Billet Rods

You can play games all day long with your formulas, eventually you have to APPLY it to real life.
Inadvertently, my entire career has been working with educated morons and showing them why their formula and plans on paper are not working out in real life, on the job.(not that I'm unedumutated)

While that little formula above looks great and you are high fiving each other, real life shows pulling has a tendency to split blocks in half, while drag racing does not.
Why?
A combination of higher boost levels,higher power output, higher cylinder pressure, and a 40,000 pound resistance to moving forward, all of which results in block stress, that racers do not see at 150MPH. Maybe they will at 250, but we won't see that for many years to come on a 5.9 block.

You may not know what Scott did to his block,but myself and the rest of the pulling world know----he over stress the f-in thing with way to much cylinder pres. -Somthing that is almost un-heard of drag racing.

So are you trying to say that a sled pull engine makes more cylinder pressure to make the same power as a drag race engine does? Power comes from the force applied to the crankshaft, so if they make the same power the cylinder pressures are going to be the same.

Now think about this, if we have the same engine in a sled puller that leaves the line at 4500 RPM and gets to 5600 RPM at the end of a 300' pull and when drag racing it takes 1/8 mile to go from 4500 RPM to 5600 in high gear which has more load on it? Now a sled puller only does it once per pull, where as a drag racer does it several time per race. Then runs the very same engine 10 times or more per event!

Sleddy if you really wanted the sport to move forward you would disappear from it.

You can play games all day long with your formulas, eventually you have to APPLY it to real life.
Inadvertently, my entire career has been working with educated morons and showing them why their formula and plans on paper are not working out in real life, on the job.(not that I'm unedumutated)

While that little formula above looks great and you are high fiving each other, real life shows pulling has a tendency to split blocks in half, while drag racing does not.
Why?
A combination of higher boost levels,higher power output, higher cylinder pressure, and a 40,000 pound resistance to moving forward, all of which results in block stress, that racers do not see at 150MPH. Maybe they will at 250, but we won't see that for many years to come on a 5.9 block.

Internet bashing is not a career!!!!!!!LOL

From Rodger Lowery as of 9:00 this AM:
"Our sleds weigh 28,000 empty,we can add an extra 30,000 (thats 58,000 total)

For Diesel pickups we only bring 12,000 to add, depending on the track."

I have never seen a sled with no weight in it, on Diesel trucks. Work Stock, I have seen 2 weights (4000 #) which would give us 32,000, and then we add weight almost every class- up to 40,000.

Lowerys own state of the art pulling sleds that that everybody who pulls on this site as hooked to I would expect.

I wasn't lying with my specs.

As much I understand

in dragrace: you start with 100% load and it will reduce and more rpm

in sledpulling : you start with xx % and it will rise to 110% and you loose rpm

As much I understand

in dragrace: you start with 100% load and it will reduce and more rpm
Using Steve Cole racer math, that would be incorrect because you are starting in 1st gear and everyone knows gear reduction puts less stress on the engine, right Steve?:hehe::hehe::hehe:

Diesel Monster, this is a hobby, not a career:shake:

So are you trying to say that a sled pull engine makes more cylinder pressure to make the same power as a drag race engine does? Power comes from the force applied to the crankshaft, so if they make the same power the cylinder pressures are going to be the same.

Now think about this, if we have the same engine in a sled puller that leaves the line at 4500 RPM and gets to 5600 RPM at the end of a 300' pull and when drag racing it takes 1/8 mile to go from 4500 RPM to 5600 in high gear which has more load on it? Now a sled puller only does it once per pull, where as a drag racer does it several time per race. Then runs the very same engine 10 times or more per event!

Sleddy if you really wanted the sport to move forward you would disappear from it.
Ok as I said before a drag racing engine and a pulling engine are differant period!DOES JIMMIE SMITH RUN THE SAME CHARGERS AS KENT?NO.I have a 659 cu. engine sitting in a pulling truck with 2 1250 dominators on it,If I take the 2 dominators off and put a 600 cfm carb on it will it make the same power?NO almost the same engine ----but its NOT!What drag racer is running 2 hx82's?I am not bashing anyone do to the fact I have the same issues with my truck.The problem is they are two differant applications.I have seen the chargers on both pulling trucks and the top drag trucks THEY ARE DIFFERANT--hence differant power levels.PLEASE tell me what drag racer is putting out 1900+ HP.I respect each and every type of motorsport there is----but every one has its own issues to deal with.They are not the same.

.......... so I expect he'll keep his mouth shut in the sled pulling area from now on, if hes smart.

I see yo u didn't take my advice Steve, since you posted again.

So I am waiting for your apology about what sleds weigh, or are you going to Call GSM, 2Wd Puller, and several others liars too?

If you are soooo wrong on something simple like sled weights, what else are you wrong on?:redx:

I see yo u didn't take my advice Steve, since you posted again.

So I am waiting for your apology about what sleds weigh, or are you going to Call GSM, 2Wd Puller, and several others liars too?

If you are soooo wrong on something simple like sled weights, what else are you wrong on?:redx:

come on now you gotta think of it this way. take the wheels of the sled and put the full 40,000 lbs of weight flat on the ground and start the sled pull that way. the 40,000 lbs gradually comes in, you are not pulling 40,000 right off the bat, if you were, you would never move.

come on now you gotta think of it this way. take the wheels of the sled and put the full 40,000 lbs of weight flat on the ground and start the sled pull that way. the 40,000 lbs gradually comes in, you are not pulling 40,000 right off the bat, if you were, you would never move.

You are kidding, right?

You are kidding, right?
kinda lol. of course the sled weights 40,000 pounds weather its on the tires or not. what the tires do do is help get the sled moving. i am correct about that. thats why when you sled pull and the weight moves off the tires and on to the ground you stop lol. like i said, put full 40,000 lbs of weight flat on the ground with no wheels and tires and tell me if you would get the sled to move.

Not full load? Its 40,000 pounds, thats goes from rolling /slight drag resistance, to full on dragging resistance.
If anything its 100% load, to 200% load.

Ok we are making progress.
We have a Californian drag racer agreeing with my second post on the thread.

Ok we are making progress.
We have a Californian drag racer agreeing with my second post on the thread.

i do agree with you but not the 100 to 200 % . it would be more like that if your tires were not spinning and you had 100 to 200 % full traction. more like 75% to say 125% lol.

ok i am done :poke: the pot again. i will chime back in in probably 2 to 3 pages. :hehe:

i do agree with you but not the 100 to 200 % . it would be more like that if your tires were not spinning and you had 100 to 200 % full traction. more like 75% to say 125% lol.

Thats fine, the numbers were hypothetical, the bottom line is, you agree the load increases as the resistance increases.

High Five!!:cheer:

Ok so if you take 100# rock and put it on wheels and pull it with a cable with a scale in it when you pull it what will the scale read 100#s?
Now take the same set-up and let it roll 10' and then pull on the cable as hard as you can-----bet the scale goes way above 100#

Ok so if you take 100# rock and put it on wheels and pull it with a cable with a scale in it when you pull it what will the scale read 100#s?
Now take the same set-up and let it roll 10' and then pull on the cable as hard as you can-----bet the scale goes way above 100#

wont read as high as you think if your hand slips now will it. same thing with tire spinage.

Drag racin your wining if you can keep it in the HP peak.

Sled pullin your looking to keep it in the torque peak. The torque peak is were you compress rods, and blow out cylinder walls.

Drag racin your wining if you can keep it in the HP peak.

Sled pullin your looking to keep it in the torque peak. The torque peak is were you compress rods, and blow out cylinder walls.

i am by all means not a sled puller so here is a question i would like to ask to go along with the above statement. if thats the case then why do the sled pullers try to turn so so many RPMs when the peak torque is probably way lower then what they are turning?