Billet Rods

Any one ever caught the pulling on ESPN, at the start of each class it gives the sled starting weight as well as what it would be equivalent to at the end, for the 4wd trucks I think the start weight is like 48,000lbs, and at the end it is equivalent to 180,000lbs. This is comparable to what BBD would go through during a run

I find those numbers impossible to believe. 180k?

How does the sled more than triple its own starting weight?

Maybe 180k "equivalent" rolling resistance (like on wheels)?

I'm not pickin' on ya but the last ESPN broadcast I saw was staffed by reporters that were, how should I say it, ah....reporters.

Thats what I meant to say, I should have explained it better. I would also say that those numbers come from the sled operator.

I wonder if that 6980 number came from trying to jerk the sled, or some bouncing?

That is what it was at the end of the pull his set up flooted just like a scale does doesn't hold the highest no.like you stated when starting out if you jurk it.

Dale

wow...sled puller intelect is remarkable!

Lets try this from a different angle...

Take two identical trucks...heck...make it even more simple...take the same truck and...

Run a 1/4 mile...hard boosted launch...high 10's...85 psi boost...bury the egt gauge...etc etc.

Hook a sled...drag it 300 plus feet...85 psi boost...bury the egt gauge...etc...etc.

Run a load dyno...or at least a Dynoject 240d...4 seconds...83 psi boost (some of us get close to track or sled boost using a trick or two like the BRAKES)...bury the EGT gauge...etc etc...

OK...so what truck has more power?

According to "youall" it is obviously the sled puller...

wow...sled puller intelect is remarkable!

Lets try this from a different angle...

Take two identical trucks...heck...make it even more simple...take the same truck and...

Run a 1/4 mile...hard boosted launch...high 10's...85 psi boost...bury the egt gauge...etc etc.

Hook a sled...drag it 300 plus feet...85 psi boost...bury the egt gauge...etc...etc.

Run a load dyno...or at least a Dynoject 240d...4 seconds...83 psi boost (some of us get close to track or sled boost using a trick or two like the BRAKES)...bury the EGT gauge...etc etc...

OK...so what truck has more power?

According to "youall" it is obviously the sled puller...

That is not the what is being said who has more power. it is witch one has the most strain put on the motor and truck pulling or dragracing.That is the ?????????

Maybe I am oversimplifying this.

If the engine is able to accelerate, you have not loaded it until the point where it can't accerlerate(remember rev gain?)
If the engine is loaded so it decelerates, which application is exerting more torque on the crank?

Maybe I am oversimplifying this.

If the engine is able to accelerate, you have not loaded it until the point where it can't accerlerate(remember rev gain?)
If the engine is loaded so it decelerates, which application is exerting more torque on the crank?

Makes sense to me, especially on midrange trucks.

Now with the SS and Mod trucks, some lose enough traction at the end that the motors don't drag down as hard as a street struck. So to me, it's hard to tell exactly what's going on there.

Or is it as simple as the max load is at the point of minimum rpm (after you get off the line of course).

You do see a lot of tractor engines go bang when the clutch fully engages or shortly thereafter.

I thought about breaking this up into a couple of threads since there's a couple of topics...but I can't figure out where to start. LOL

Makes sense to me, especially on midrange trucks.

Now with the SS and Mod trucks, some lose enough traction at the end that the motors don't drag down as hard as a street struck. So to me, it's hard to tell exactly what's going on there.

Or is it as simple as the max load is at the point of minimum rpm (after you get off the line of course).

You do see a lot of tractor engines go bang when the clutch fully engages or shortly thereafter.

You did mention the magic word, if it drops rpm at all because of loading, you have exceeded the power output of the engine. I didn't say torque output of the engine. Use that magic formula and your pulling it down. So torque is increasing if you figure the HP stays the same, or at least if it(HP) decreases at a rate slower than the rpm drops.

I think what some people on here are forgetting, these aren't the same components. A 5.9 pulling motor and a 5.9 drag motor are different. The compression is usually different and certainly the cranks are.

A sled pulling crank has weight added. I have been told upwards of 100 lbs. So, for a pulling motor to make the same hp as a drag motor, it needs to have more cylinder pressure. Or for this long thread, more stress.

So, in an earlier statement that cylinder pressures are equal for a drag motor and a sled pulling motor, is incorrect at the higher levels of competition. Lower levels (2.8 and lower) yeah, probably close. 3.0 I would assume is probably the cross roads and pro mods, are certainly different.

I think what some people on here are forgetting, these aren't the same components. A 5.9 pulling motor and a 5.9 drag motor are different. The compression is usually different and certainly the cranks are.

A sled pulling crank has weight added. I have been told upwards of 100 lbs. So, for a pulling motor to make the same hp as a drag motor, it needs to have more cylinder pressure. Or for this long thread, more stress.

So, in an earlier statement that cylinder pressures are equal for a drag motor and a sled pulling motor, is incorrect at the higher levels of competition. Lower levels (2.8 and lower) yeah, probably close. 3.0 I would assume is probably the cross roads and pro mods, are certainly different.
Not sure where you get your info at but sounds to me you should'nt believe everything you hear. 100lbs I don't even know of anybody with a weighted crank that pulls

I agree with you IF you include the time component.

I think it's been demonstrated that rotating weight doesn't affect power output, just the rate at which is accelerates and decelerates.

It would take more cylinder pressure for a given time to spin up a heavy crank.

I agree with you IF you include the time component.

I think it's been demonstrated that rotating weight doesn't affect power output, just the rate at which is accelerates and decelerates.

It would take more cylinder pressure for a given time to spin up a heavy crank.

Are you going to run pro stock with Usa East this year?

Ok folks....try to keep the on topic. Whatever the hell it is at this point.

DO NOT get in here swinging your dick and then go hit the report button. Thats not how it works.

Thats all....carry on.

I think what some people on here are forgetting, these aren't the same components.

****A 5.9 pulling motor and a 5.9 drag motor are different. ****

That is a very bold statement, on this thread.

However, one I agree with as do Diesel Monster, by reading his posts.

Sledpuller "I agree also" Ye I know I'm knowbody soo what I say don't matter.

Dale

Not sure where you get your info at but sounds to me you should'nt believe everything you hear. 100lbs I don't even know of anybody with a weighted crank that pulls

I don't know were there is any 100lb extra weighted cranks but I do know a few 25lb weighted ones out there.

Dale

Not full load? Its 40,000 pounds, thats goes from rolling /slight drag resistance, to full on dragging resistance.
If anything its 100% load, to 200% load.

You racers would blow your shorts if you had to tow a 10,000 camper trailer down the 1/4 mile.

Actually try a 10K trailer up a 6.5% grade from a standing start at over 5000 feet and temp at 85+ for a mile and then come and talk to me. Do that in less than 48 seconds or so at 2000 degrees on the pyro. Camp trailer on a 1/4 mile piece of cake.

I've set here and read this entire thread. What I've learned is there are several big time pullers whose trucks make in the neighborhood of 1900hp. I'd like to see one of those on a dyno, that's a lot of power. I don't pull, I've done the 10K trailer up a mtn a couple of years on a modded daily driver truck and it's not good on the motor. From what I've seen watching sled pulling it looks to me to be much harder on a truck then drag racing. I don't know about the lightly modded daily driver type trucks who run 13's drag racing and the stock classes pulling, but for the big hp trucks seems like a lot of them break.

I personally don't get it, obviously don't have the puller gene. To me it's about as exciting as watching paint dry. Dock Boy's statement about having too many teeth to be a puller is funny. I like Paul Breedlove's better. "I didn't drive 300 miles to go 300' at 30 miles an hour once". That pretty much sums up my feeling about sled pulling. But it is definitely popular in the eastern half of this country. Diesel drag racing doesn't draw near the crowds that pullers do. I think a lot of that is drag racing fans like really fast passes and most of the diesel trucks are not that fast. Pulls have been popular for a long time in the eastern half of the country and they are not hung up on speed. They get to see a lot of smoke and dust and noisy as hell. Lots of rigs breaking too. Whatever it is it's working and more power to you pullers. I personally don't understand it but I do have a college edgeamacation and all my teeth,:D