1969 Ford Cummins Crew Conversion....

It is getting close!!!

Yes.... but as usual, two steps forward one step back! I noticed that a couple valve seals pushed up slightly... like about a 1/16th or less out of the metal retainer/holder.

This is what I'm seeing....

A063009-8.jpg

:bang

Today I got the AirDog150 mounted in place....

AD070109-1.jpg

Brought in my new fuel tank/tool box from the shed. Ordered up some more fittings and some rubber isolators to mount the tank....

T070109-2.jpg

Here is the fuel door that I will be tying into the tank fill......

A062009-1.jpg

:Cheer:

Made a little modification to my remote filter plate..... tap'd out the turbo oil feed to 3/8 NPT. The plan is to feed both turbos through this port.

RF070109-1.jpg

RF070109-4.jpg

RF070109-5.jpg

:rockwoot:

Yes.... but as usual, two steps forward one step back! I noticed that a couple valve seals pushed up slightly... like about a 1/16th or less out of the metal retainer/holder.

This is what I'm seeing....
A063009-8.jpg

And this appears to be the problem....

A070209-5.jpg

A070209-6.jpg

I tried many different approaches to getting these on without causing this kind of damage. The thing that worked the best was some synthetic grease that I had combined with working them on and off a couple times. If I could do this all again, I would clean up the valve guide taper that the seal slides over... the edges must be a little sharp.

Made up a spring compressor to remove the seals in place.....

A070209-2.jpg

A070209-3.jpg

Then had to modify the tool to get to the back two exhaust valves....

A070209-11.jpg

A070209-12.jpg

gettin there bud, man did I see an oldie waitin for somevbody to do a swap on it, had to be a 50's era dodge pickup, had some trees growin through it but not in terrible shape.

Getting the head studs all torqued.....

A070309-1.jpg

My Boy got skills and you know chicks dig guys with skills......

A070309-2.jpg

A070309-3.jpg

Last edited:
Got a few miscellaneous things accomplished...

Hard piped the fuel supply with 5/8" tubing and -10AN fittings and is gravity fed from the 51 gallon tank.

A070809-1.jpg

A070809-2.jpg

Needed to get a good solid mount on the seats to test out the feel.... clutch is real easy to push, but I have to make some other refinements to get it to my liking,,,,

Seat brackets...

A070809--3.jpg

A070809-7.jpg

A070809-5.jpg

A070809-6.jpg

I'm going to shorten the clutch rod and actually use some rod ends, I may have tu change around the lower bend in the pedal, but we will have to see...

A070809-4.jpg

A070809-8.jpg

:what:

Hmmmmmm......

Thinking about boxing this frame up before I get too much further. Maybe have some 1/8" or 3/16" channel formed up and weld it in sections? Just past the TC or ahead of the rear axle....

I'm concerned that the open channel frame will flex too much under load.

Comments or thoughts???

The old frames certainly flex a lot.

Speaking of flexing, do you have any flex joints in your hard fuel lines? If the frame is flexing, everything bolted to the frame will also.

I don't know if I would box it? I would plate it though for sure. Plating is the same thing as boxing only on the outside of the frame rather than the inside of the C. Boxing is good, and a bit stronger, it all depends on how far along you are I guess. If you have alreazdy run lines inside your C then I would plate it.

I have the aluminum fuel line rubber mounted to the outside of the frame and will be braided at either end (IP and tank)...

My local fab shop is forming some 3/16" channel as I write this. So the plan is to box the rails and gusset and plate the cross member to the frame then box the main cross member which is about 9" wide. I'm thinking that I will run a length of PVC to pull wire as needed and use some spray foam to keep it from rattling around.

Some pics of what I'm working with...

M071309-1.jpg

And I'll box this and run angles to the frame....

M071309-1a.jpg

Not sure what to do with these cross members though? Maybe leave as is OR???

M071309-2.jpg

M071309-3.jpg

I still have to fabricate the trans cross member, but I'll wait till I get the frame boxed. I can make the trans cross member pretty stout also...

:what:

Wow that is crazy the way the old Fords had there body mounts. Boxing it will be a ***** but worth it. All thos3e cross members would be reason enough for me to just plate the frame. Your gusset idea will be strong no doubt. But where the crossmember ties into the frame will be a week point unless you can do a recess on the box plate behind it.

Well after much thought.... I decided to ditch the NP205 transfercase and go with a NV271.

I will be boxing up the frame in the near future (already started cutting and fabing) and will just use a half round to close up this cut out...

T071509-2.jpg

T071509-3.jpg

T071509-4.jpg

T071509-5.jpg

Nice choice. Unfortuanately now you have made yourself a lot of work in boxing the frame. But it'll be worth it in the end.