Billet Rods

Im going to reply to this because i have experience both pulling and drag racing my daily driver.

There is nothing like pulling a sled. I feel like drag racing my truck is much easier on it than pulling it any day. That is the reason driveline parts fail much more often in a pulling application.

A dana 70 will break under 400hp on a puller, but will hold 1500hp on the strip... Doesent that tell you something?

And for those of you saying the transfer case being in 4 low is multiplying the torque.... Take a Dana 70, put it in a pulling truck, and let them run the high side of the transfer case and see how long it holds. It wont hold long under much HP, ill tell you that.

Its pretty simple that dragging 40k lbs is much more stress that pulling 6k lbs down the strip In my opinion.

Actually try a 10K trailer up a 6.5% grade from a standing start at over 5000 feet and temp at 85+ for a mile and then come and talk to me. Do that in less than 48 seconds or so at 2000 degrees on the pyro.

One word, Brutal.

(2000 degrees for 48 seconds?And they call the sled pullers, under educated?:hehe:)

Im going to reply to this because i have experience both pulling and drag racing my daily driver.

There is nothing like pulling a sled. I feel like drag racing my truck is much easier on it than pulling it any day. That is the reason driveline parts fail much more often in a pulling application.

A dana 70 will break under 400hp on a puller, but will hold 1500hp on the strip... Doesent that tell you something?

And for those of you saying the transfer case being in 4 low is multiplying the torque.... Take a Dana 70, put it in a pulling truck, and let them run the high side of the transfer case and see how long it holds. It wont hold long under much HP, ill tell you that.

Its pretty simple that dragging 40k lbs is much more stress that pulling 6k lbs down the strip In my opinion.
Agreed------What these guys dont realize I have pulled my trucks in high range all the time.Most guys will not do that because of the stress and man have I ever tore stuff up.Drag racing the same trucks I have never broke nothing!

One word, Brutal.

(2000 degrees for 48 seconds?And they call the sled pullers, under educated?:hehe:)
48 seconds-----I've done that across the country LOL---Like I tell everybody-"I watch the pyrometer and glance at the road".

I personally don't get it, obviously don't have the puller gene. To me it's about as exciting as watching paint dry. Dock Boy's statement about having too many teeth to be a puller is funny. I like Paul Breedlove's better. "I didn't drive 300 miles to go 300' at 30 miles an hour once". That pretty much sums up my feeling about sled pulling. But it is definitely popular in the eastern half of this country. Diesel drag racing doesn't draw near the crowds that pullers do. I think a lot of that is drag racing fans like really fast passes and most of the diesel trucks are not that fast. .

I personally don't understand it but I do have a college edgeamacation and all my teeth,:D

Dockboys opinion doesn't matter much as he can't get any engine to live past the DREAM stage, and we all know his somewhat addled state of mind.:kick:

Breedlove, well, I'm sure the fighter pilots think we are all boring.

Having done both, you said it right, racing is not even remotely interesting until 200MPH+.Watching even a150 MPH truck going 1/4 mile, you cant tell if its 150 or 15.
I raced a dually into the finals one day at 98 MPH. I could have ate a sandwich and had a beer going down the strip.:bang

One huge reason the Diesel truck pulling caught on so fast, is we pounded the gasser trash at the pulls in the early days with slightly modified street trucks, vs dedicated pullers of the 460/454 variety. Talk about standing ovations.
The racers can't claim that. And, if one or two can, there was nobody their to SEE IT. We were doing this in front of crowds of 5-10,000 at county fairs, 2-3 nights a week. We went from no Diesel classes at all, to several at each fair in a couple years, across about 6 states.

You elitist "educated" guys like to sit around and brag about this or that with the numbers, lookit, I did .0123 beyond .568, reaction this dial in that,blah blah, who cares?

Where do the racing fans sit? AT THE LAUNCH. Not too many drag strips have stands at the traps, do they?

How long is a pulling track, 300', the entire action is RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE FANS.
They are seeing absolute maximum power and effort, right in their faces, not a 1/4 mile away. Give me WOL Sprints on a 3/8 oval over a super speedway.

As a motor sport fan of all kinds, that seems pretty smart to me, regardless of tooth count.:hehe:

It is still torque multiplication. First gear in the dodge tranny is 2.45, transfer case is 2.72. Not gonna be too many guys get above the 2.45 ratio pulling on the high side of the case.

I do agree that the pulling exerts more torque on the crank/rods etc.

I thought about your post I should have wrote u a message on one of the rods :hehe: you will be very satisfied I can assure u that.
Brandon

Your right!

This set of Woodruff's showed up yesterday, and they are simply awsome!

It is still torque multiplication. First gear in the dodge tranny is 2.45, transfer case is 2.72. Not gonna be too many guys get above the 2.45 ratio pulling on the high side of the case.

I do agree that the pulling exerts more torque on the crank/rods etc.

Oh yeah, i know its still torque multiplication. Anything under a 1:1 ratio is torque multiplication though and some of these guys are acting like the low side of the t-case is whats making the difference in torque, so i say run a low gear in the high side.

The gear ratio has nothing to do with any of it anyways, the fact is, that it loads the motor much more. When you cant accelerate any more, and its pulling you down. THATS a load. You can always accelerate until your on the governor at the drag strip.

What about the Crower rods, are they I beam or H design? Anyone had any experience with them?

You can lead a horse to water...but you can't make it drink...

I am out of this one.

One last clue...just cause the TQ is higher at the rear axle...hence the breaking of Dana 70's comments...does not mean the engine is seeing more load. Its called gearing.

You can lead a horse to water...but you can't make it drink...

I am out of this one.

One last clue...just cause the TQ is higher at the rear axle...hence the breaking of Dana 70's comments...does not mean the engine is seeing more load. Its called gearing.

If the engine is being pulled down you are exceeding the power output of the engine. If the engine is able to accelerate your engine is not loaded as heavy.

Sled pulling BY FAR puts more stress on the engine and the entire truck than drag racing. I have drag raced my truck numerous times before I turned it into a dedicated puller. Never broke anything while drag racing except buring the clutch up on a back to back run. A good example of how much stress is on components and engines while pulling would be when I broke the spider gears in my limited slip on the last hook of the '07 season. There was so much traction on the dirt and with the weight of the sled bringing the truck to a stop at the end of the track, as soon as it reached the end, the limited slip just gave up due to the amount of load exerted on the rear axle. And yes, that amount of twisting force exerted on the rest of the drivetrain especially the crankshaft, was much greater than anytime I took it down a drag strip.

Another good example would be with clutch types. How many guys need double disk clutches to run down the drag strip is to get the power to the ground? I never knew how much force could be applied to an engine until I hooked it to the sled and burned up my single disk clutch. It took two passes down a drag strip within 10 minutes of each run and the clutch slipped, still good and driveable, replaced clutch not long after. When clutch was replaced, it took one pass and only 130' to completely ruin the new one where it wouldn't hold practically at all. So, common sense tells me that when a clutch is ruined in only 130' with 40K+ of load behind it compared to a clutch ruined in 2640'(distance of both drag runs) with only 7.5K behind it, well, you do the math......sled pulling wins in the amount of stress exerted on the engine.:shake:

As for traction, in some of Diesel Tech's previous posts he mentions the tires spinning and loss of load, of course the tires are going to spin on a pulling track, it's frickin' dirt dude, not pavement.:poke: The load is clearly increasing as the weight moves forward hence slowing and eventually stopping the truck. Just cuz the tires are spinning on the dirt track doesn't mean the load is gone.

Just my $.02

Joe

Can you get some pictures?????

Well, to get some sanity back to this thread.......

These photos just don't do them justice, here's a few with the monotherm piston I'm going to be using. This combo should be crazy strong.

010.jpg

011.jpg

014.jpg

Dockboys opinion doesn't matter much as he can't get any engine to live past the DREAM stage, and we all know his somewhat addled state of mind.:kick:

Ya know, some nights I DREAM of being a Bigtime sledpuller like Gene...............

Then I am awaken by horrible nightmare visions................
10794088_tml.jpg

deliverance-01.jpg

deliverance.jpg

:hehe: :hehe: