Billet Rods

I know on my 2wd truck it loads like crazy. You can acutally start to fill what seems to be the truck binding up. I run 3.73 gears and 35 inch tall tires. Anyone that wants to drive my 2wd down the pulling track and tell me there isnt load be my guess. Ive bent my frame hooking to sled's and killed alot of parts. I run 4500 rpms when hooked to the sled draggin it down to the 300" mark nice and slow. I know i never hit 4500 rpms while drag racing and while @WOT my egts run about 1350 in a quarter mile. In a 300" pull i dont even wanna no what it is. I can tell you my gauge is buried and up pipes glow

Sleddy if you were to sit down and read what I wrote when it was written you could see how stupid you really look. I placed a post back a few pages ago (#128) .

I answered 128 with#258. Read it and weep, Jr.

The other so called questions you asked, were you skirting my questions,and OTHER posters, that you didn't want to talk about,because you didn't like the answers. Sad.

Has anyone considered rolling resistance? Since that is what all this comes down to?

5,000lb truck trying to move its own weight agaist rolling resistance is going to be less than a 8,000lb truck trying to pull even a 20,000lb sled (considering some of the resistance is still on the wheel at teh line.) When it comes to the slipping of the tires of a pulling truck, the rolling resistance is going to be greater. The sled doesn't add rolling resistance, it multiplies it due to static contact. If you look at drag racing coefficents, its becomes less due to speed to a point until it levels out. Your rolling resistance at most stays the same once you leave the line. It should become less because the interia it takes to get a vehicle rolling fomr a stop is more than it is to get it to accelerate. As much as it takes a pulling truck to covercome that initial tug to get the sled moving, physics states that since the static contact weight increases, rolling resistance multiplies due to gravity plus the force of trying to move the object in a general direction.

I like both tyes of racing, but physics shows rolling resistance is greater in pulling than drag racing. If i got to get the formulas out I will and I'mm sure no one will listen anyways but I figured I'd chime in.

Travis, you're throwing aero drag out the window and that's not trivial IMHO. Plus I believe the acceleration rates are quite high throughout the pass. Add those two and the load is significant.

Not taking a side here just saying you'd have to put numbers to it, to be fair and accurate. Just winging something off the cuff is what a lot of people on both sides are doing here (and obviously it's not getting anywhere)....

Ok so if you take 100# rock and put it on wheels and pull it with a cable with a scale in it when you pull it what will the scale read 100#s?
Now take the same set-up and let it roll 10' and then pull on the cable as hard as you can-----bet the scale goes way above 100#

Bingo we have a winner :woohoo: when I was pulling garden tractor there was a sled that had a load cell on the chain the tractors weight was 1050lb with driver and the sled itself weight was 4500lb I got 9th place that pull and the guy running the sled was telling everyone what the total drag weight was mine was like 6980 lb.
My point is that we are pulling more weight than what the sled actualy weigh.

Dale

Dale

now i was ok with everything you said till we got to this lol. thats like saying my fat ass weighs more than what the scale acutually says. where is that extra weight coming from? a 30,000 lb sled still weights the same at the end of a sled pull.

Travis, you're throwing aero drag out the window and that's not trivial IMHO. Plus I believe the acceleration rates are quite high throughout the pass. Add those two and the load is significant.

Not taking a side here just saying you'd have to put numbers to it, to be fair and accurate. Just winging something off the cuff is what a lot of people on both sides are doing here (and obviously it's not getting anywhere)....

Very true, but you can only come up with that at a given speed, so like 148 mph is one while lesser speeds it less. Plus the cross section of the truck is something I can only guesstimate on. Air density is constant (to a point) and drag coefficient again can only be guesstimates at around .5

I understand throwing something off the cuff isn't need anymore in this thread than dolly parton needin a boob job. But the Fp of our trucks is hard to determine due to the fact info isnt there. Either way, there are alot mreo things here that people need to see. I jstu figured I'd state one.

now i was ok with everything you said till we got to this lol. thats like saying my fat ass weighs more than what the scale acutually says. where is that extra weight coming from? a 30,000 lb sled still weights the same at the end of a sled pull.

excaple..

you truck weight ~6,000lb you can shove round the parking lot wiht not much effort..under 1,000lb of force to move it.

take the same truck put it on a skid and drag it aroudn the parking lot.. the load wieght will be alot more then 6,000lb for force to move it

its alot easiy to move you fat ass ina wheelbarrow then grab you by the collar and drag your ass across the floor.

As the sled comes up the pan of the sled digs further into the ground. so now u are pulling the sled weight plus the ditch the sled it making

It is called friction and the is dirt that is in front of the pan thrown there by the truck it is like pulling a tractor blade and also if the track is soft the sled tires will sink also Witch mean it takes more force to move it to.

Dale

Yep sound good to me O that is what we are soppost to be talking about.

Dale

Bingo we have a winner :woohoo: when I was pulling garden tractor there was a sled that had a load cell on the chain the tractors weight was 1050lb with driver and the sled itself weight was 4500lb I got 9th place that pull and the guy running the sled was telling everyone what the total drag weight was mine was like 6980 lb.

Dale

Dale, I don't think this is correct. The total force in the chain is a vector quantity and can be resolved into a horizontal force (the pulling force) and a vertical force (the one that does nothing but squat the rear and lift the nose). You can resolve this easily if you know the length of the chain and the hitch height. You might also need to know the attachment point to the sled to get it exactly.

So you cannot be pulling more than the sled itself weighs, that's impossible. You have to take the vertical force component out of it to get the true force being developed by the truck's forward motion.

On edit, the weight of the dirt can be added to whatever the sled load is, that is correct.

Any one ever caught the pulling on ESPN, at the start of each class it gives the sled starting weight as well as what it would be equivalent to at the end, for the 4wd trucks I think the start weight is like 48,000lbs, and at the end it is equivalent to 180,000lbs. This is comparable to what BBD would go through during a run

Dale, I don't think this is correct. The total force in the chain is a vector quantity and can be resolved into a horizontal force (the pulling force) and a vertical force (the one that does nothing but squat the rear and lift the nose). You can resolve this easily if you know the length of the chain and the hitch height. You might also need to know the attachment point to the sled to get it exactly.

So you cannot be pulling more than the sled itself weighs, that's impossible. You have to take the vertical force component out of it to get the true force being developed by the truck's forward motion.

On edit, the weight of the dirt can be added to whatever the sled load is, that is correct.

I wonder if that 6980 number came from trying to jerk the sled, or some bouncing?