Spool Aid.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
How did it do?

Well.........

Right off the bat....the engine was actually quieter than before.

Driving down the road...the stock turbo will spool almost immediately with just a simple tap of the acceleration pedal. Way less smoke than before. Throttle response is about 3 times quicker than before. Get about 35psi very quickly. Can't wait to either add a larger turbo or go with a stock over a 400 series compound.

The EGT's are about 200° cooler and it has a slower climb verses before where it was instant hot in conjunction with the boost gauge. It will cool almost instantly verses a slow decline as before.

Now with the Smarty and EZ stack...wow!! the thing is a different machine. It will not go over 1400° even holding in the skinny peddle on all stock mechanics. Turbo at 35psi. Smarty on level 7 Revo, TQ1, RP 0, TM 4. The EZ I had it set to 1. I will increase them when I start to increase my turbo/injectors or twin setup.

Mike and Kevin are great guys! They took the time to make sure that every thing was right. This setup is a definite benefit to any stocker or mild to wild setup as it helps the performance with such a simple install. I am glad I didn't wast some $$ on an CAI before I got this deal.

I will have to wait and do some calculations on the mpg and will post back later to see if that increases or stays the same. May wait for about 2 tanks before I post the results. I will hand calculate.

All in all... I am very pleased with it as it feels like a whole new truck again, Thanks Mike and Kevin!!!

how long was the install? how did you guys get the pipes into the head? BFH?

any more pics? that show up

None of the pics are showing up, as the waying goes, worthless without pics . .

CD

This is a pic of the koolaid going into #1. They moved the #1 feed up due the hardware I had in the way of the normal configuration.

d02e4867-6c08-5b80.jpg

Mocked up without clamps yet.
d02e4867-6dae-bc26.jpg

Next this is going to #6, taken from the wheel well.

d02e4867-6cbe-b6ca.jpg

d02e4867-6d60-ffbf.jpg

Main from the intercooler.

d02e4867-6ce7-797d.jpg

how long was the install? how did you guys get the pipes into the head? BFH?

any more pics? that show up

Since they had to move my #1 feed up the main it took a little longer than usual. All in all it took about 1.5-2hrs to start from scratch as there was a little more to build on my setup. With their already setup kits, it would have been less than 1hr to install in my opinion.

The pipes where nicely cleaned and had a good bead on the hose install portion. Yes it only needed a small sledge to get the pipes seated. They did put some locktite sealant meant for this type of install. I tried to wiggle the pipes after install and there was no moving them without taking a BFH to them again. Even then I think it would take a lot of effort removing than installing.

After they got all the pipes into the head, they we able to hook up some pressurized air to one end of the pipe and sealed off the others to check for any leaks. You could use a high power shop vac to have it suck on one side and use your hand to plug up the other and you will be able to hear the suction or leaks.

They did put some locktite sealant meant for this type of install. I tried to wiggle the pipes after install and there was no moving them without taking a BFH to them again.(quote)

what kind of loctite sealant did they use? and how much and where did they put it on the whole pipe?

since that loctite gets hard wouldnt there be a chance of it getting hard coming off and getting in the motor? thanks

Isn't it possible to use hoses istead of pipes from the main pipe? I think it should be easier to route it.

They did put some locktite sealant meant for this type of install. I tried to wiggle the pipes after install and there was no moving them without taking a BFH to them again.(quote)

what kind of loctite sealant did they use? and how much and where did they put it on the whole pipe?

since that loctite gets hard wouldnt there be a chance of it getting hard coming off and getting in the motor? thanks

We were going to start all these projects with loctite freeze plug gasket maker but we had a hard time finding it. So instead we used a product that repairs copper head gaskets. It is designed for high heat very high pressures and never gets hard or brittle. Seems to be working very well.

We talked about the silocone hose idea but a straight piece wouldn't work... and getting something with a bend in it doesn't seem to really be cost effective.. So sticking with the mild steel pipes is my game plan...

I can totally understand why Wicked didn'y go and make massed produced versions.. You wouldn't believe how different every truck is set up ppl running all their nick nacks in the places the want them..! It's possible to make a general kit but if you were a special need certain steps would need to be taken... anyways we are still working on them.. trying them on different trucks.. and so far everyone has noticed a positive change.

thats definitly a cool way to do it, i like that a lot, any cost figures worked out yet?

We were going to start all these projects with loctite freeze plug gasket maker but we had a hard time finding it. So instead we used a product that repairs copper head gaskets. It is designed for high heat very high pressures and never gets hard or brittle. Seems to be working very well.

A tad expensive...but very good stuff!
http://www.silver-seal.com/product/30650/Seal-Lock-GRIP-50ml-Bottle---30650.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back