Billet Rods

So who applies more pressure to a piston drag racers or sled pullers :evil

Sorry couldn't resisit :hehe:

One word, Brutal.

(2000 degrees for 48 seconds?And they call the sled pullers, under educated?:hehe:)

First time I went to Montana to do the pull I rode up the hill with John Kennedy of Kennedy Diesel to try and get the hang of it. I asked him what his egt's were and his response was, "I don't look". I did and the gauge was buried on a 2000 degree pyro. Next year they wouldn't let us run the mile do to the speeds we were hitting. Did zero to 60 up the hill. Not nearly as exciting.

So who applies more pressure to a piston drag racers or sled pullers :evil
Sorry couldn't resisit :hehe:

Welllll, since you ask Scott, Pullers hands down.
Why? How?
Diesel tech INSISTS the racers are at 1400HP.

Diesel Monster has stated several times the pullers top truck is 1900, and asked, with no answer, I might add, what racer is at that level?

So I would say a 500 HP difference is worth a bit more pressure, eh?.
I think if I was in the market for rods, I'd be doing research on the ones in the 1900 HP engine.

Why? How?

Diesel Monster has stated several times the pullers top truck is 1900, and asked, with no answer, I might add, what racer is at that level?

I think if I was in the market for rods, I'd be doing research on the ones in the 1900 HP engine.

:clap:

Why? How?

only thing wrong i see n your post is that drag racers ARE at 1400hp well actually 1450. Chris dynoed 1450 at the wheels and runs low low tens in a full sized truck with no weight taken out. you cant tell me that jimmy smith aint at that level either. one thing you have to remember is that most of us drag racers cant run the same setup as the pullers, no way we would be able to sit at the lights that long and spool up and so on. there are absolutely drag racers making bigger numbers than what you think.

one thing you have to remember is that most of us drag racers cant run the same setup as the pullers, no way we would be able to sit at the lights that long and spool up and so on. .

Now you as a racer are saying the opposite of what Steve has posted at least 6 times in this thread,(IM not going to find it, but trust me its back there.)

Steve insisted the motors are same same. You are saying they are not. We(the pullers) have said they are different also.

So, Steve is wrong on sled weight as well as engine HP comparisons, between pullers and racers, is that what you are saying?

Keep in mind, my side of the argument was quite simply, Modified Pulling engines put more strain on the blocks than the top of the line racers.

And there is nothing wrong with that, but it was a necessary point that needed made, to decide if Steves rods had had sufficient testing to be put in Scotts pulling engine, which was the point of the entire thread.

only thing wrong i see n your post is that drag racers ARE at 1400hp well actually 1450. Chris dynoed 1450 at the wheels and runs low low tens in a full sized truck with no weight taken out. you cant tell me that jimmy smith aint at that level either. one thing you have to remember is that most of us drag racers cant run the same setup as the pullers, no way we would be able to sit at the lights that long and spool up and so on. there are absolutely drag racers making bigger numbers than what you think.

Are we really going to get so nit picky that a 1400 hp statement gets called out because he was 50 hp off?

Come on now. We are talking about a 1900+ hp engine to a 1449+ hp engine. Cylinder pressures are not the same. Who cares if Gene was off less than 1%????

So, Steve is wrong on sled weight as well as engine HP comparisons, between pullers and racers, is that what you are saying?
correct. the highest number i have seen on a drag truck is 1450 from werner. havent seen Ts numbers nor will i see Smiths numbers but i can assure you they are not at the level of hp as the big mod pullers. yes jimmy smith does have a scheid motor but i am pretty sure it dont have a sigma nor all the other goodies the big mod pullers have. no way a drag race diesel truck is at 1900hp level or morel

Are we really going to get so nit picky that a 1400 hp statement gets called out because he was 50 hp off?

Come on now. We are talking about a 1900+ hp engine to a 1449+ hp engine. Cylinder pressures are not the same. Who cares if Gene was off less than 1%????

re read my statement . i was agreeing with him:bang:bang:bang

All I can find on Chris Werner is a dyno run video and a cage fight.
Has he been to the track?

I was quoting the 1400 HP, If its wrong, not my fault. Seems like thats wrong too from the guy I was quoting. This is a bad thread for him. Just keeps getting proven wrong, page after page.:doh::doh:

re read it and it really sounds like Gene is saying there is NO drag race motor that high and i was simply correcting that. i was 100% agreeing that the hp between the big mod pullers and drag racers are not even a comparison

You would have to see one up close, but that area above the piston is the strongest part of the piston, on the inside it angles up towards the crown.
It will NEVER fail there, just too much meat. I wouldn't change a thing there.

I wouldn't of minded a bit more steel under the pin, But they have held up in John Robinson's F-car doing 5000 rpm burn outs....I won't be seeing those rpm's for a while.

The whole idea behind the steel monotherms is handling more cylinder pressure, I don't doubt it a bit.

In the big diesels I can't even imagine running a aluminum crown, steel steel steel....

One cat we had ran so hot that it would simple melt the turbines down in the turbo's, yet NEVER had a cylinder issue.

Even the older cummins n-14's you can get the monotherm retrofit kit for them and change them up to the single piece steel piston instead of the dual piece steel crown/aluminum skirt.

Are these more for comp. only or can you DD with them?

So a 1450 hp drag truck on nitrous can only do 11 second runs?

With an injector change, it gets driven from California to Idaho.

Pretty cool.

So a 1450 hp drag truck on nitrous can only do 11 second runs?

With an injector change, it gets driven from California to Idaho.

Pretty cool.
10.43 at 131mph on fuel only. has not made a full pass with the extra 450hp. read gene read lol.