Dyno testing,

I wish I would have had the capability to graph dynos this way in the past. One peak number really doesn't show much of the full picture.

Zach

188_220vsstock.png

Here is the one I like, Our 188/220 vs stock cam on a hp vs time lapse.

If you have flycuts and/or are willing to check clearances and are okay with 75 degrees hotter EGT, the 188/220 is the cam you want.

This is the cam that quite a few drag racers are running, the dyno is showing the same thing they are reporting, the turbos spool like mad.

Zach

188_220vsstock.png

Here is the one I like, Our 188/220 vs stock cam on a hp vs time lapse.

If you have flycuts and/or are willing to check clearances and are okay with 75 degrees hotter EGT, the 188/220 is the cam you want.

This is the cam that quite a few drag racers are running, the dyno is showing the same thing they are reporting, the turbos spool like mad.

Zach

That is pretty sweet!

great info zach.. thank you for the time and info your giving to us..

to those who are upset about getting a 181 vs 188........ Zach dont sit on his arse and keep the same old product

bet in a year there will be other new designs to get us all worked up over

TIMEvsCam.png

Here is a screen shot of horsepower as a function of time. The 188/220 spools QUICK, compared to the 181/210. The downside........efficiency, and clearance. The 188/220's larger exhaust will read slightly higher egt's and the earlier opening exhaust is not as well suited for fuel economy.

stock
181/210
188/220
200/220

Is the black line stock, the blue line the 181/210, the dark green 200/220, and the light green the 188/220?
Very cool, it is threads like these that make me want a Hamilton cam!

Finished runs on 5 cams. The 232/252 did not want to light on the dyno with the eddy brake on.

Zach

Send a guy named Shaun your way Zach.... He's got monotherms with .075 valve pockets as well...

listen for his call.

I would say that it would be up to the other cam manufacturers to do thier own testing. It is not up to Zach to test the competitors products

Throw an F1 cam in there for a comparison!

I think he already did a Helix 2 vrs 181/210 comparison a while back. You might want to do some searching.

Great job Zach. Sounds like the 181/210 still makes alot of sense for a daily driven truck. I'm still not clear on how this would work with the head porting. Seems like the lift would be less critical than the valve timing when so little is gained above .400.

In the past we did old 181/210 vs.H2 runs and the results are posted in the "how does the 181/210 compare" thread. We did those runs because people said our cam would make no power compared to a H2. After the Dynos they still said the 181/210 would not make any power against a H2. That was when I learned that a lot of people choose cams based on how a company is percieved and how catchy the names of the cams are, not on hard facts or data. Due to this fact we will not be naming names but If we have time to run some more we will post up data. We always try to run our stuff against others to make sure we know how we stack up.

Ron,
Max lift does play into the equation, but it is definitely secondary to duration, duration at X lift and valve events.

Swole, thanks man.

Zach

Last edited:
Yes it can if you are street driving, but if you are pulling you will need more duration to make power over 3500rpm.

Here is our 188/220 vs another popular cam. One graph is time and one is hp and torque as a function of RPM. On the graph featuring time it is impossible to hit run start button exactly at the same rpm. Read the graphs with a +/- .5 second on each run.

Timevs188vscomp.png

powerovercompvs188.png

Last edited:
compstage3vs188vstime.png

compstage3vs188vshp.png

Here is how we compare to another companies stage 3 cam
The power is much closer as is the time it takes for the power to come on.