buying tires/ whats the best for hooking

i am geared for a 35 inch tire
i was running a bfg all terrain (bran new) they would hook very well on most tracks(sandy tracks where hit and miss)
i am running the trxus sts 35 inch radial (bran new) the truck seams to love them so far. They seem to hook alot harder(better) then the bfg's did.
but it all depends on hp/tq and wheel speed. I carry alot of wheel speed$.02

Any ideas on which size would work best for me right now... the truck has stock gears, 3.55. and its a 6 speed truck. with my 35/12.5/17 mastercraft courser c/t's I could leave the line in 4th and carry good tire speed all the way. Maybe I should be buying 35's and not 33's?

I think he means your going awfully tall for 3:55's! I know guys running 5:13's with 35's and usually 33's with 4:88's.

I got ya. Im new to all of this stuff and trying to learn!!

Sounds like I should stick to my plan with the 33's. IDK... seems like I turned the 35's pretty easy tho in 4 low. And no im turning another at least 1k down the track after I get moving. . . . I guess this is part of the test and tune hahaha

I got ya. Im new to all of this stuff and trying to learn!!

Sounds like I should stick to my plan with the 33's. IDK... seems like I turned the 35's pretty easy tho in 4 low. And no im turning another at least 1k down the track after I get moving. . . . I guess this is part of the test and tune hahaha

I can't access it on my I phone or I pad but there's a final drive calculator on the sticky at the top of the page. There's different charts to see what works the best under optimum conditions.

What tires does the FPP 2.6" points champion for 2012 run? Or the year before that, or the year before that...

Exactly. Back in the dinosaur age, they won me an FPP championship as well...

Lee, sorry, you're just plain....um.....wrong.

I will say this, based on which size you choose and how your truck is set up, I have seen people do very poorly with both the STS and the BFG, but the pullers just had no idea what they were doing.

So I went ahead and checked that out. With my 3.54 or 3.55 (whichever it is) and 33's turning somewhere from 4k to 4200 rpm, my final drive in 4th gear low is, 13.38 and approx. 30mph.

In 3rd gear I would end up with final drive at 19.69 with 21 mph tire speed.

With 4.88 gears, 4th gear is aproximatley my 3rd gear with 3.55's

So can anybody tell me what this means hahahahah I know I sound dumb but I cant learn without asking! What gears are u all using? or is it top secret? haha thanks

I will say this, based on which size you choose and how your truck is set up, I have seen people do very poorly with both the STS and the BFG, but the pullers just had no idea what they were doing.

Can you write one of those versions of Sled Pulling for Dummies! I'll buy a copy!:hehe:

Sure thing, pro. I'll stick to my plan for cheap 33" bfg retreads and 4.88 gears with a dual on the outside if more traction is needed.

Can you write one of those versions of Sled Pulling for Dummies! I'll buy a copy!:hehe:

Isn't there some stupid saying that goes something like "it's not about the destination, but the journey that got you there." I hate that saying LOL

Sure thing, pro. I'll stick to my plan for cheap 33" bfg retreads and 4.88 gears with a dual on the outside if more traction is needed.

The cost on the STS has gotten so ridiculous that BFGs and BFG knockoffs sure look attractive.

Yeah, definitely not in my budget. Just don't run them retred knock offs on the road and expect no problems.

Last edited:
My truck had 4.10s and 33s(bfg km2s) i.could get it out in 4th,but i had to walk the clutch way out to keep my turbo up....when i jumped too 35s(bfg all terrain) i could not get out with 4th,had to use 3rd and walk the clutch way out....this was a 4.10 gear thow and on my truck setup...my experience.:bang aftor all that i got an attutude with my truck and geared it up for a 35

My truck had 4.10s and 33s(bfg km2s) i.could get it out in 4th,but i had to walk the clutch way out to keep my turbo up....when i jumped too 35s(bfg all terrain) i could not get out with 4th,had to use 3rd and walk the clutch way out....this was a 4.10 gear thow and on my truck setup...my experience.:bang aftor all that i got an attutude with my truck and geared it up for a 35

I'm sure you meant that you geared it down for 35s. The bigger the ratio number, the slower the gearing.

Yes sir..I went down in gear ..(gear up is just the way i talk.) Sorry for that, I would say borrow some 35s from a friend and try them( cheaper then buying them) its about you and your truck setup and driving style. With 3rd gear on 33s and 4.10s enuff wheel speed to get out about 270-285 in 2.6 .with 35s-the clutch was smoking and i was out of power.. he said he has a 3.55? I would stay 33s or gear it for 35s if ya like the 35 look

Last edited:
I've been doing a little searching and it sounds like its going to be costly to switch to 4.88's. I guess I will need different carriers and I will have to address the spider gears? Possibly not going to take the torque very long?

How about axles? Will stock cut it? and does anyone have a general idea of what the swap would cost me?

This thread is kind of off topic now but I'm going to keep moving along hahaha

Back