Ahale's 94 Build thread

I'm going to if/when I go back..... 90% of the time i was shifting the auto manual anyways!

in her natural habitat....

D7B5C45E-CD69-48F7-A8E8-261501D67045-733-0000003E97CB4F96.jpg

Your truck is a lot like a turbo mustang. They live on jack stands. If you swap back to an auto you're going to hate it again.

Why would he hate it? get a 2000-2200 rpm stall to light the turbo well, a manual vb that can lock up in 2nd and its like driving a standard just stronger and shifts faster.

i only hated the auto because it kept failing, it was my fault for not having the foresight to build it right the day I bought it, for a year i always said the truck was never going to get turned up...

rebuilt the nv today, everything went together well, main shaft endplay at .001

its back together, yet somehow kenney mixed things up and sent me a clutch for a six speed, did not notice until the job was done and i attempted to start it.... UGH

ordered the 6speed starter space through dodge...ill have it in the AM hopefully

Your truck is a lot like a turbo mustang. They live on jack stands. If you swap back to an auto you're going to hate it again.

Typical mindset of someone who hasn't been in a truck with a "correctly" modified auto. That was me 3 years ago until I rode in a friends truck, after the initial shock and awe subsided I found a transmission and converted the sucker. :Cheer:

Rusty is just scared of what would happen when my truck is setup with the proper trans and all he see's is tailgate, constantly

:)

starter spacer was the trick! truck starts better for some reason, better than it did with the correct flywheel and the same starter... interesting.

clutch shifts 100% better than the last one, 1st and reverse select with little to no force on the shifter, unlike before where you had to lean on the shifter. gear changes happen faster.

it must be something about the pressure plate on the first clutch.... its actually almost enjoyable to drive now.

that being said.... who is going to trade me their auto? LOL

Guages! They arnt plummed yet, but i made a pod for the cupholder.

Needs some finishing

B6B700D8-0E45-4B04-80D2-DCB30E591BDE-1720-000000AED96FA46E-1.jpg

C7E9D98C-F392-4336-B080-E581E2BDF6E5-1794-000000B3B8130B38.jpg

gauges are finally hooked up!

EGT's are very controllable. At a sustained 40psi boost egt's just hit 1200 deg, boost max's just over 60 psi, egt gauge JUST max's at the end of a pull (1500 deg gauge). Fuel pressure is 60psi idle, 35 psi WOT. Keep in mind that's a stock piston pump, fed by a fass pushing 15 psi through 1/2 ID lines, from a sump.

as far as spool, the turbo just starts to make 10 psi by 2000rpm, after that its "lit" and has little to no lag or hesitation from 10-60 psi

I would love to find a way to get the turbo to spool faster, I have thought about a spool flange, but I just do not need anymore work right now. a spool flange would require even more down pipe, oil drain, and shock tower modification. either way, the truck scoots, watching the gauges and the road is a task in itself.

This saturday, I plan to dyno the truck (weather permitting) I'm shooting for 600hp/1xxxtq. I talked to Will, aka Bigblue24v and he is sending me another set of DV's to try(thanks Will!). I will do a back to back test with the 028's in the truck now, and the new dv's (7mm comp style cut)

whats done to the truck as it sits now...
5x16's
028dv's
timing at 20deg
rack plug
afc tuned, full open at 40psi
no plate
barrels "racked"
Valve springs, retainers and locks from Weston, rocker support
Hamilton pushrods, 24V tappets, 188/220 cam
fuel sump, external filters, 1/2 lines, VP44 Fass pump feeding a stock piston lift pump.
steed competition T4 maifold
FMW 68/83/.9
arp2000's at 140ft/lbs
NV4500
Kenney's DD

I think the 160 pump, and or the fuel supply is the only think that will keep me from 600hp.

the old girl has come a long way, maybe 160 horse bone stock when I started this thread, and well into my original goal of 500-550 now. once I get the 600, its going to be time to focus on other projects...

...or create another project by returning the truck to stock, and throwing the drivetrain in a 2wd shortbed

Last edited:
new 7mm dv's are in, quite a bit of haze, and a tad "touchy" throttle.

they fuel much harder than the 028's, turbo is spooling almost 200 rpm sooner. peak boost is up a tad in the 65 psi area. EGT's are 100deg hotter, I assume they will be quite toasty when the summer months come around, as its around 20 deg here lately.

I do need to tune a bit more and figure out how to cut some haze, without sacrificing spool. pre-boost hasn't make much of an effect on the haze, I'm wondering if timing will help any.... then again, with a 5x16 and a big dv, I know there will be a certain amount that I can not control.

dyno will be next weekend, due to the weather.

Question...

Can a 47re be run in my truck with a full manual valve body?

Essentially, what would it take for me to run an RE in my 94? Ive got no problem going to a ratchet shifter, and manual lockup/OD controls, but is it doable? Or will the trans still not work?

Im not sure what a RE looks for from the truck to function...

I think a manual VB eliminates the whole electric aspect of it. Shouldn't need anything. Actually on second thought you'd need a way to control line pressure

If it has one then yes! I know my RH pretty well, wasn't sure just how electronic the RE was. I don't see why not then.

from what i know, most of the RE's brain is OD/lock control, and shift points.

either way, I would go to full manual on those controls anyways.

looks like my search has been expanded to re/rh

Inherent problem with the RE is the gov pressure solenoid popping open around 135psi. That's all the pressure I've ever made with this vb with the pressure adjustment screw down as tight as it will go. It's held roughly 600hp like that with stock clutches.

I found a guy very local to me with a "built" auto, he is not even sure if it is an RE or an RH he says, but he has a build sheet that he is going to get me later. apparently its billet input/converter/flexplate and im guessing the normal inside parts.

he seems willing to swap, problem is his truck is an extended cab shortbed, not sure how different the driveshafts are... if they are at all.

the s400 tows well, towed my buddys 01' exc/sb truck on the flatbed today

boost is far right, egt center, fuel left. max the egt ever hit was 950-1000 ish, max of about 25 lbs of boost, pulling from a stop up a hill. pretty impressed, its a whole different turbo attached to a trailer.

dyno this sunday.

[ame]http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu29/ahale2772/42A0FC69-F43C-4315-AE75-16011EA81AA6-1385-0000008AA17D0098_zps1ed1c2e6.mp4[/ame]