Billet Rods

Oh yeah, i know its still torque multiplication. Anything under a 1:1 ratio is torque multiplication though and some of these guys are acting like the low side of the t-case is whats making the difference in torque, so i say run a low gear in the high side.

The gear ratio has nothing to do with any of it anyways, the fact is, that it loads the motor much more. When you cant accelerate any more, and its pulling you down. THATS a load. You can always accelerate until your on the governor at the drag strip.

Well said

Sled pulling BY FAR puts more stress on the engine and the entire truck than drag racing. I have drag raced my truck numerous times before I turned it into a dedicated puller. Never broke anything while drag racing except buring the clutch up on a back to back run. A good example of how much stress is on components and engines while pulling would be when I broke the spider gears in my limited slip on the last hook of the '07 season. There was so much traction on the dirt and with the weight of the sled bringing the truck to a stop at the end of the track, as soon as it reached the end, the limited slip just gave up due to the amount of load exerted on the rear axle. And yes, that amount of twisting force exerted on the rest of the drivetrain especially the crankshaft, was much greater than anytime I took it down a drag strip.

Another good example would be with clutch types. How many guys need double disk clutches to run down the drag strip is to get the power to the ground? I never knew how much force could be applied to an engine until I hooked it to the sled and burned up my single disk clutch. It took two passes down a drag strip within 10 minutes of each run and the clutch slipped, still good and driveable, replaced clutch not long after. When clutch was replaced, it took one pass and only 130' to completely ruin the new one where it wouldn't hold practically at all. So, common sense tells me that when a clutch is ruined in only 130' with 40K+ of load behind it compared to a clutch ruined in 2640'(distance of both drag runs) with only 7.5K behind it, well, you do the math......sled pulling wins in the amount of stress exerted on the engine.:shake:

As for traction, in some of Diesel Tech's previous posts he mentions the tires spinning and loss of load, of course the tires are going to spin on a pulling track, it's frickin' dirt dude, not pavement.:poke: The load is clearly increasing as the weight moves forward hence slowing and eventually stopping the truck. Just cuz the tires are spinning on the dirt track doesn't mean the load is gone.

Just my $.02

Joe

Hmmmm isnt the clutch at a 1 to 1 ratio?How would you burn it up quicker pulling than racing without the gear reductions.Very good point redpuller!!!!

If the engine is being pulled down you are exceeding the power output of the engine. If the engine is able to accelerate your engine is not loaded as heavy.

What keeps a drag truck from accelerating more quickly? The force required to move the mass more rapidly is greater than the one available...same thing!

Well, to get some sanity back to this thread.......

These photos just don't do them justice, here's a few with the monotherm piston I'm going to be using. This combo should be crazy strong.

010.jpg

011.jpg

014.jpg

Think I have seen them before somewhere....

Look awesome everytime I seem them though! You'll like them!

Hmmmm isnt the clutch at a 1 to 1 ratio?How would you burn it up quicker pulling than racing without the gear reductions.Very good point redpuller!!!!

Just doin' my part on the explaination of why pulling is harder/more stressful on engines than drag racing.LOL

Joe

These photos just don't do them justice, here's a few with the monotherm piston I'm going to be using. This combo should be crazy strong.

010.jpg

011.jpg

014.jpg

looks like cunninghams to me

If the engine is being pulled down you are exceeding the power output of the engine. If the engine is able to accelerate your engine is not loaded as heavy.

What keeps a drag truck from accelerating more quickly? The force required to move the mass more rapidly is greater than the one available...same thing!

If it is accelerating, you are not exceeding the output of the engine, you are limiting it, but not exceeding the output of the engine.

Most of the times in sledpulling you will pull the engine down, so in that application you are exceeding the output of the engine.

It is not the same thing.

Look closer, I can see one diference and I know the bolt is slightly larger that's two differences :)

BBD

010.jpg

011.jpg

014.jpg

I don't like that piston design. Have they been run before? Look at the point right above the pin, and how little material there is to spread the load out to the rest of the piston. I mean it could be a great piston.

I don't like that piston design. Have they been run before? Look at the point right above the pin, and how little material there is to spread the load out to the rest of the piston. I mean it could be a great piston.

x2, I know nothing about that piston, but I dont see how it can be stronger.

I know it is steel, but there is just a very small area, actually the area above where the wrist pin is is very small. I could see on a piston that had a very large diameter, and you can get the wrist pin to be under the center section.

I believe John Robinson is using these.

I know it is steel, but there is just a very small area, actually the area above where the wrist pin is is very small. I could see on a piston that had a very large diameter, and you can get the wrist pin to be under the center section.

You would have to see one up close, but that area above the piston is the strongest part of the piston, on the inside it angles up towards the crown.
It will NEVER fail there, just too much meat. I wouldn't change a thing there.

I wouldn't of minded a bit more steel under the pin, But they have held up in John Robinson's F-car doing 5000 rpm burn outs....I won't be seeing those rpm's for a while.

The whole idea behind the steel monotherms is handling more cylinder pressure, I don't doubt it a bit.

In the big diesels I can't even imagine running a aluminum crown, steel steel steel....

One cat we had ran so hot that it would simple melt the turbines down in the turbo's, yet NEVER had a cylinder issue.

Even the older cummins n-14's you can get the monotherm retrofit kit for them and change them up to the single piece steel piston instead of the dual piece steel crown/aluminum skirt.

I believe John Robinson is using these.

Yeah, he is running them, I quizzed about these pistons, seems to like them so far, I was hoping to get down and see his f-car in person that thing is sweet! The biggest thing I was worried about is RPM and if they can survive there, I'll never see rpm like that......well at least untill the stand alone ecm....

You would have to see one up close, but that area above the piston is the strongest part of the piston, on the inside it angles up towards the crown.
It will NEVER fail there, just too much meat. I wouldn't change a thing there.

I wouldn't of minded a bit more steel under the pin, But they have held up in John Robinson's F-car doing 5000 rpm burn outs....I won't be seeing those rpm's for a while.

The whole idea behind the steel monotherms is handling more cylinder pressure, I don't doubt it a bit.

In the big diesels I can't even imagine running a aluminum crown, steel steel steel....

One cat we had ran so hot that it would simple melt the turbines down in the turbo's, yet NEVER had a cylinder issue.

Even the older cummins n-14's you can get the monotherm retrofit kit for them and change them up to the single piece steel piston instead of the dual piece steel crown/aluminum skirt.
More pictures!

What is the weight diff between them and a set of forged aluminum?