E.D. 62/68/12 writeup....

i see that chris posted up a pic of mine. that should explain things a little better.

What timing setting were you trying? Try 4 on Timing, if it pops try 1 on Timing....

I believe we tried timing on 3 and 4. If we put RP on lower levels it popped less. Overall the TNT just didn't seem to run as well as the REVO. Did you have a similar problem?

Buddy
The race cover on the S300's is the same AR as the standard 0.55AR Borg Warner cover (Sorry Forrest). The improvements come on the inlet, which now has a velocity stack inlet to direct all the incoming air into the bore. The second part is the Map width enhancement groove is moved slightly. Third the inside exducer to volute area is opened up and contoured to enhance some flow as well. The result is some increase in flow over the same size compressor. The original cover used on these was never intended to do what we do with them. Taking a few air flow cues from other areas and applying them to the cover was the thinking. Every little bit adds up.

Chris

Thanks for the pic Chris, I can see the difference on the inlet!
Every little bit adds up, I couldnt agree more!!
I have 2 other questions and bare with me but what exactly is the Map width enhancement groove and what dose it do, 2nd I think I remember you saying something about taking a 10 blade 74mm turbine wheel and machining it down to 71mm and putting it in the 13ss housing, is this something that can be done?

Thanks Chris,
Buddy

i see that chris posted up a pic of mine. that should explain things a little better

Wes...
You should be ashamed of how your under hood looks when they post a picture of your charger....LMAO!....LOL.....Andy

Thanks for the pic Chris, I can see the difference on the inlet!
Every little bit adds up, I couldnt agree more!!
I have 2 other questions and bare with me but what exactly is the Map width enhancement groove and what dose it do, 2nd I think I remember you saying something about taking a 10 blade 74mm turbine wheel and machining it down to 71mm and putting it in the 13ss housing, is this something that can be done?

Thanks Chris,
Buddy

#1 The MWE groove is an air bleed port machined in the compressor housing around the inducer bore creating an additional manner for air pressure to regulate. Surge margin is improved by re-circulating the excess pressure through the air slot away from the compressor wheel and back into the front of the compressor bore inlet when surge is imminent. The choke side of the map improves by allowing additional air into the compressor bypassing the inducer bore. These grooves allow extra air to be fed directly to the compressor wheel outside of the main choking inlet. Useable efficiency range of the compressor as well as overall air flow, hence the name, "Map Width Enhancement" grooves, it produces a wider fatter efficiency range of the compressor map, which is particularly important at lower engine Rpm.
It allows a larger compressor to be used for higher flow requirements without risking running the compressor into a dangerous surge condition.

#2 Yes the larger wheel is an upgrade when machined to fit where a 71 wheel currently runs, in almost any housing.

Chris

#1 The MWE groove is an air bleed port machined in the compressor housing around the inducer bore creating an additional manner for air pressure to regulate. Surge margin is improved by re-circulating the excess pressure through the air slot away from the compressor wheel and back into the front of the compressor bore inlet when surge is imminent. The choke side of the map improves by allowing additional air into the compressor bypassing the inducer bore. These grooves allow extra air to be fed directly to the compressor wheel outside of the main choking inlet. Useable efficiency range of the compressor as well as overall air flow, hence the name, "Map Width Enhancement" grooves, it produces a wider fatter efficiency range of the compressor map, which is particularly important at lower engine Rpm.
It allows a larger compressor to be used for higher flow requirements without risking running the compressor into a dangerous surge condition.

#2 Yes the larger wheel is an upgrade when machined to fit where a 71 wheel currently runs, in almost any housing.

Chris

Chris thanks for info man!!!!

Ok one more question and im done....:D
Would there be any advantages upgrading to that machined wheel over the normal 71 wheel, i know there probably is but just wondering if it worth doing?
Id probably have to send my charger back to ya right??

Chris thanks for info man!!!!

Ok one more question and im done....:D
Would there be any advantages upgrading to that machined wheel over the normal 71 wheel, i know there probably is but just wondering if it worth doing?
Id probably have to send my charger back to ya right??

Did you add the fuel to your truck you had been talking about? Do you have a drive pressure gauge on it? Give me a call and we can discuss if you need a change, but at this point I dont think you've maxed out what you have on there.

Chris

Wes...
You should be ashamed of how your under hood looks when they post a picture of your charger....LMAO!....LOL.....Andy

since you are soooo concerned about the underhood appearance of my truck, would you care to donate to the "make the under hood of wes's truck prettier" fund? donation amounts start at $5,000.:hehe:

Upper HP Level?

Chris could you post the upper HP limit you recommend for the 62/68 with the 14 housing and race cover?

Also at what PSI do you consider the Charger to be going off of the MAP?

My truck is used mainly for medium duty towing and the MAP enhancment groove has definitely que'd my interest. Thanks.

Chris could you post the upper HP limit you recommend for the 62/68 with the 14 housing and race cover?

My truck is used mainly for medium duty towing and the MAP enhancment groove has definitely que'd my interest. Thanks.

your factory turbo has an MWE groove :confused:

alot of turbo's including stock turbo have that MWE groove, all chris is trying to say is that they tweak the location of that groove in the housing to help air flow, i noticed on my race cover that the groove seems to be alot deeeper in from the leading edge of the compressor blades than the groove found on the stock housings on borg warner turbos. im sure that a 62/68/whatever with a race cover will support 550hp as a single in just about any year cummins, maybe a bit more on a commonrail engine. now you throw a S475-80 under it and that number could jump to who knows what, especially if nitrous or water meth is introduced.

Wes

Give me a call and we can talk about your trucks set up and get a charger plan for it.

As Wes pointed out, I wasnt saying the MWE groove was a unique feature to only our chargers. They are on the factory chargers and most aftermarket chargers as well. I put that info up there to answer Buddy's question about how the MWE worked in the charger.

I believe we tried timing on 3 and 4. If we put RP on lower levels it popped less. Overall the TNT just didn't seem to run as well as the REVO. Did you have a similar problem?

Not on mine, well.... then again I don't have aftermarket Nozzles/Sticks. TNT runs much better than the standard Revo on mine. I have a pressure box so I leave the Smarty's Rail pressure on 1. I can run up to 3 on timing without the popping, but normally run Timing on 1 (Factory Timing), and rely on the TST's Timing Map.

yes yes we cannot forget about the damn pearl harbor 4bt. just wait till i get a injection pump that is 100% haha the dimig killer! I LOVE IT!