Sidewinder Type D Update thread.

Michael said:
Did Banks get NHRA to change the Super-Gas rules? Nitrous has been illegal in S/G as long as I remember (and I started racing that class in 1988). He has a letter shown on their website, but just a vague listing of which changes have been approved.
I just checked my 2007 NHRA rulebook and the online version of the 2007 rule updates, and it still lists Nitrous Oxide as being prohibited in all Super-category classes.

Was Banks legal to run the class they ran in Vegas? Did NHRA change the rules for just one race? I may have to bug the NHRA Division Director down there to confirm (I'm sure I won't get a response until next week, as he is typically swamped during a national event).

The way I understood it 20 years ago, the reason for the nitrous ban was so that a competitor could not use it for a sudden burst of speed at the top end of the track, figuring it was an unfair advantage if someone was "fender racing" to avoid going under the index. For those who are unfamiliar with this type of racing, the first one to the finish line WITHOUT running quicker than the index (9.90 for Super Gas at sea level) wins. The basic strategy is to cut the best reaction time, then win by as little as possible. I achieved the same thing legally by setting up a car which could run low 9's in the ¼-mile, with a throttle stop electrically activated in high gear. I could override the throttle stop, and it made as much of a jump as a major nitrous system.

In recent years, most S/G competitors have set up cars which can run low 8's or even mid 7's, then have the throttle stop set up on a timer (launch at full throttle but immediately shut down after the tires break the beams), then "re-launch" so that they can run a 9.90 at a very high speed (up to 180 mph). This has made the original nitrous issue something of a moot point. IMHO it has also made the class really boring to watch, as few cars even wheelstand anymore. For some reason, people used to like to see my car do a "poor-man's pro-stock" wheels up launch, and it didn't matter to them that I only ran the top end at 126 mph due to the throttle stop.

I would prefer that NHRA allow nitrous in Super-category racing, at least for diesels. This would provide a class for many fast diesels to run at national and divisional events. Unfortunately it may be tough to get the reaction time quick enough on a big diesel truck to be competitive, but at least we would get some exposure out there!

Regards,
Michael Pliska, Super-Gas racer and diesel bracket racer

Last edited:
Duke = Arse kisser......... Do we really want Banks here? Do we? I don't care to to see Comp wrhoredd out to Banks. Banks has the TECH but they don't have customer service. You will never get what you want from them, only what they 'offer' you. I'd rather give David Lott 100 bucks for advise than see Banks here. A pompous company attitude that has disdain for ANY of their competitiors is not what enthusiast wants to see.

Why promote a company that isn't in touch with enthusiasts?

Some Pics

Found these pix on a drag racing site. Just thought I'd share. Both are sweet lookin' trucks.

Attachments

• LVMS_ACDelcoNats_07 156.jpg
    LVMS_ACDelcoNats_07 156.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 87
  • LVMS_ACDelcoNats_07 157.jpg
    LVMS_ACDelcoNats_07 157.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 89
  • LVMS_ACDelcoNats_07 207.jpg
    LVMS_ACDelcoNats_07 207.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 83
  • LVMS_ACDelcoNats_07 208.jpg
    LVMS_ACDelcoNats_07 208.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 64
RacinDuallie said:
Micheal- the adjusted rule should be in the new 2008 rulebook

IIRC, that's what they said in 2007. Or am I wrong?

Turbo diesels are at a huge disadvantage against the NA Delay Box racers.

That is the only reason they allowed them in. Kinda like a sideshow to point at and laugh. The Bearded Lady of NHRA Drag Racing.

I would like to run the NHRA 10.90 index class next year just once. Not to win, but to whup a gasser trailer queen to the finish on their own turf.

Last edited:
McRat said:
IIRC, that's what they said in 2007. Or am I wrong?

It was set late in 2006; well after the 2007 rule books had been printed out and were already starting to distribute........

We'll see what the 2008 rule book states when they are distributed.......

Myself and a several others recieved an official notification on the passing of the nitrous rule.....

RacinDuallie said:
It was set late in 2006; well after the 2007 rule books had been printed out and were already starting to distribute........

We'll see what the 2008 rule book states when they are distributed.......

Myself and a several others recieved an official notification on the passing of the nitrous rule.....

So I heard.

No addedenum, no statement on their site, and when I called, they had no idea what was up.

Maybe it will show on the 2008 rulebook, maybe it won't.

My guess is that it was allowed until anyone protested it. Since no diesel was in contention for points, and since protests are done after races (in most orgs) it became a non-issue, rule or not.

Everyone points at that and says The NHRA Wants Diesel Racers!!!

And I look at that and realize that folk can convince themselves of nearly anything.

The #1 thing that shuts down dragstrips is noise abatement. The NHRA is too infatuated with the EarBleed racers to realize that diesels might be the answer.

Burner said:
Damm good point.

Yes, it bites that tracks are being closed down every year due to noise.

The NHRA refuses to enforce noise restrictions.

Bikes, diesels, and late model FI cars are all relatively quiet.

But they will sacrifice us all so that someone with a 500rwhp BBC can make 510rwhp by throwing their mufflers in the trash.

The NHRA's home track is in Pomona, California. We cannot run diesel pickups there due to noise.

I've never heard a Diesel that could come close to an un-corked gasser....ever.

LMAO at some of you. Who's a$$ am I kissing Burner? I simply pointed out that Banks should step up and kick some $$ into Tim and Phil's pockets if they want to promote their products on Comp D. Brilliant thinking Burner and 1quickdiesel whoever you are. Speaking of smoke and street vs competition events... do ya really think that the EPA can't shut down your favorite hillbilly olympic county sled pull? I bet I could pick up the phone tomorrow and start bringing heat down on those events in a matter of days. Wanna try it? Tell me where you live and the next local event and I bet I can invite people that will not see things the way you do. It's just a matter of time homies. Smoke ain't where it's at. Believe that or swim up stream and get left behind.

The only ones that propagate are the ones that swim up stream......

You (w)hore..... Don't you think it would have been better for Banks to show up at a few events first, not just a time or two?

Yeah, yeah.... personal foul, personal attack.

.........you (W)hore. :hehe:

I'm a (w)hore and you're an idiot... fair trade lol

I don't give a chit about Banks. They are out to make money just like everyone else. The fact that they probably gross more than all other diesel performance companies combined, just means they are better equipped to help folks like Tim and Phil keep Comp D afloat. Jealousy is a biatch I guess. I really don't care when the small minds fret over Banks.

Dude, go find someone your own size to match wits with. You offer nothing...

Hey, we are both offering our opinions. Does it matter? Banks will make their choice and we won't have a dwaym thing to do with it. You took the line and ran with it, got my point exactly.

PeterT said:
JasonCzerak,
The following is a press release regarding the subject that you brought up regarding Bonneville and land speed records:

Azusa, Calif. (August 30, 2007) - - The rumors of Gale Banks’ demise have been greatly exaggerated.
“A recent press release claiming that the Spal Rocket Ranger is now ‘the World’s Fastest Diesel Pickup’, is just is not true,” said Gale Banks, President of Gale Banks Engineering. “While the guys from Spal have blown up a few engines chasing our record since we set the National, International, and World records in 2002, they’ve come close, but no cigar.”
“They have the National record, finally, at 215.091 but, the SCTA-BNI International and FIA (the acknowledged World Record sanctioning body for motorsports, the Federation International de l’Automobile) World’s record are still held by our ‘Banks Sidewinder Dakota’ at 217.301,” Banks explained. “And know this,” he went on. “setting a World’s record is more than one-way speed. To claim such a record, you must make runs in two directions over the surveyed mile within 60 minutes and do so under close FIA supervision and scrutiny.”
Banks continued, “We first set the pickup truck World record with the GMC/Banks Syclone in 1989 at 194.770 miles per hour and then upped it to 204.145 in 1991. That record stood for a decade.”
“In 2002 we came back to the salt flats with a street-driven, Cummins-powered Dodge Dakota called ‘The Sidewinder’ and bumped the FIA World record to 217.306 miles per hour. Unlike the Spal truck ours is no trailer queen, it actually tows a trailer! In fact it ran smoke-free and averaged 23.6 miles per gallon when it participated in the 2005 Hot Rod Magazine Power Tour!”
“The Banks Sidewinder is the official and only ‘World’s Fastest Pickup Truck’ (and that’s certified by the FIA). The Spal guys have mad it interesting, sounds like I might need to dust off the Sidewinder and get salty.”
“The bragging rights over ‘fastest’ might sometimes be a blur at 200+ miles per hour, but the truth is not. That’s why FIA World Records are so important, and that’s why they’re so important to keep straight.”

The world record is 217.306 MPH, its faster and its still in Azusa, CA. The race shop crew at Banks are building a new CR Cummins for the Dakota. See you at the Salt.

If you have never seen a FiA Record certificate, there is one attached. Here is a link to the FiA record sheet as well: http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.nsf/A23E8299092D5D5CC12572FB0055939F/$FILE/Records_Cat_B.pdf?Openelement

Cool fine, that's all dandy and all. But it's a 6.0 ford, that right there should be something to celebrate that is made one pass and didn't puke on the salt.:)

So, what about there with MADDOG and the claims as it (sidewinder) was the fastest truck at the track that specific day you guys took it to the drag strip?

This land speed truck of yours ran low 12's and MADDOG ran a high 11, yet there is still text on your site claiming otherwise.

Last edited:
Back