Dyno testing,

On a side note, if you are in the Waco area and you need to do some tuning Ultimate Motorsports can be reached at 1-254-717-9654. Appointment only.

Also, torque is low..... We are running 23 degrees timing and we have a 1.1a/r turbine housing and a LARGE runner custom exhaust manifold, and the stock head is not helping us.

Zach

Thank you Zach ! Your continued commitment to informing the customer is unsurpassed .

This makes me wish I had gone with the 188 and not the 181:nail:

Makes me wonder if I need a cam. Well not really. I do need to get a cam :doh:
I am sure when I see the stock cam dyno number v. the rest I will really think I need a cam.

Zackstockcamcompare.png

The stock cam is a lot closer than I had thought it would be. On a side not the 12v stock cam is much better than the CR stock cam. The short duration of the stock intake made decent bottom end power but fell off up top.

On the 24v and cr's we usually see a lot more difference than this. We have seen over 50hp+ over a stock cam. Another thing to think about is that with the stock head and poor flow the higher lift cams can't shine as much.

zach

Last edited:
Excellent info, now install one of your new cast heads and repeat all the cam tests... ha ha

Thanks for sharing... It is above and beyond what any other cam vendor has done in the past. :clap:

Very nice to see! As always you go above and beyond! Second thoughts on my 181/210 though, hmmm I knew it would be undersized, but didn't expect it to be that big of difference.

Trust me it still is a LOT better than the stocker. I hope we can find a way to graph power as a function of time. The stock cam took almost twice as long to finish a run. On the street that would show in a big way on a 0-100mph run.

232/252 .370"/.370" 107LSA up next. With the 66/74/1.1, I expect decent numbers up top. The other thing is that we did not take time to tune the truck into each cam or play with cam or injection timing. Also all of the cams have been within 2 or 3 psi (41-43psi) due to the external gate being set so low.
If we took the time to play a bit the numbers would look much better, but the test would have the potential to be more biased. With the way we are doing it NOTHING is changed run to run.

Trust me it still is a LOT better than the stocker. I hope we can find a way to graph power as a function of time. The stock cam took almost twice as long to finish a run. On the street that would show in a big way on a 0-100mph run.

232/252 .370"/.370" 107LSA up next. With the 66/74/1.1, I expect decent numbers up top. The other thing is that we did not take time to tune the truck into each cam or play with cam or injection timing. Also all of the cams have been within 2 or 3 psi (41-43psi) due to the external gate being set so low.
If we took the time to play a bit the numbers would look much better, but the test would have the potential to be more biased. With the way we are doing it NOTHING is changed run to run.

That right there is a big difference. You aren't changing the fueling. A cam is bringing more air to the engine. You aren't showing much inprovement on that graph, but I bet the cam would shine if you set the pump hotter or injectors etc. to bring more fuel to the table.

TIMEvsCam.png

Here is a screen shot of horsepower as a function of time. The 188/220 spools QUICK, compared to the 181/210. The downside........efficiency, and clearance. The 188/220's larger exhaust will read slightly higher egt's and the earlier opening exhaust is not as well suited for fuel economy.

stock
181/210
188/220
200/220

Last edited:
stockvs181_210.png

This shows it more clearly. The 181/210 is almost done with the run before the stock cam even starts to come on. This is the "snappy" throttle that people talk about when they install a cam. It is even more evident on Common rail swaps.

Zach

stockvs181_210.png

This shows it more clearly. The 181/210 is almost done with the run before the stock cam even starts to come on. This is the "snappy" throttle that people talk about when they install a cam. It is even more evident on Common rail swaps.

Zach

That right there is what makes me want to try a cam. Especially with our big single.