8.3L Cummins Transplant

The OEM for the irrigation pump shows the same exact diagram you posted with all Case numbers.

Clutch wills ship today thanks to Valiar! And might I say the price was very, very nice. :D

Yes, it has air. So how the hell does a fan clutch work off air? I don't even know how the normal ones work. LOL Learnt me.

Most truck fan hubs are default to be engaged. They use air to turn them off with a cheap 12v solenoid valve. ECM can turn fan on or a simple temp sensor, Air conditioner high pressure sensor can turn them on and you can have a manual switch do it also. The nice thing about them is if a water temp sensor fails the fan comes on by default.
http://catalog.hortonww.com/catalog/index.asp

"Normal" ones work of a fluid in the hub that when gets to up in Temp it turns into more of a solid causing the fan to turn. Thats why on some of these old trucks if they sit for a while when you first start them up the fan is on because all of the fluid has sunken to the bottom of the clutch. My ol 7.3l Ford does for the first mile or so.

We have a local fuel company that goes through at least one of those hubs a year. Something fails in the hub and they stick on cold and freewheel hot.

No more miles than I'm gonna drive it and no farther than it will ever be from home, just a generic old fan should work. :D

No more miles than I'm gonna drive it and no farther than it will ever be from home, just a generic old fan should work. :D
Well would be willing to bet any truck you find with an air system will have a horton fan hub so that's as generic as they come. If it came out of a truck with hydraulic brakes you might find a viscous pos.

Well would be willing to bet any truck you find with an air system will have a horton fan hub so that's as generic as they come. If it came out of a truck with hydraulic brakes you might find a viscous pos.

Truck salvage in Shawnee, OK is looking currently. Waiting on call back. He said he has an 8.3L out of Pederbuildt so I'm sure it will be air if that is the default.

What do you hook the air to that turns it on/off due to temp?

Holy Lord. All this crap for a stinking fan? :bang LOL

attachment.php

So what you are saying is that the fan is driven with the air or is it still on the serpentine belt?

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 0
The fan pulley is turned with a belt. The air locks/unlocks the fan clutch face to allow the fan to be driven by the pulley. You could run a simple on/off switch to control the clutch, but you need to keep an eye on the temps.

If by some miracle I get a second to think today, I'll get you part numbers for the drive hub that bolts to the block.

Last edited:
Anyone want to guess how many new words I just made up? I'm 0-2 on mounts so far.

ff7428b56bf788078cabff056d2e83fe.jpg

From dumb phone.

Oh come on Hill Billy! You can't farmer fix that little issue? Even a truckdriver can come up with a solution to a slight coolant overflow problem. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457396162.627731.jpg

Was delighted when I opened the hood on a truck that was towed in to find only the best drugstore vodka catch can!

Locating 1" plate now. It's not that I can't build them, it's that I don't want to. Fail and fail.

b01ddbfd8c7530a509daaf88ca2752bb.jpg

From dumb phone.

I'm willing to bet the one Calibrated Power has is the one I need. Looks far closer than the rest.

engine_install_2_zpsmhbsxnm6.jpg

This is phukkin stupid.......

attachment.php

Attachments

• Engine Mount.jpg
    Engine Mount.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 0
I like that you put the welds in solidworks atleast this way I can tell its a weldment and not made out of piece of steel. :poke::poke:

Only the finest meats-n-cheeses. LOL

Looking into Cummins P/N 4942256 now. Maybe it will work.

504537d1457451810-big-block-8-9l-2011-ram-build-front-mount.jpg

Looks more of like what I need than anything I've seen. Trying to find one online.

Sweet. I just talked with a Salvage in Shawnee, OK. He told me he would trade me out the 5-speed Eaton for the fan setup as well as a stick for the 6-speed that is the correct one. I'll pick his brain about the mount too. Maybe this blind sow can find three acorns in one day!