Sidewinder Type D Update thread.

1QuickDiesel said:
I am willing to bet that he (Bill Fletcher) will be one of the first in the 7's, if not the first.
That's why I ask him every time I see him when he will get that dang thing out! I have no doubt that he can and will.

PeterT

I was wondering when you were going to answer the questions that have been asked of you and GBE? I have spoken to a person involved in the development of the Duramax program at GBE and the numbers I have been given are as follows:

Garrett $50,000.00 and free turbo's and parts for the program. Mind you these are turbo's the public cannot buy!
Bosch $230,000.00 with all free parts needed and free engineering help
GM No cash but free engines and reimbursement for 2 Duramax trucks GBE purchased

With all this how can you claim NO factory support

While the truck is running great and going fast with the support you've been given from the factory people I would suspect it should. Duramax performance has come a long way in the past few years and all the parts to go fast are on the market today to do it. Is GBE willing to accept the challenge from the Dr. P team or not?

Diesel Tech said:
PeterT

I was wondering when you were going to answer the questions that have been asked of you and GBE? I have spoken to a person involved in the development of the Duramax program at GBE and the numbers I have been given are as follows:

Garrett $50,000.00 and free turbo's and parts for the program. Mind you these are turbo's the public cannot buy!
GM No cash but free engines and reimbursement for 2 Duramax trucks GBE purchased

While the truck is running great and going fast with the support you've been given from the factory people I would suspect it should. Duramax performance has come a long way in the past few years and all the parts to go fast are on the market today to do it. Is GBE willing to accept the challenge from the Dr. P team or not?

Why don't you grow a pair and race the Banks truck? You have a very similiar truck, and are local.

Sounds like you are jealous that Bosch won't return your phone calls, yet right down the street at Banks, they have Bosch guys having lunch with Gail in the Dyno Room.

But from what I hear, Bosch don't have no magic tables either, and are stuck with just fuel, air, and timing like the rest of us. So you are better off without them.

Diesel Tech said:
PeterT

------------------------------------
Diesel Tech:

Thanks for the post. Like you, I had heard about the same amounts on those sponsorships, yet the "upper management" @ GBE kind of denies that exists.
I had actually heard the amount from Bosch was closer to $250,000. One thing about it, with that kind of money and technical assistance if you can't build a drag race truck that will run something is seriously wrong!! And as some of the other CompD Members already pointed out how much of that GBE "technology" do you think will actually be passed on to their customers??
My guess is not much!!

---------
John_P

Damn......................

That's some nice racefund coin right there.......

McRat said:
You have a very similiar truck, and are local.

Well if you call a full size EC 2500HD 2wd truck similar to a 7/8 scale S-10 they might be similar, but since you claim to know how to measure things accurately you should already know they are not event close to the same. When we are able to finish our truck it will be at the track until then your still in the dark.

*bdh* :blahblah1: :poke:

I'm very bored with this whole soap opera right now.
I think that GBE has **** in their own nest this weekend. Greg may not have been loved by everyone in the diesel community but at least he was approachable and "real" to the people. If GBE loses Greg then they've lost that little push this world.
This Peter guy is selectively responding to posts and that irritates me. And when he does respond to the aggresive posts I get the feeling that he is very carefully choosing what he says without truly answering the questions put to him.

crewgirl said:
*bdh* :blahblah1: :poke:

I'm very bored with this whole soap opera right now.
I think that GBE has **** in their own nest this weekend. Greg may not have been loved by everyone in the diesel community but at least he was approachable and "real" to the people. If GBE loses Greg then they've lost that little push this world.
This Peter guy is selectively responding to posts and that irritates me. And when he does respond to the aggresive posts I get the feeling that he is very carefully choosing what he says without truly answering the questions put to him.
Of course, that is the banks way. It's like the people that posted the questions that just about EVERYONE is asking don't even show up on Peter's screen.

The thread title is about their Type D Race truck, I believe Peter provided a alternative source for contact.....

JasonCzerak said:
you should read the excused as to why the "rails are faster" on their website.

Never mind the fact that a powerstoke now holds the fastest land speed record, Banks can't be bothered to update their pages to at least say "At between 2003 and 2007 we held the land speed records for a diesel truck, now this ford does, congrats!"

I wonder at what point you can call slander or false advertising when something like the land speed record you "HAD" is broken and you fail to changes your ever so dynamic marking material called your website?

JasonCzerak,
The following is a press release regarding the subject that you brought up regarding Bonneville and land speed records:

Azusa, Calif. (August 30, 2007) - - The rumors of Gale Banks’ demise have been greatly exaggerated.
“A recent press release claiming that the Spal Rocket Ranger is now ‘the World’s Fastest Diesel Pickup’, is just is not true,” said Gale Banks, President of Gale Banks Engineering. “While the guys from Spal have blown up a few engines chasing our record since we set the National, International, and World records in 2002, they’ve come close, but no cigar.”
“They have the National record, finally, at 215.091 but, the SCTA-BNI International and FIA (the acknowledged World Record sanctioning body for motorsports, the Federation International de l’Automobile) World’s record are still held by our ‘Banks Sidewinder Dakota’ at 217.301,” Banks explained. “And know this,” he went on. “setting a World’s record is more than one-way speed. To claim such a record, you must make runs in two directions over the surveyed mile within 60 minutes and do so under close FIA supervision and scrutiny.”
Banks continued, “We first set the pickup truck World record with the GMC/Banks Syclone in 1989 at 194.770 miles per hour and then upped it to 204.145 in 1991. That record stood for a decade.”
“In 2002 we came back to the salt flats with a street-driven, Cummins-powered Dodge Dakota called ‘The Sidewinder’ and bumped the FIA World record to 217.306 miles per hour. Unlike the Spal truck ours is no trailer queen, it actually tows a trailer! In fact it ran smoke-free and averaged 23.6 miles per gallon when it participated in the 2005 Hot Rod Magazine Power Tour!”
“The Banks Sidewinder is the official and only ‘World’s Fastest Pickup Truck’ (and that’s certified by the FIA). The Spal guys have mad it interesting, sounds like I might need to dust off the Sidewinder and get salty.”
“The bragging rights over ‘fastest’ might sometimes be a blur at 200+ miles per hour, but the truth is not. That’s why FIA World Records are so important, and that’s why they’re so important to keep straight.”

The world record is 217.306 MPH, its faster and its still in Azusa, CA. The race shop crew at Banks are building a new CR Cummins for the Dakota. See you at the Salt.

If you have never seen a FiA Record certificate, there is one attached. Here is a link to the FiA record sheet as well: http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.nsf/A23E8299092D5D5CC12572FB0055939F/$FILE/Records_Cat_B.pdf?Openelement

Attachments

• BONNEVILLE-CERT11.jpg
    BONNEVILLE-CERT11.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 17
The rumors of Gale Banks’ demise have been greatly exaggerated
Wow! The Banks boys have come out swinging. The smoke shop boys better pull their britches up and get ready to rumble. This is great stuff!

Peter, if you really want to win the hearts & minds then you and Banks need to step up to the plate and contact Timbeaux38 about becoming a site sponsor. You've made a good start so don't blow it now by mooching of Comp D for free advertising. Step it up!

Last edited:
duke1n said:
Wow! The Banks boys have come out swinging. The smoke shop boys better pull their britches up and get ready to rumble. This is great stuff!

Peter, if you really want to win the hearts & minds then you and Banks need to step up to the plate and contact Timbeaux38 about becoming a site sponser. You've made a good start so don't blow it now by mooching of Comp D for free advertising. Step it up!
Well I'll be damned Dukie.....That's about the most intelligent statement I've read from you in a while......

Competition Diesel is THE place to be....:rockwoot:

Indeed Dually... most of the anti Banks posters would have trouble tying their shoes in the dark. On the other hand, if you piss off the wrong people by taking advantage of Comp D and it's management, pontificating about your company and products without any compensation to the people who spend their time and money to make such a platform available to you, life and your reputation can get ugly in a hurry. Right now Peter is riding that thin line. Knowing that he is no dummy, I think he already understands that Comp D is chalked full of major players and influence and will do the right thing for Banks and Comp D.

duke1n said:
Indeed Dually... most of the anti Banks posters would have trouble tying their shoes in the dark. On the other hand, if you piss off the wrong people by taking advantage of Comp D and it's management, pontificating about your company and products without any compensation to the people who spend their time and money to make such a platform available to you, life and your reputation can get ugly in a hurry. Right now Peter is riding that thin line. Knowing that he is no dummy, I think he already understands that Comp D is chalked full of major players and influence and will do the right thing for Banks and Comp D.
Don't exaggerate now, COMP D is about .01 % of the diesel market.
I am actually quite surprised that Banks even took the time to post here.

Yes, but it is full of major players such as yourself and DI to name a few, who's influence reaches far beyond the bounds of Comp D. Why is it that practically everyone on this site as well as every other diesel enthusiest site, has a negative image of Banks? The internet is a powerful thing. Fail to realize that at your own and your company's own risk. Banks could substantially alter their image in a positive fashion by influencing those that are respected in the diesel enthusiest world such as yourself and most others on Comp D. This is where the cool kids are at and you know that lol!

duke1n said:
Yes, but it is full of major players such as yourself and DI to name a few, who's influence reaches far beyond the bounds of Comp D. Why is it that practically everyone on this site as well as every other diesel enthusiest site, has a negative image of Banks? The internet is a powerful thing. Fail to realize that at your own and your company's own risk. Banks could substantially alter their image in a positive fashion by influencing those that are respected in the diesel enthusiest world such as yourself and most others on Comp D. This is where the cool kids are at and you know that lol!
Yes, you are correct but do you actually think that any serious performance minded individual would buy a Banks product solely on the last couple of days post?????

Me thinks your giving way more credit than where credit is due!!!!
Every racer on this board earned their right to post with their hard earned dollars and late night builds just to make it to the next race.

Maybe David and you're right about the racers on this board and their right to post. It's also true that most of you guys who do this for a living and promote your products, also help Comp D survive by sponsoring this site. It's a scratch my back I scratch your back sort of deal. Banks is a multi-million dollar operation and their relationship to Comp D can be beneficial for both Banks and Comp D if it is handled in an equitable fashion. I enjoy the trash talk and adding more players to the kettle. I also want Tim and Phil to receive as much help as possible to make this forum available to all of us. Whether or not Banks actually brings products to the market aimed at the hardcore diesel enthusiast found on Comp D is entirely up to them. Their no smoke mantra is the way of the future if this hobby is to survive. Like it or not we all KNOW it's a fact.

Me thinks Dukie is workin on some banning amnesty points LOL LOL LOL LOL

But he speaketh the truth....:rockwoot: :rockwoot: :rockwoot: :rockwoot: :rockwoot:

duke1n said:
Maybe David and you're right about the racers on this board and their right to post. It's also true that most of you guys who do this for a living and promote your products, also help Comp D survive by sponsoring this site. It's a scratch my back I scratch your back sort of deal. Banks is a multi-million dollar operation and their relationship to Comp D can be beneficial for both Banks and Comp D if it is handled in an equitable fashion. I enjoy the trash talk and adding more players to the kettle. I also want Tim and Phil to receive as much help as possible to make this forum available to all of us. Whether or not Banks actually brings products to the market aimed at the hardcore diesel enthusiast found on Comp D is entirely up to them. Their no smoke mantra is the way of the future if this hobby is to survive. Like it or not we all KNOW it's a fact.

Did you take comp's spot on the team banks roster?

Smoke only matters on the street, and thats where banks #1 market is, street vehicles.

On the track or sled pull, smoke is perfectly fine and that will not ever change. Unless it's a big gasser only event, but even still as time goes on the diesels will be more and more welcomed into drag racing events more freely. That is only brecause people want to see a diesel truck race, as they could probably care less if there is less smoke or not.

Some people hate the smell of racing fuel, but that dont mean it going to vanish from the track.

As more folks realize that less smoke is usally more power, smoke will decrease as well. Knowledge is power in this case, educating the diesel public on how to better make power will minimize smoke and increase reliability. IMO

Last edited:
Back