal Purple 15-40 zinc1560ppm
Amsoil AME15-40 zinc1403,1336,1346,1315ppm
Valvoline Premium Blue 15-40 cj4 zinc 1295ppm(virgin)
Samples are in order as changed and each number is a different oil change. I quit taking samples when I changed to the Valvoline. I was having soot problems so I took off my bypass and just started changing my oil more often.

wow i dont get what any of these numbers mean. n which one supposed to look better?

Zach how much PPM would the bottle of ZDDPlus add to a change? Or any of the othe ZDDP containing addivitives? STP, Lucas Break-in, etc...?

Good info in this thread!

how many ppms of zinc is good ... i mean theres all these numbers being thrown around about the lack of zinc but how much is needed?

Zach im gonna give Ryan a call tomorrow and order a couple bottles of your additive.. I just did an oil change about 1,000 miles ago using Amsoils Synthetic 15-40 and ill get a before an after.. And i recently installed a set of your springs...

97-dtec I know all of the numbers can sound like greek. When running a flat tappet cam, in a performance application I look for a minimum of 1500ppm zinc, and a minimum of 1300 ppm phosphorous. 1900-2000ppm zinc and 1500-1700 phos. is ideal when run with a high lift cam at high rpm. If you will look at the post earlier in this thread from Jason Czerak, you can see what difference my zinc additive made. Prior to the additive he had approximately 1390ppm zinc and 1150 ppm phos. after the levels were boosted to 1900ppm zinc and 1619ppm phos.

As far as how much do the other additives add, I will post up a spreadsheet containing all of that info.

Zach Hamilton

I've re-sampled my sample there and we'll know in a week how it did after almost 5000 miles on the oil.

Hey guys i talked to zach this morning and hes sending a bottle of his additive but i wasnt sure which amsoil i was running so i ran down to my shop to see... I was running the Amsoil 5w-40 premium API CJ-4 for the winter and after i installed my springs i switched too Amsoil 15w-40 Premium Diesel & Marine oil.. My question is should i still run the additive?? I have tried giving him a call back and his pm is full..

I would say that it wouldn't hurt to run it if you have a performance cam and heavy springs. If you just have heavier springs, you should be ok with just the marine amsoil.

jason- zinc and phosphorous levels drop the more miles you put on a truck. It will be interesting to see how much they have dropped after almost 5000 miles. Keep us posted.

Zach

Zach, I dont know if youve tested both, but its there a difference in the oils between the Amsoil Heavy-Duty Diesel and Marine Motor Oil and the pre CJ-4 Amsoil, regular Diesel oil, just there CI-4 stuff, I can get both?

I am not for sure on the exact differences. Get with one of the amsoil distributors on the boards and see if they have some pre-CJ oil analysis or some older brochures. I would think that pre cj oil, not having a lot of regulation by the government would be the same, or very similar to marine oil seeing as how it is not heavily regulated. Gene, can you enlighten us?

Zach

got my results back: to lazy to photoshop out the sensitive stuff so here's what we got

the last sample in this thread is the same oil + 2 quarts ( due to losing 2 quarts on a leaky bypass line........ so the results are a little off. the new oil was in just for a few days.)

So 3700 miles on the sample. 2200 miles later from the first sample.

PHOSPHOROUS 1603
zinc 1810
iron ware is still high! 115. I'm wondering if the new oil deluted it, but it's not that much of a slower pace then before.

I'm curious if I'm too late with the zinc for the stock cam and that's the main reason for some of the issues I've been having

soot is a bit lower at .9 vs 1.5.. again, 2 quarts of added oil however I've been running "less smokey" tunes as far as I can tell.

I've changed the oil this time around and will sample more frequently.

New oil report

Still have high iron wear. it's getting worse. motor still runs good. still pointing at the springs starting the cam wear.

Not sure where the silicon is coming from. I've changed air filters. I believe I did the change before the 2500 mile trip from MN to MI. I need to check the dates on that cuz I changed the oil before that trip for sure..

soot levels are "typical"

attachment.php

Attachments

• oil.jpg
    oil.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 69