Ahale's 94 Build thread

Its no fun without 5th gear still, my retainer should come today, once thats in I'll make a better vid, right now its no fun blasting 4th till 80 then letting off

This is all assuming the 5th gear nut isnt destroyed from jingling around on the main shaft for the last 500 miles :(

talked to Kenney, he is sending out a replacement clutch. thank god there are some guys out there that still value customer service.

just my luck! 5th gear is sitting pretty, but its synchro hub 'sploded

guessing there is a snap ring that fell off the counter shaft (only reason 25% of the splines would still be there), thankfully the shaft itself is ok.

also, the fluid is pure brass, so sooner of later this thing is going to need a full rebuild, this double disk virtually never releases, and finding 1st/reverse is a matter of leaning on the synchro untill it stope the input :(

need to find one of these asap

BFA8AF63-2A64-4A63-96B4-FF8BA0F8A88C-563-000000377C0C58C5.jpg

F93EC2D7-458B-4D26-B0D7-8CE29F57C647-563-00000037817FCC0F.jpg

Last edited:
Clutch O/D gear, got a shelf of those that look the same way, at some point you may wish you kept the automatic.

That point came long ago.... Does the clutch gear only strip out when it looses its retaining ring and slides back?

Found a 2wd trans local, 450$ supposibly low miles, going buy it, rob parts, rebuild, and sell for a profit

I WILL have 5th gear back today.

No, they strip at will, best bet is to not abuse the power when in 5th gear.

How is it that nv's have a "bullet proof" reputation? Do they usually strip at this low of power?

They are not bulletproof, seems like much into the 500hp range and they become hit or miss for reliability.

How is it that nv's have a "bullet proof" reputation? Do they usually strip at this low of power?

I don't know where you got they are bullet proof? I've killed a number of them over the years in stock work trucks.

got it all back together a while ago, everything is fine. ive got a spare NV now, not sure what to do just yet. this 2wd trans literally has no wear on it. it came out of some truck that crashed brand new 7000k miles when it was parted aparently, and has been sitting at a trans shop since.

i think i will take a weekend, and overhaul one NV, then make another out of the spare parts.

but for now, the truck is back together and running

I don't know where you got they are bullet proof? I've killed a number of them over the years in stock work trucks.

i always was told the NV was the king of manual transmissions that came in pickups, better than the 5600, and as good, if not better than the ZF transmissions.

.....guess not?:what:

I'm not looking forward to swapping back to an auto, I just wanted something that would hold power, I'm relativity nice to transmissions, yet i cant seem to keep one in this truck

We struggle to keep them alive in our dump truck. Plowing and working that truck has killed 6 of them in the last 10 years.

You're thinking of the abused Getrag vs NV debate and mixing in a little cost to rebuild debate with the 4500 vs 5600.

so you are telling me a nv5600 is stronger than a 4500?

i know every trans has its flaws... Rag's with their small bearings, oiling problems, and inputs, NV's with inputs and 5thgears and clearly this 5thgear synchro

what about NV5600's?
g56?

what is the best? i'm all for a good auto, but its the cooling system and linkage cables, and all that that drives me nuts.

I'm going to build a nice NV, and see where that gets me. i've got a bit more fuel planned, then the truck is going to stay at 600-650

NV4500 should be perfect for what you want; you've just had a run of bad luck recently.

There are some serious power trucks that run NV4500 setups just fine. Don't get me wrong, you won't see them in a competitive 3.0 truck of course, but there are plenty in 2.6 (which is way more power than you or I have or desire).

A good rebuild, cryo treatment, billet 1" 3/8 input, DD clutch, 5th gear fix, and you're good to go.

I have found there are two things to avoid with these (or any manual) for longevity. They hate 5K rpm/3rd gear launches, and higher hp (700+) WOT at low RPM in 5th.

I wouldn't trade my 4500 for a 5600, and DAMN sure not a G56.

Has Cryo been proven as an actual benifit? Seems like the fad of the week to me

I understand the science behind it, but in a gear train I'd have to see side by side results

Call up Peter at SBC. I'm sure he could provide you with all the info you need.