Comp 64 under ht4c compound build thread

I used a_6 for my Garret, because fittings were cheaper..
There should be an orifice in the oil feed of the 4c, if there is a-4 should be fine...

I have a question about the turbo oil feed lines. Is a -4 big enough for a holset or does it need to be a - 6?

I did not realize - 4 was so small until I got them today. I'm using the M12x1.5 hole that the stock turbo uses for oil and the 1/8 npt on top for the comp turbo. - 10 for drains.

I use a -4 that goes into a extremely small 90* jic 90 on my s300 and it has blown away after some hard driving. I was nervous at first now I don't even think about it.

Did you ever get a chance to check out if my Kool tools go all the way to -10? Or did you figure something else out? They may do it down in Victoria too but if you want a true stainless braided line Wilco Supply up here in Houston can custom make them on the spot.
If you decide you want something like that instead I could get you the number/address or could even go in there and pick them up for you. Could bring them next time I come down it could mail them. Just thinking out loud...

Yes, Hatec in Victoria can make them up. But they don't have fancy anodized hose ends on them. I already bought the lines and fittings, so thanks. I may have to buy the - 10 koul tool.

I've been too busy with work to do much with this but the hot pipe and hot pipe mount is done.

Wish I would've had a mig welder cuz the 120 I paid to have my flux core welds mig'd over didn't turn out like I would've liked.

And I had the hot pipe mount line up exhaust v-band and mounting bolt perfectly till I decided to brace it up with a stick welder and warped it. :banghead:

A little grinding and enlarging the bolt holes a teeny bit got it to work.

Hot pipe

uqutujyh.jpg

More pics tomorrow. Just got to figure out the downpipe and air filter.

Hot pipe mount. It's off the engine mount, the ground for the second ground and another hole just above the ground.

umyqe8yb.jpg

evahaneg.jpg

And basically done. Just have to do a couple more bends and welds on the downpipe and clean it all up

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1389922002337.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1389922002337.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 0
Hot pipe mount. It's off the engine mount, the ground for the second ground and another hole just above the ground.

umyqe8yb.jpg

evahaneg.jpg

And basically done. Just have to do a couple more bends and welds on the downpipe and clean it all up

Looks good.
I'd triangulate it to prevent fore and aft movement as well

Well, its running. I have a oil drip or two to fix.

I have jgs's stiffest spring in the wastegate. I started out with the regulator turned all the way in. Drive was about 5 psi more than overall boost all the way to 40 psi where it started to really get out of hand. So I turned the regulator out 9 turns and it was worse. Back to 7 then to 3 turns out. Idk. I don't know what I'm doing so....

3 turns out, drive is equal to overall boost. The ht4c starts to come up around 25 psi and lights around 30-35 overall.

The first time I got the primary to light I blew a boot around 50-60 psi. Fixed that with a little hairspray and next time I blew the egt probe out. Took awhile to find out what blew and by then it was dark.

I haven't changed my tuning yet from running a single.
What should I expect from this setup and how do you know how to set up a wastegate and regulator? I'm a little over my head.
Drive is equal to boost from a standstill. And the comp turbo gets really hot. It does sing a nice song. It's blowing a little oil into the cold pipe. I'm thinking I might need a restrictor.

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk

The wastegate isn't going keep your drive and boost equal....
Drive vs. boost at peak RPM is a measurement of the system's efficiency.

I would tune the wastegate to make the truck spool as fast as possible. Usually this means keeping it closed till total boost reaches 30-35 psi. As you play with it, you'll notice the earlier you open the gate, the longer the lull or flat spot in the powerband where you basically cut the legs off the smaller turbo and you're waiting for the big turbo to take off. If you open the gate later, you'll have enough rpm and hence total exhaust flow to keep the little turbo running well even with the wastegate open and there will be enough flow and heat across the bigger HT4c's turbine for it to take off immediately and the result is a seamless linear powerband with no deadspots or lull.

When tuning, I usually like to do a few test runs with the wastegate opening as early as possible followed by some test runs with the wastegate fully closed/disabled. That way, right off the bat, you know the extremes of too much wastgating and not enough so you get an overall picture of what the compound setup is capable of.

Last edited:
Well, I seen 70 psi with 80 drive yesterday with a low tank of fuel. Guess I need to install my sump... Today with a full tank, I saw 80 psi on the way home from work. Didn't catch drive or primary boost as I was to busy driving. I think it has more power than the 72 did.

Almost a little scared of going full throttle and blowing a head gasket or breaking something now.

Sent from my LG pad

Only way to cap peak boost is to either add a wastegate on the hot pipe going to atmosphere or dump the WG you have now to atmosphere. Atmosphere can be back into the exhaust OR a separate dump.
OR pull some fuel...

That comp turbo has a .7 and a 65 turbine wheel. I think if I do anything it'll be a second wastegate as I don't want to lose power by pulling fuel. Although it seems like limiting boost with a second gate would lose some power as well. IDK

Sent from my LG pad

From a standing start it spools about as fast as I put my foot in it. If I lug it down in OD, like, say to 55-60 there's .5-2 delay. It does still have the single 72 tune on it. So maybe the spool will change a little once I add some timing.

But passing someone going 60 mph is vastly different than the 72. And going up on-ramps? With the 72 I had to start getting on it in 3rd to get some boost built up for 4th. Last night, somebody actually was ahead of me on a up sloping ramp and I got around them from about a 55 start once the ramp widened and never a down shift. Forget about that with the 72 without downshifting which I hated doing.