Ahale's 94 Build thread

What im asking is does the block plate block that hole, or will the plug push all the way out

The cam gear itself acts as the front wear surface that the actual cam retainer pushes against, so once the cam is that far out, i dont know if the cam will push the rear plug out all the way, or hit a tappet before it pushes that far back

Pulled the transmission out today to replace the cam bore plug, it was hammered to **** and fell right out when I pulled the block plate off.

as is with my luck, the new clutch looks like absolute garbage, clearly slipping at 536 hp, awesome

nope, no oil got on to it, the block plate has no way for the oil to get into the bell housing. didn't see any trace of oil or grease getting near the clutch. I was super careful not to lube anything up too much on install seeing that that's how my last southbend died

I've got no idea why its slipping, i've felt it a few times at lower rpm, when building power closer to 2000 rpm, if i rev the truck out more it holds fine, but i guess it dosnt like the torque

I'll call kenney tomorrow and ask whats up, it may be my paranoia and not knowing how a button clutch wears, but all 4 friction surfaces looked scored, and the pressure plate and flywheel side clutch buttons look worn to hell, and have about 1/2 the meat as the center plate frictions

nope, no oil got on to it, the block plate has no way for the oil to get into the bell housing. didn't see any trace of oil or grease getting near the clutch. I was super careful not to lube anything up too much on install seeing that that's how my last southbend died

I've got no idea why its slipping, i've felt it a few times at lower rpm, when building power closer to 2000 rpm, if i rev the truck out more it holds fine, but i guess it dosnt like the torque

I'll call kenney tomorrow and ask whats up, it may be my paranoia and not knowing how a button clutch wears, but all 4 friction surfaces looked scored, and the pressure plate and flywheel side clutch buttons look worn to hell, and have about 1/2 the meat as the center plate frictions

I would have to say thats not normal wear sadly

by normal wear I mean the scoring on the surfaces of the pressure plate, flywheel, and center plate, all of the surfaces had wear that I was able to feel by dragging my fingernail across, even more agressive than that really.

talked to kenney today, he told me to check the throw out arm play. I have allready checked to see if the slave had full trave, wich it did, and i'm 99% sure throw out arm is free.

next option is to just rip it apart and get a new one. I asked him what the pedal feel was supposed to be like, due to the fact that this double disk is atleast twice as light as my stock clutch, he told me it should be harder..... so I'd place my money on a bad/wrong pressure plate.

guess we will see. Seems like every single time there is parts coming in the mail to make more power... there is somekind of setback on the drivetrain side of things

How much freeplay did you have on your pedal? Also I am assuming you did this but am gonna ask anyways, did you replace the pilot bearing and maybe throw out bearing?

Last edited:
Sucks about your clutch.. Did you get a modified clutch fork with the clutch kit?

Just curious. My 650 Valair DD came with one.

How much freeplay did you have on your pedal? Also I am assuming you did this but am gonna ask anyways, did you replace the pilot bearing and maybe throw out bearing?

there is about 1/2 inch of throw out fork play when the slave is off. slave will bottom in the bore if you depress the piston, so its not that hanging it up.

throw out fork is stock, I was told my stock hydro's and fork would be ok with this clutch. throw out bearing is new, the arm pivot is new.

i'e looked at every option at this point, only thing i can think of is an incorrect pressure plate. If this clutch should have a HARDER pedal than a stock clutch, than thats definintly the issue, it is twice as soft as a stock clutch, the weight of my leg can depress the clutch

Seems like every single time there is parts coming in the mail to make more power... there is somekind of setback on the drivetrain side of things

My 1st Gen has been like that lately. Finally put a locker in it, and found out that I have tranny cooler lines that are leaking, a bad trans mount, my driveshaft is hitting the loop, and it pushed a freeze plug out. Oh, and someone accidentally flipped a nitrous switch, and burned up a solenoid. All easy fixes, but it sure didn't want to leave the shop! :lolly:

Do you think that maybe the stock hydro's can't handle the extra pressure needed?

Just a thought, I was told when I bought mine that stock can hold it, but it is on borrowed time and he couldn't guarantee it without upgraded hydro's. I am unsure on if this info is fact but that is what I was told.

Or it could just be the wrong pressure plate lol

Last edited:
Do you think that maybe the stock hydro's can't handle the extra pressure needed?

Just a thought, I was told when I bought mine that stock can hold it, but it is on borrowed time and he couldn't guarantee it without upgraded hydro's. I am unsure on if this info is fact but that is what I was told.

Or it could just be the wrong pressure plate lol

nope, I was told by kenney that my hydro's would be ok, and that the later 98-02 hydro's are the ones that really need upgrading.

I'd agree if the pedal was hard, but it is smooth and light.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that simply because your clutch pedal was half as heavy as stock that your pressure plate was either incorrect or broken and not giving you the clamping force needed.

turbo has taken for-eevvv-errr but it should be here tomorrow, that will be going in this weekend. front cover will need to be modified for the HX35 style Vband clamp (depending on the conmressor outlet ID) hopefully it is relativity the same size so that the 90* bend isn't too restrictive.

5thgear said see-ya yesterday (peacefully thank god) and a retainer is on the way, hopefully that will be here saturday.

I've had a hell of a time trying to get in touch with Kenney from kenney's pulling parts, apparently he wont be in untill monday, been bugging him almost daily since before Christmas. Hopefully he will just up and send me a new clutch, this one is basically junk.

I'm sure the clutch with roast with any new-found power. but I hope to be in the 600's with some tuning after I get that settled

468 is on, lag lag lag till 2000, from there it pulls way hard. no traction through 4th, and still no 5th gear. need a bigger air filter, and a clutch that can hold it all

517EF764-383A-4F5E-9CAD-1322A25D0D56-712-00000032425C3E39.jpg

537F0D2A-0D39-47CB-822D-1F1A19AC5A7C-712-000000324A4087A5.jpg

92931743-1FFA-4C00-98D2-BCDE9D8D204A-712-0000003239F71CE6.jpg

Back