Billet Rods

If you spent way more than $60,000. on youe engine I figure you should be well into the 6 second range---again good luck with that!!Because you are not where you want to be in this sport,PLEASE do not try to discredit guys like Corey , Eric , or Woodruff as these guys are truly leaders in the diesel world as we know it.

Gene, your pretty observant :)

With that being said, I would like to recognize, thank, and welcome the newest member of team BigBadDodge and that would be “Woodruff Diesel” Thanks guy’s.

BBD
AWSOME JOB SCOTT----Great people over there in ohio!

Although no engine dynamometers are designed specifically for insane horsepower diesels, the finished engine put out an impressive 1,903 hp at 5,300 rpm on J. Fink Equipment's dyno in Polk, Ohio. And, while the finished engine doesn't have a set price tag, Woodruff mentioned that Cory's engine cost well over $65,000 to build.

it has been dynoed

We are not talking Chris' truck, I know Chris' truck. We're talking aboout 1900 hp on #2. Any why wouldn't anyone want so see some proof of that. By the way, Chris' truck isn't that fast for the hp he makes on the dyno.

thats like me saying the truck in your sig is slow as hell for having twins on it:poke: if your telling me that a full size , full weight truck that runs 10.43 on FUEL ONLY and drives it everyday, is slow, then you sir are retarded. he has not made a full pass with the extra 450hp on tap.

Back to the math, study this for a while, and tell me, is the math wrong since the rail cars all roll?

The designers determined that to pull a 3600 ton(7,200,000 pounds) train, a tractive effort of 135,000 lbs would be needed.

Assuming a factor of adhesion of 4.0, the weight on drivers would have to be 4.0 * 135,000 = 540,000 lbs. Given an axle loading of 67,500 lbs each, this would require 8 drivers or an x-8-8-x wheel arrangement. The designers agreed upon the 4-8-8-4 design.

Next, the horsepower and cylinder sizes were computed based on 300 psi boiler pressure. Although they weren't planning to pull these freight trains at 80 MPH, the DoRMS designed them for 80 MPH in order to have a sufficient factor of safety built into the design. What resulted is considered by many to be the most successful articulated steam locomotive ever built. 4000 was delivered to Omaha at 6PM, September 5, 1941. :

I've kind of bushwacked this thread and for that I appologize, but this seems to be a critical part of the billet rods discussion.

That happened long before you posted.....And over, and over, and over again..

If you spent way more than $60,000. on youe engine I figure you should be well into the 6 second range---again good luck with that!!Because you are not where you want to be in this sport,PLEASE do not try to discredit guys like Corey , Eric , or Woodruff as these guys are truly leaders in the diesel world as we know it.

I did not say my engine, I said truck, I have two full built race engines and they didn't cost 60K pretty close for the two of them however. I'm including everything. I'm not trying to discredit anyone, I sure they are on the cutting edge of their sport. I'LL SAY IT ONE LAST TIME, I'D LIKE TO SEE SOMETHING BESIDES SOMEONE'S WORD THAT ONE OF ALL OF THESE TRUCK MAKES SUSTAINED FOR A LEAST A FEW SECONDS1900 HP WITH STRAIGHT #2 AND REAL AIR. That's all.:bang And if you took a 1900 hp engine and could get your truck set for racing and say get one of your pulling trucks down to 7200 lbs or so it would be 8.3, 160mph truck truck. If I had that much in mine it would be a 7.7, 172 mile truck. Were hoping for the low 10's to start and maybe get it into the high 9 when we get the bugs worked out. That #2 and turbos only.

Last edited:
And you were there? Or you just being a Toady?

I worked on Cory's truck and was a memeber of the team. I'm no longer with the team anymore as I have moved on but I worked on Cory's truck and spoke with Eric on his from time to time along with Curt and Van Hailsey, Shane Kellogg and others. Erik and Cory are two of the most stand up guys in the industry. They are willing to try it all. Josh is also one of them willing to push the limits, such as seeing 7720 rpms and the bottom end holding together. The dyno sheets have been seen, people know what the trucks put down. The magazine did discredit the dyno as it broke before a final number could be given. But, never the less at least those numbers were put down. I went with the truck everywhere it went this summer. Josh asked me if he thought I had seen a 10% increase in power with the truck as the end of the season. I think so. The 1903hp reading was done completely untuned.

These guys have never once questioned anything you did subman. You got more than 60k into an engine and it ain't running yet? I question you ideas if you need mroe than 60k to build a simple drag racing motor. Granted if you started with a Sigma pump you maybe slightly higher but I doubt your Dmax needs one of them.

Subman, you say you have a race truck and yet you question these guys? Diesel Monster told me once "everyone in this sport has an ego. if they tell you they don't they are lying. We wouldn't do any of this if we didn't have some sort of ego its jsut a matter of keeing it all in check" I know we got an ego and as someone said earlier, magazines are usually wrong so what is these engines do have more than 60k in them? Did you work on them? Ever touch the billet block. Have to replace a junked push rod after staying up all night working on the thing to get it to a pull in 4 hours in Indy? Didn't think so. You don't have any clue whats in these motors. As expensive as some of the parts are, you wouldn't believe on what some of them actually are. Your playing in a league that you can't keep up in. Erik said it politely, I'll be a little bit more blunt, don't discredit the guys that make you do look like childs play or did it 10 years ago, your out of your league!

thats like me saying the truck in your sig is slow as hell for having twins on it:poke: if your telling me that a full size , full weight truck that runs 10.43 on FUEL ONLY and drives it everyday, is slow, then you sir are retarded. he has not made a full pass with the extra 450hp on tap.
Your in Fresno, maybe you and Chris will have a chance to come to Fallon Nevada for the NHRDA race the 30th of May. You are right, haven't seen Chris' truck drag race with the additional 450 hp. What does Chris' truck weigh? If he was making 1000 hp to the ground and his et was 10.43 (I don't know the DA was) that would make the weight of his truck around 7300lbs. I'd bet he at least 6-700 lbs lighter than that. That truck should easy be in the 9's. Don't know if you looked lately 10.4 isn't very fast anymore.

GSM-01 your right if you call sled pulling a league I'm certainly not a player. I do know a little about diesels engines, albeit not near enough. All I'm saying is show me. If I were one of these guys and I sure they all great guys, most diesel guys are I'd want to have some proof. Hell you can blank out the graph and just show the hp and torque numbers with dyno type, correction factor and signed by who operated it. That's good enough for me, sure as hell wouldn't be giving away any secrets. And maybe get a little credibility outside your small circle. Until that time, I'm from Missouri.

Your in Fresno, maybe you and Chris will have a chance to come to Fallon Nevada for the NHRDA race the 30th of May. You are right, haven't seen Chris' truck drag race with the additional 450 hp. What does Chris' truck weigh? If he was making 1000 hp to the ground and his et was 10.43 (I don't know the DA was) that would make the weight of his truck around 7300lbs. I'd bet he at least 6-700 lbs lighter than that. That truck should easy be in the 9's. Don't know if you looked lately 10.4 isn't very fast anymore.
i am sure hoping to be there in may. i am planning on makin my drag trucks debute at the J and H diesel rally in june but that fallon race would be fun as well. like i said about chris truck, extended cab 4x4 at FULL WEIGHT. not gutted, nothing. its his daily driver. to take a truck and run in to the 9s is not EASY as you say in a full sized truck with full weight. how may have actually dont that? please enlighten me? and as far as you saying that 10.4 aint fast any more, well neither is a twin turbo d max that only runs 12.6

I just find it very difficult to believe a 5.9 liter engine can make that kind of hp on straight #2, 6000 rpm or not for any length of time. You can pm me with the info if you want. I just think it needs to be validated. That my last post on this. Would like to be able not to call BS on this.

Subman you are correct.....I would not believe a 5.9 could run #2 an 6000rpm for any length of time an make 1900 hp.....trust me we tried it we probably melted down a total of atleast 6 motors, 6 years ago trying to do it what you are forgetting is when we leave the line with 100+psi is that our motor doesn't get much above 1400 to 1500 degrees, how is that? well it's a neat little thing called water, you might have heard of it??? About 70.8% of the earth (which is where you live if I'm correct?) surface is covered with it. Now, a 5.9 Billet block, with a sigma fuel pump, two very large turbos, and water injection will make ATLEAST 1900 hp an live with rpms up to 6000rpm, now i know being from Oregon it may be hard to believe but it happens quite often here in Ohio, Indiana, an Kentucky area on a regular basis in the summer, check out a site called www.youtube.com and type in Erik Stacey or Smoknya heck might even want to go to our website www.smoknya.com or.....now that I give ya the recipe for making 1900 hp you might even wanna build a truck yourself and come compete?? since you think it cannot be done?? but a little word of advice were working on 2000+horse now by the time you get done with yours you might wanna aim for 2500hp because were gonna be knocking on it's doors by the end of next year I'm sure.

KNOCK, KNOCK!.......who's there?....IT'S 2500 HP....oh come on in here let us raise the body, jump on in!!

I'm sorry if I sounded out of line it's purely joking here but some people just do not know the amount of labor, money, time away from family, girlfriends, wives etc...an home that guys like Josh Woodruff, Erik Stacey, The Haisleys, The Scheids an many many more do to make this "Hobby" advance, an it is frusterating to see some people critic what they have no idea about.

Ryan Oeder

some people just do not know the amount of labor, money, time away from family, girlfriends, wives etc...an home that guys like Josh Woodruff, Erik Stacey, The Haisleys, The Scheids an many many more do to make this "Hobby" advance, an it is frusterating to see some people critic what they have no idea about.

Ryan Oeder

Well said Ryan,

BBD