Billet Rods

i am by all means not a sled puller so here is a question i would like to ask to go along with the above statement. if thats the case then why do the sled pullers try to turn so so many RPMs when the peak torque is probably way lower then what they are turning?

You take trucks like BBD or the cat pulling truck and there torque peak is WAY higher than stock, my common rail would kill them both at 2200rpm.........4500 and up.......:hehe::hehe::hehe: its good bye.

you need the rps for wheel speed so that when you get to the end of the track and the wieght really starts to come on and pull the motor down you still have some of that peak torque left before it snuffs out the turbo(s). It is the last couple feet that you need the power most.

40,000 lbs...steel on dirt friction factor...could be as low as .5....

So...it takes 20,000 lbs force to move...

8,000 lb truck....rubber on dirt friction factor...could be as high as 1.25....

So...it takes 10,000 lbs force to move...

Your not moving! 1000 hp or 100hp...lol

But I guess I am just one of those educated morons that you need to teach what is up with the REAL world...lol.

BTW..why are you not educated?

Dayup, ya lost me, I don't even know what you are trying to say, much less dispute it.

First post

Well Ive been wanting to post for awhile so Im just gonna jump on in. I being a slep operator several people on here can vouge for, knows that our sled behind a full size tractor, with #2500 of scales, scrapers, etc will roll across the scales in the 70,000 lbs range. But I guess the scale must be off and the truck driver is feeding me bs when he tells me he knows the something back there cuz that weight is on wheels and thats with the pan sevaral inches off the ground not resting on it like at the starting line. Im no pulling expert but Ive been under the impression for several years that I use low range to help REDUCE the stress on the driveline and avoid the broken stuff. (Which I have except for Indy lmao) Id love to see what driveline parts would survive a drag trucks high range fully boosted launch with a sled hooked to it. $.02 :poke:

Id love to see what driveline parts would survive a drag trucks high range fully boosted launch with a sled hooked to it. $.02 :poke:
they would look fine because of the point all of you are missing. TIRES ARE SPINNING ON DIRT. what would happen if you take the same sled and pull it on asphalt instead? you guys have to take in account traction.

if you remember right, Chris Werner pulled a sled at J & H diesel rally last year at 1200hp at the tires and what happend? NOTHING.

But I guess the scale must be off and the truck driver is feeding me bs when he tells me he knows the something back there

****cuz that weight is on wheels and thats with the pan sevaral inches off the ground not resting on it like at the starting line.****

I know, I know, you being an easterner and an uneducated puller, tried to apply West coast dragracing NEW math that Steve Cole has been so helpfully teaching us, and you just can't get it to work!! Frustrating!

We'll keep hashing it out, maybe, cquestad will come in with another formula to show these sleds only weigh half as much as we know they do, and we'll quit breaking parts!!!:hehe::hehe::hehe:

hey i never said the sled weight was not ther lol, i agreed with you that the load does come on gradually what i dont agree with is saying drag racers trucks dont have as much load as a sled pullers load. they do. although we are only pulling the weight of our trucks, we are pulling that weight how many times faster than your sled? load is load dont matter how you look at it. it takes so much X to take a truck with this weight that fast in the 1/4. same thing with a sled weight X ammount and going 300ft so fast.

they would look fine because of the point all of you are missing. TIRES ARE SPINNING ON DIRT. what would happen if you take the same sled and pull it on asphalt instead? you guys have to take in account traction.

You guys know Matt Stuckey? He was a drag racer from a few years back with a real 750 HP.
He tried hooking to the sled one day at Indy.
I told him come off the line at low boost or he would snap his pinion, he came off light, second try, and was rolling down the track nicely-until he locked his TQ converter. SNAP.

On dirt, huh, imagine that.

The tires are spinning but OBVIOUSLY they are HOOKING somehow or you would NOT MOVE.

You guys REALLY need to come to a few more pulls and observe, not just regurgitate what other racers THINK is happening.

Better yet, hook your own truck, then you'll know.

All we would need to do is put a load cell in the chain during a pull.

It would clearly show that even though the sled weighs 40k lbs mass, the force in the chain when coming off the line is MUCH less than 40k lbs-force. Just keep in mind that mass and lbs-force are related in this situation but they are not the same thing.

I would guess when the box is fully retracted, the force in the chain could be somewhere 30% or less of the max force developed when the box is up and 100% of the sled is sitting on the pan. When that's all the way up, if anyone on earth knew the friction coefficient, just multiply that by the mass (40k lbs) and you would know the force in the chain.

It's intuitive, we all know that 40k lbs on wheels requires a hell of lot less force to move than 40k dead weight.

These new sleds come off the line very reasonably.

You guys know Matt Stuckey? He was a drag racer from a few years back with a real 750 HP.
He tried hooking to the sled one day at Indy.
I told him come off the line at low boost or he would snap his pinion, he came off light, second try, and was rolling down the track nicely-until he locked his TQ converter. SNAP.

On dirt, huh, imagine that.

The tires are spinning but OBVIOUSLY they are HOOKING somehow or you would NOT MOVE.

You guys REALLY need to come to a few more pulls and observe, not just regurgitate what other racers THINK is happening.

Better yet, hook your own truck, then you'll know.
well of course they are hooking somewhat or else you wouldnt ever move lol. i am just saying you guys cant say a drag racers drivetrain does not see as much load. just like stated a few lines above that what happend if you pulled the string really hard with the scale what would happen? let me ask you this sledpuller, what would happen if you left pulling the sled at full power and full boost instead of coming up slow? probably brake something. now imagine 1200 or more hp, coming off the line at FULL power, FULL BOOST, and the tires not spinning much at all? you cant tell me there is no load there.

hey i never said the sled weight was not ther lol,
You didn't Steve Cole did.

what i dont agree with is saying drag racers trucks dont have as much load as a sled pullers load. they do. .

That is subject to opinion, as you have no proof, and we do, we win.:woohoo:
The proof is, one more time, Mod pulling trucks are splitting non 53 blocks in half- racers are not.

Why? You tell me.

Street trucks, are a different story, like I said, you race your truck, then hook it to a sled and tell me which is harder on the truck, watch your gauges and take notes what they say.
Now you have told us 15 times, since the tires spin on dirt, sled pulling is a cake walk, so show us.

You didn't Steve Cole did.

That is subject to opinion, as you have no proof, and we do, we win.:woohoo:
The proof is, one more time, Mod pulling trucks are splitting non 53 blocks in half- racers are not.

Why? You tell me.

Street trucks, are a different story, like I said, you race your truck, then hook it to a sled and tell me which is harder on the truck, watch your gauges and take notes what they say.
Now you have told us 15 times, since the tires spin on dirt, sled pulling is a cake walk, so show us.
never said it was cake walk lol. your telling me that we have never split blocks or blow windows out the side of them? if not you are sadly mistaken sir lol. gene , your a good guy but this proof you speak of is :doh:

i am just saying you guys cant say a drag racers drivetrain does not see as much load. .

No, we did not. We said the ENGINE sees more load. The racing drivetrains are taking shock loads, the pullers drive trains are seeing a twisting tq load. Ie, the engine is trying to turn the axles, the sled is trying to stop that from happening.

I know, its hard to keep up in these long threads.:bang

or how about we put 4 slicks on your truck, have a very well prepped track, and you leave the line on full boost right off the bat, not easing into it and tell me we dont have load.

Not talking about blowing rods out, we are talking about splitting blocks!!!!
See you guys STILL do not understand what you are even arguing about!!!!!!!

No, we did not. We said the ENGINE sees more load. The racing drivetrains are taking shock loads, the pullers drive trains are seeing a twisting tq load. Ie, the engine is trying to turn the axles, the sled is trying to stop that from happening.

I know, its hard to keep up in these long threads.:bang

ok i got it lol. I DIDNT READ THAT PART lol:bang:bang:bang of course you guys see more totall load but i thought the comment was made that we saw almost no load compared to you guys. of course you see more load but it aint as much as you may think, but yes you see more. :hehe::Cheer:

Not talking about blowing rods out, we are talking about splitting blocks!!!!
See you guys STILL do not understand what you are even arguing about!!!!!!!

maybe it has something to do with the tremendous boost levels huh:hehe:

i am both a drag racer and a long time puller

I can tell you without a doubt that at mid track when that sled hits you , there is no comparison to anything drag racin at mid track.

Anytime you think dirt is easy on a truck - watch red clay grab a tire and suck it down like glue, or on a hard clay track watch the four tires smoke for 300'

I've seen fifteen trucks line up and fifteen of em break right off the line the clay was sooo tough

Show me a race truck that corkscrews the driveshaft outa their truck at the end of a run like most pullers have at the end of thiers

thers an old sayin - pullers are racers who got too old n smart to go fast

Put a set of slicks on any decent pull truck, take the added weight off of it and it will compete very well with any drag truck - and not break

On any given day the motors n drivelines of any high hp truck, gas or diesel sends/endures incredible loads n shock

You can argue the two venues all year - and each will beleive what they wish - at the end of the day - its all relative

Last edited:
What's the highest boost a drag racer has ever made?

How many have compound twins that can make insane pressure ratios?

Not baiting, just asking.